“Excellent Hotel, Brilliant Service”
Review of Hotel Ranga

Hotel Ranga
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hella
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We visited for 2 nights with friends. All the staff were not only friendly but very helpful too. Both the Manager and owner came across at different times to chat to us during meal times. Rooms were clean, comfortable, reasonably sized and had outside seating with access to the garden areas, hot tubs, walks, the river etc. Breakfasts were excellent with a very good choice of hot and cold foods not always found in similar hotels. Dinners were quite superb - good menu choice, very tastily cooked, reasonable quantity too. Price? Not cheap but could have been more expensive and we would not have complained. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and if we were in the area again would have no problems booking there. Not the cheapest but very very good!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to have good view on the ground floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,696)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed at a nearby budget guesthouse but came to Hotel Ranga for their breakfast buffet, which was really excellent.

The next day I foolishly put regular gas in my diesel rental car; this was on a Sunday morning, on Pentecost, so I knew that getting help would be difficult. The attendant at the local gas station and the woman manning the emergency number at my rental company couldn't/wouldn't help me so, in desperation, I returned to Hotel Ranga.

The woman at the front desk, Sylvia, was incredibly kind and helpful. She phoned around for help and got my rental company to agree to bring a new rental car to me. She offered my travel partner and me free breakfast and allowed us to wait in the hotel until the new car arrived. She even encouraged us to stay in the nice lounge upstairs and play billiards.

The owner chatted with us and, when he found out we'd been planning to go to the Westman Islands that day, did some research on later ferry journeys to Heimaey.

All of this was for two people who weren't even hotel guests! Their service was exceptional. When coupled with the beautiful hotel and lovely grounds, I think this hotel merits serious consideration. If I'm ever in Hvolsvöllur again, I will be staying here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed on an organised trip and travelled from here to geyser and other Golden Circle attractions easily. It looks nothing as you drive towards it in the middle of nowhere but once you step inside it is warm and friendly. The food and drink was great quality and wide choice.

Hot tubs were not all working when we went but no issues as no one else was using them. We didn't manage to see the northern lights but that didn't matter. If the clouds had been with us then this would have been a great spot to see them.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I visited in late May and have heard about this hotel prior to the trip. We saw mixed reviews on Tripadvisor but while it will be one of more expensive stays in our Iceland trip, we went ahead to book a standard double room for a one night stay, on our way to Vik.

I will start with the services. From check-in to dining at the restaurant to the checkout process, the services are 5-star and everything was professional and up to standard you will find in the best hotels in any cities. The staff tried their best to accommodate all your needs (although everywhere we went in Iceland, people were friendly and helpful). We arrived at around 9:30pm and was worried we won’t be able to get dinner (we were hungry!). The manager told us it was no problem, the kitchen will stay open for us for as long as we need, we can check in first, settle down and head to the restaurant whenever we were ready. It was a simple gesture but we had the impression they will go a long way to assist you in whatever you need.

The facilities at the hotel is nice, with a hot tub in the lawn free for use. But the room being a standard double room feels a bit old and dated. I am sure the more expensive rooms (of which we have seen pictures of in magazines) are significantly nicer (also significantly more expensive, and I am not sure an average person visiting Iceland should spend that kind of money on a room). Although technically there is nothing to fault the room, I feel the room can be made a bit larger and more comfortable – many hotels at the sub USD100 range are larger with better furniture (especially with so much space around!).

All in all, the hotel has a very convenient location for those driving the ring road and the restaurant and services are seriously top notch. The experience is slightly lessened by a mediocre small room. We have heard a lot about the hotel so we have no regret in trying it for a night, but perhaps not for an extended stay.

1  Thank jjjason1
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here two nights in May and we would definitely recommend the hotel but be prepared for the cost. It is 4 km out of Hella which is a tiny town. The location is remote and rather stark, with the mountains in the background but nothing else surrounding the hotel. From the outside it looks more like a lodge made of timber and does not look particularly charming or inviting. That changes the minute you step into the hotel. The staff were very engaging and helpful, the reception area is small but cozy and warm. We had a standard room and it was comparable to a Hilton or Marriott in the U.S. We thought the room was definitely overpriced for the quality of the room.

If you stay here, you have to eat here as Hella has one restaurant which did not appear particularly good in looks or by reading the menu. Fortunately, Ranga had exellent food, both night we ate there our food was stellar. Their lamb was the tenderest we both had ever had. Dinner and a bottle of wine is going to run about 200 U.S. dollars (more of course depending upon the wine you choose). The service was excellent and the manager of the hotel made a point to visit at each table to talk and engage us which showed his care for the place. The dining room is lovely and is surrounded by windows. Breakfast buffet was also excellent, a very good selection beyond the normal fare in most hotels in Iceland. One other nice touch was that they had "happy hour" in their bar area which was definitely welcome given the high price of alcohol in Iceland.

The Ranga is a good location after you have done the Golden Circle or directly from Reykjavik which would take about 1.5 hours. We went to Vik one day from the Ranga and that was fine, but I think basing at the Ranga and then going to Jokulsarlon would not be convenient. As we were planning on driving the whole Ring Road, we did not want to do too much backtracking.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I stayed on night in Hotel Ranga as we was going to Explorer the South part of Iceland. I have heard it was the best hotel in the region, and be sure it is correct. The hotel lays in the middle of nothing, just by a river. It is constructet in huge timber and it gives it all a rough look wich I do like. Must be importet as we have not seen any forrest here ;)
We got the four dishes menu and included wines. All was perfect and each portion nearly to big (did I write that) we got a nice buzz as the wines was plenty and perfect mach to each dish. The owner of the hotel Mr. Fridrik Palsson took the time to stop at our table in the resturang and we got the history of his life, nice to meet a hotel ovner WHO cares about the guest. The beds where perfect suitet for us after a long day at the golden circle. All in all we can really recomend you to take atleast on night at Ranga while in Iceland. Unfortanaly the Price kept us for staying longer

1  Thank anubbi
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I've stayed at the Ranga several times, having first seen it when it was little more than the fishing lodge it once was. What marks it out from the ordinary is despite having morphed from tiny lodge to larger hotel, it hasn't lost its specialness along the way. The food is some of the best to be had in Iceland, the owner driver service still suffuses everything and everybody and it's kept things a little quirky. The location is also perfect for the south coast: you can get along to Jokulsarlon and back in a day, up on to Myrdalsjokull in half an hour and do the Golden Circle on your way to or from Reykjavik.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hella
Stracta Hotel
#3 of 11 in Hella
Hotel Selid
Hotel Selid
#1 of 11 in Hella

Been to Hotel Ranga? Share your experiences!