Hotel Ranga
US$232
US$213
Hotel Selfoss(Selfoss)(Great Value!)
US$242
Arctic Nature Hotel(Selfoss)(Great Value!)
US$265
US$139
Hotels.com
Agoda.com
1,813 results
All reviewsnorthern lightshot tubwake up callpolar beardeluxe roomthe hotel managersalmonranch stylegolden circlebeautiful hotelsmoked puffinbar menupool tablelog cabinsouth coastfour nightsset menu
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I complained about the price of the room, €300 a night for a double. I was shocked at what was behind the door when I walked in. This is no better than an American motel with newer Scandinavian fabrics on the beds and curtains. The bathroom is plastic and the overall size is ridiculous for the money. Per square meter this must be the highest price I've ever paid. I've stayed at some of the world's best hotels (Park Hyatt Tokyo, The Dorchester London, Mandarin Oriental Geneva, La Reserve, the list goes on. I say this to reinforce that I'm not making a casual opinion and I know the world market for what a decent room should cost. This place is not it. Pick a local B&B, save 70% and have an authentic Icelandic experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank David G
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband booked this as a surprise for our anniversary and a "significant" birthday. We stayed in late Jan/early Feb 2012. I was lucky enough to stay in the "Antarctica Suite". The room was huge, with a jacuzzi bath in the room, flanked by two splendid emporer penguins. It had a large balcony overlooking the River Ranga. The room was immaculate. The hotel itself is built in a log cabin style, some rooms face the river and some the car park. It is in a remote location. Staff are helpful and very friendly. The restaurant is outstanding, although not cheap ( that said, nothing in Iceland is). Most guests appeared to stay only a night or two. We stayed for 5 nights and the menu is limited, so had to order the same thing on a couple of nights, but no real hardship as the quality of the food was very very good. Chef and hotel manager engage with the guests from time to time, which is a nice touch. its worth noting that certainly in winter they are very few alternative local dining options, other than a couple of neon lit American style diner joints in Hella. As other guests note you can sign up for the "Northern Lights wake up call", this came for us on the first night, much to our surprise as it was very cloudy. However the clouds parted and we got to see a brief display before the clouds rolled back in, and did not clear for the rest of our stay. The weather was truly miserable during our stay......but hey this was Iceland in January, and there is about 5 hours of daylight, so worth spending on a nice room for a longer stay. The main attractions are all within driving distance. WiFi is included as is room service tea and coffee although rooms also have nice coffee machines with the little pods. So in summary would thoroughly recommend, if you can book one of the themed rooms, they appear considerably larger than standard rooms, and if you go in winter you may get lucky and see the lights.

Room Tip: If you can, book a themed room. They seem to be larger than normal rooms, and a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This is a very good hotel, but I don't understand all the amazing reviews.

For the price, I didn't find the room to be large at all. Don't confuse the suites you see on the website for a standard room. It was comfortable, but not luxurious. Same goes for the bathroom. My biggest complaint was that the tub did not have a shower curtain. It's not easy to take a shower without getting water everywhere. Not impossible if you're careful, but not easy. The bed is soft. I liked it, but people who like firm mattresses won't enjoy it.

The restaurant was quite good. Good thing because unless you have a car, you really can't go anywhere else for dinner. I recommend the mushroom soup. Delicious.

For the same price, I've stayed in luxurious hotels and I didn't think this hotel could compare. It's very good nonetheless, and for lack of other choices, probably the best place to stay in the area.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank roo514
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We spent 6 nights here, and this was a fabulous hotel! The rooms were large and comfortable, and the jacuzzi tub was a great bonus. The outdoor hot tubs were also fabulous. We ate 2 dinners at the hotel, and the food was phenomenal. I loved the way each course was explained to us. in addition, the wait staff went out of their way to find bread for me one night, since I have a nut allergy, and the bread being offered was a nut bread.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2012

It looks like the Ponderosa, a log-cabin structure in the middle of nowhere with everything you need for a perfect stay: luxurious soaking tub (the only bathtub I encountered in the 4 places I stayed in Iceland), comfortable beds, private patio with a view of swans and their cygnets on the river in front of me, outdoor hot tubs for relaxation, restaurant with a drop-dead view in all directions, good food, a spirited bartender who whipped up his own creation for us: the "Dexter Morgan" -- and we lived to tell the story! The giant polar bear in the lobby "handles all complaints" the proprietor told us, but we had none. I want to go back in November to stay in one of their creative and spectacular suites (we had a regular room) and see the Northern Lights. This place is a treasure and a treat.

Room Tip: At first we were shown to a room overlooking the parking lot. When we asked for a room with a view -- the OTHER side of the building -- they graciously led us to a room with a private patio that opened onto the river and mountain view. MUCH better.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple