“Much better than expected!”

The Highland Center Hrauneyjar
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hella
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had a great night in this place. Its in the middle of no where and looks very uninspiring from the outside. We had one of the smarter rooms with an ensuite - these rooms looked much better than the cheaper ones with shared facilities. They're more modern, larger and on a wing of the building which was quieter as not as many people walked past the room.The breakfast was good and dinner was fine too - burgers, soup, ssalad bar etc. Staff are friendly.

Room Tip: Pay more have have an ensuite room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at Hrauneyjar Highland Center for one night, at first I was disappointed to see the run-down very basic facilities and furniture. However we had such a fantastic service that the look of the guesthouse didn't really matter.
The staff welcomed us, answered all our questions, helped us plan our trip, prepared the sauna for us, prepared dinner, arranged for us to have breakfast early, replied to my email a week later when I thought I had lost my driving licence in the hotel....I could go on, but the point is they are very friendly and helpful.
The room we originally booked was clean but quite small and old. We were upgraded to a nicer room since the bathroom fan in our room was broken. The new room we stayed in was lovely and modern.
We also enjoyed using the sauna and the dinner was very good.
Thank you to Hrauneyjar Guesthouse for a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marla412
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I spent a night here during February which was very cold with very little to do, we were also the only guests staying that night. However i was pleasantly surprised by the room. It might have been quite small but it was one of the newer ones and was nicely decorated and furnished, felt warm and was clean. The only thing i wasn't so sure about was the frosted glass wall for the bathroom.....leaves nothing to the imagination when the bathroom lights are on. The staff here are extremely friendly and helpful. The restaurant is basic but the food is good and well priced for Iceland.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DynamicAV
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed in Hrauneyjar for 3 nights to make trips to the Golden Circle in the west and the glaciers towards the east. We arrived at night, and the snow and ice was already pretty deep on the roads - the drive from Keflavik was long but very exciting! Driving in the snow requires a 4x4 vehicle which we had hired and it can be slow progress. The scenery around the area is absolutely amazing.

We arrived at 9pm on the first night, where the staff had a 3 course meal waiting for us, which was really lovely. The staff were amazing and the food generally was good to very good. The waiter provided us with very informed information about where to travel and what to see and was perfectly polite and amenable. The chef obviously took a lot of pride in his food and we were given a good variety over the 3 nights. Pate with salad, salmon 3 ways and spicy cauliflower soup for starters over the 3 nights, mains were lamb, schnitzel and beautiful spicy/lemon cod. A lovely dessert was provided too. Water and bread were left on the table ready for our arrival each night, on a perfectly laid table.

We were given a spread of cold meats, cheese and toast for breakfast or jam, marmalade & butter with plenty of coffee. They provided packed lunches for our excursion days, and also for our flight back day which was a pleasant surprise.

We were the only guests in the guest house for the 3 nights so it may be very different when they have to provide for the 100 or so rooms, so I imagine the food & service may differ at peak times but I can't imagine the staff being anything other than polite and helpful. We found the place charming. Warm and comfortable, basic rooms with wet room but with clean bedding & towels and perfectly suited our needs. A sauna is available in the building.

I can't rate the fitness centre or swimming pool as I did not use it. That could be one small fault that we were not shown these areas, or maybe they were closed as the hotel was quiet. The sauna was open though.

5 stars for me!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cecelia L
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I went to this place twice only, during a journey through the interior of Iceland. The first time was to use the bathroom facilities. They were clean and a payment was required, which I gladly paid. Actually I had met this payment request for bathroom facilities during my stays in Iceland previously over the last 4 years. I think it is a good thing. It provides a perception that the bathroom will be clean, fresh, and well stocked with the ordinary and necessary requirements for a 'toilet break' It was.

To enter, from my understanding, it is a requirement that shoes be removed, or one is provided with the 'sexiest blue plastic overshoes' money could buy. These are free however, and discarded. Unless the staff sneak them back into the new box, later:-) But if not what a waste

The toilets are clean and fresh, but there is a charge as I said.

The second time we went for dinner. We were staying near-bye, but decided to eat at the centre, instead of the Hotel where we were staying, which was expensive. After donning those sexy blue overshoes, we went into the dinng room to eat. There was a set buffet style 'all you eat' option, or a menu to make a choice. Both my companion and myself chose this option, and we both chose hamburgers, which in this environment seemed an ideal choice

Mine was burger with a blue cheese sauce, and it was more than edible, and in-expensive. Water was available, and free.

A reasonable option, and a good meal. It is an interesting place, in a lovely environment. The staff friendly, and competent. The service good. I can not say anything about the accommodation. I did not require that.

Note I gave this facility a 5 rating, solely because it serves a purpose, for the passing through traveller. It was clean, neat and the only option in the area! It provided what I wanted from it, nothing more, and nothing less.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Aussiegrannie
Reviewed 9 August 2013

we were booked in this Guesthouse via our travelagent. Our room is in the new block, and has individual bathroom and is OK. However the restaurant is a big disaster. It is very unclear how the buffet/ a la carte menu is working. It turned out that the a la carte menu is only having burgers. The alternative is the buffet, which turned out the worst buffet I ever had in my life. The salmon was overcooked, the meat was of undefined origin and looked like one pile of fat/greasy meat. The warm vegetables were also overcooked and tasted everything but vegetables. The dessert from the buffet was a 'synthetic' vanilla mousse....
Unfortunataly, the meal needs to be paid prior to starting at it... so the management is always sure to have your money first...

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rony V
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Note: This is the same guesthouse as the other "Hrauneyjar". - Good location for a stay if you plan to drive the F208 to Landmannalaugar and Eldgjá or the Sprengisandur road F26 (only with a well-equipped 4WD jeep, these are rough roads with rivers to cross! - well, no rivers to cross if you only drive to Landmannalaugar and park before the river there, but lots of rivers later, and the road is still not suitable for regular cars). The road to Hrauneyjar itself is good and paved, if you drive from the southwest on road number 32. However, there is not a lot to see in the immediate vicinity. - The guesthouse offers simple, clean rooms and reasonable food - not cheap, but it's Iceland and there are not a lot of accommodation options in the area. Very friendly and helpful staff. Whether you like this place may also depend on whether you find a rustic touch of "Alpine cabin" agreeable. Oh, and they follow the Icelandic tradition: On entering the house, you have to take off your shoes, but they also offer plastic shoe covers as an alternative. I stayed in a single room with shared bathroom, my friends in a so-called "economy double room" with private bathroom. The shared bathroom was fine for me, I never had to wait for long. But note that this room has not even a lavatory, and it was located at a long hallway leading from the reception to other parts of the complex with lots of people passing by, so I could sleep only really well later in the night when the commotion was over (thin walls). My friends found their double room nice, it was apparently in a newer part of the complex and looked certainly a bit "fresher". Free WLAN internet is available.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends