“we loved our stay in this hotel - food fantastic!”
Review of Hotel Ranga

Hotel Ranga
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hella
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We arrived around 5.00pm having leisurely driven from Reyjavik at 10.30am, doing the Golden Circle tour. Reception staff very welcoming and helpful. Signed up on the first night for the "Northern Lights" alert call and sure enough we got 2 calls and had a brilliant display! Didn't experience the hot tubs as it was too cold for us. The food in the restaurant was absolutely fantastic. Over the 2 nights we had smoked puffin, lamb, monkfish, sea perch, chicken and couple of desserts - nothing disappointed. Only slight issue was when I had a glass of house wine and towards then meal asked for another when it was nearly empty - the (slightly grumpy) young waiter came along and topped up my glass which was not even empty and when I said that my glass wasn't even filled as full as he had filled my first one, he just walked away. Not great customer service. this hotel is in a great location for exploring southern Iceland.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,716)

Reviewed 11 November 2013

The reviews of this hotel were excellent so when we went to Iceland to celebrate a 50th birthday, we stayed at the hotel Ranga. We weren't disappointed! The Hotel is cozy and warm and beautifully decorated. There are some quirky touches like the life size bear and "false leg" bar stools. The whole place has a friendly feel to it.
Breakfast was a feast of fruits, cereals, meats, waffles and a full english if you can manage it. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but ordered a bar meal which turned out to be the best burger and wedges we've ever tasted!
The bedroom was cozy with a door out to a veranda and easy access to the hot tub outside. The bed was very comfortable with lovely down duvets and pillows.
We were lucky enough to get the Northern Lights call from the staff, so we watched this from the car park outside. Fantastic!
We really enjoyed our stay here and would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo O
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We booked Hotel Ranga on the basis of very positive tripadvisor reviews, and were very glad that we did. The welcome was warm and the reception staff were very helpful when we locked ourselves out of our room 10 minutes after getting there (there's a very small lever on the face of the lock to prevent it locking). Everyone spoke excellent English (the TV channels had some live BBC and ITV programmes). The room was a nice size, with a very comfortable bed, huge LCD TV, although we did find the seperate quilts a bit odd. Even though there was a frost overnight on both nights we were there the hotel was lovely and warm.

We had food in the retaurant on the first night, and whilst expensive, the menu was certainly different and we tried the reindeer and Puffin. The food in the restaurant was very good as was the excellent room service that we had on the second night. Breakfast was excellent, make sure you keep some room for the delicious pastries!

The location is superb, away from any background lighting, we kept waiting for that call in the middle of the night that didn't come, unfortunately the Northern Lights didn't come out during our visit. It's also well situated and an easy drive from Reykjavik and an easy daytrip to Vik.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed in a wonderful massive suite, strangely numbered room zero, which the kids (6/7 yrs old) thought was funny. The room has lovely views all around sou you can actually see the northen lights (we only saw a faint version in early october) without leaving the room. Little pond in front with ducks. Lovely bathroom with two showers and in-room jacuzzi. Everyday we had private supejeep tours, so we only used the hotel in the morning and evening. Staff very friendly and Manager in the evening would stop by at each table to talk to the guests. Lovely dinner every night....highly recommend the monkfish!

Room Tip: Room zero suite is superb
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was my 2nd trip to Iceland & my 40th birthday present to myself. I experienced Customer Service money can't buy. Whatever I needed they had including an orthopaedic pillow. Since I found out I'd be staying here, I've been reading the feedback & thinking nowhere can be that good. But the comments visitors have used to describe this place have not & will never do Hotel Ranga justice.

This is the kind of place you need to experience to understand how special a temporary home this place is. As soon as I arrived, it felt warm, cosy & all the staff were friendly on our arrival at 7.45pm. We ate in the restaurant at 8.30pm & after I got over the guilt, I tried the puffin which was sensational. The only 'blip' was it took a hour for main course to arrive so I was too tired to enjoy the dish by then. The waitress had recognised our wait & apologised. The owner was coming to say hello to guests & the staff were very professional, hard working & described the dishes as they arrived before we ate. The hotel is an excellent base for the Golden Circle & along South Coast.

The room was perfect, cosy & very clean. Own balcony over looking the river (room 20). The 2nd night we ate in the upstairs lounge which was very comfy & cosy. The food was great again, we had the Skyr cake & tried a 'Hekla' cocktail - both yummy. We decided to eat in the restaurant on our last night & I had the puffin again plus got to try the Reindeer Carpaccio which was stunning.

We had a chat with the manager & he was hopeful for a view of the Northern Lights as well as getting a sense of how proud he is of his team & the hotel plus how much customers are cared about. He even knew we'd been there for 2 nights when he came to talk to us. After a gorgeous evening, we were packing when at 9.30pm we got 'that' call about the lights. Outside it wasn't initially the green lights but helpful information from the staff & I knew what I was seeing, the camera could also see the red & green at the start which the human eyes couldn't. Magically a tripod appeared plus help with camera settings from the manager & one of the other staff members - I could have hugged them both & did eventually give the manager a hug or two.

I spent 3 hours in the dark gazing at the most spectacular light show I've ever seen & I'll never forget. Before going to bed, there was a another chat with the manager along with a generous measure of Icelandic Vodka to warm me up before going to bed at 1.00am. I will go back to Iceland & a stay at Hotel Ranga .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank AliGEngland
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed two nights at the Hotel Ranga at the end of October 2013, in a standard downstairs room overlooking the river. We were lucky enough not to coincide with any coach trips! The room was OK - not spectacular and rather small, but comfortable enough and with an extremely good bed and nice quality bedding. The bathroom had a large bath, which was appreciated as we were too chicken to brave the icy wind and use the hot tubs. The staff were absolutely lovely, without exception. The restaurant is spectacular at breakfast, with huge glass walls and a fabulous view across the plain to Hekla. Our one quibble was the restaurant service, which was appallingly slow on our first night, considering the place was not excessively busy. We had been travelling all day and were exhausted and hungry, and really did not appreciate waiting a full hour from ordering before our starter arrived, and a further 35 minutes for our main, turning down the constant offers of extra drinks because we didn't want to overdo it on our empty stomachs. Considering the Ranga offers a very limited menu - not complaining; limited is fine if it's all good, which it was - they should have been able to provide us with a simple meal of soup and a main course in less than two hours. Full marks to the kindly waiter who obviously saw we were fading and brought us more complimentary bread, and apologised several times for the delay, but by the time my (very tasty) dinner arrived I was almost past the point of being able to eat it. I noted later in the hotel guide that it does actually say that restaurant service may be delayed at busy times, but all that says to me is that they know there's a problem - so why not fix it, particularly when you are charging your guests about £60 a head for three courses? And it really wasn't that busy! In the interests of fairness I should point out that the service the second night was better, that everything we ate there was delicious, and that the staff were absolutely brillant about alerting us to the aurora, not minding in the least when the entire dining room emptied immediately to rush outside and go ooh and aah a lot, and serving us our dessert with a smile when we reappeared an hour and a half later to finish our meal. It is an amazing place from which to see the aurora, with huge dark skies and almost no light pollution, and we would most definitely go back. Just sorting out the kitchen would make it perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We were travelling as a family of four (kids 7 and 10) and opted for the superior room with extra bed. Having come from the lovely, homely Hotel Framnes at Grundarfjordur, we had high hopes of Ranga. Check in was smooth and friendly. We were right at the far end of the hotel, which suited us well. First impression of the room was that it was small. The sofa bed was made up for the kids and there was no room at all (we had to fold it up when not in use to be able to move around). Bathroom, on the other hand was huge - clean, modern - best we'd had in iceland, with nice toiletries too. Plenty of large towels and the hair dryer had a diffuser!

We ate in the bar every night. It was perfectly nice, although choice somewhat limited.

Desk staff were friendly and helpful, to the kids as well, who ran several little errand for us.

What made this 4 night stay worth the price was the Northern lights wake-up service. We could go to bed (with our emergency aurora clothing beside us) safe in the knowledge that if they appeared we would see them. We saw them each of the 4 nights at various times and with varying intensity. Fabulous!

Room Tip: north side rooms for Northern lights watching, south for river and hot tubs
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank tarkoid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hella
Stracta Hotel
#1 of 3 in Hvolsvollur
Hotel Laekur
Hotel Laekur
#3 of 11 in Hella

Been to Hotel Ranga? Share your experiences!