Hotel Ranga
Hotel Eyjar(Vestmannaeyjar)
Hotel Vestmannaeyjar(Vestmannaeyjar)
Hotel Selfoss(Selfoss)
1,789 results
All reviewsnorthern lightshot tubwake up callpolar beardeluxe roomthe hotel managersalmonranch stylegolden circlebeautiful hotelsmoked puffinbar menupool tablelog cabinsouth coastfour nightsset menu
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights in January hoping to see the Northern Lights.
Couldn't really tell you what the hotel looked like as we never saw it during the daylight hours but the hotel inside was very clean and the reception staff were welcoming.
The owner introduced himself at dinner to our party and asked us if we wanted to be informed when the northern lights appeared, he was true to his word as we were half way through dinner on the first night when he said that they had appeared so we all got up and left our dinner to rush outside to look at sights.
I went with me husband and booked the holiday through Discover the World on an escorted tour not realising you spend every hour with the group except when you are in your room. You had to have dinner all together so it was a set menu so couldn't choose from the menu, the waiters / waitresses just put the food in front of you so we didn't know what we was eating unless we asked, there was no menu on the table and the staff didn't say what it was, it was ok but I personally didn't like some of it but I wouldn't have chose it if we could pick.
The Reception has a big stuffed polar bear in the lobby which is a good photo opportunity. The rooms are comfortable and very warm and the lounge upstairs was very comfortable with big leather sofa's to relax in with a drink.

They also had hot tubs outside for guests to use, we never did but a couple of our party did at night and said it was amazing looking up at the stars.

Overall the hotel was ok but as we didn't see it in the daylight I couldn't really get my bearings as to what was around thate area all I know was it was about a two hour drive from the airport.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Just returned from the Hotel Ranga, following a 4 night stay for my sister's wedding.
The hotel was perfect, rooms nice and spacious, we had the deluxe rooms which were better than the standard rooms. Upon our arrival at the hotel were the Northern Lights, and they have an amazing view at the Ranga. My sister also got upgraded to the Africa Suite for the duration of the stay, which was very kind of Frederick.

The hotel is situated basically in the middle of nowhere, but the location is great. Peace and quiet during the whole stay.

The hotel has 3 outdoor hot-tubs, all naturally heated, really relaxing.

The staff make the hotel amazing; there is nothing too much for the staff....Kola the front desk manager was great, so too was Caroleena the head waitress, service perfect. The owner Frederick too was a great guy, along with the assistant manager!!! They made my sisters wedding perfect!!! Bryndis too was great in making the wedding arrangements, which could not have been done without her! Thank you so much.

Each day the breakfast was perfect too; always plenty to eat, from fresh fruit, to bacon&eggs...great way to start the day.

If you are looking for a truly relaxing time in Icealand, this is 100% the place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Iceland wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I thought it would have a much more upmarket, Scandinavian feel than it did. Even in central Reykjavik quite a few of the houses looked a little run down. However, the Ranga was a glorious exception. It doesn't have an initial wow factor (unless you count the 8 foot polar bear that greets you in the Reception) and the long corridors have a bit of a travelodge feel. Our room had the sofa bed turned into a bed for our kids so there wasn't much room, but then you probably don't need to spend too much time in your room. It had a large bathroom with big whirlpool bath that we all (just) could get in (kids are young!).

The first wow comes when you go into the dining room, which is glass walled on three sides and looks out over a huge vista with a wide and fast flowing river in the foreground and mountains on the horizon. When we were there there was snow on the ground, and in the morning light (the sun comes up quite late even in February, partly because Iceland is on GMT which it should really be an hour behind) there was a beautiful pale blue, almost purple glow. The south side of the hotel definitely has the better views; however, if you're going in Winter there's a lot to be said for getting a North facing room (which look out onto the car park, although you on a clear day you can see mountains and the Hekla volcano in the distance) as this is where the Northern Lights are (the clue's in the name!). Before going to bed you can ask the hotel to put your name on a list and they will call your room if the Northern Lights can be seen - which they did on the first night. Then, with a north facing room you can watch them out of the window, although for the full effect it's better to go outside (if you can brave the cold).

The restaurant food was good and creative, and they also had a menu for kids. My son (aged 3)'s favourite bit of the whole holiday was going in the hot tub on the south side of the hotel. This involved a quick walk through the snow in bare feet (might have made sense to bring flip flops) and then a lovely long soak looking out over the snowy landscape. Apart from the kids being noisy, it was truly blissful.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank rosiefromlondon
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We arrived at Hotel Ranga, on my 40th birthday to a very friendly and professional reception staff. To our surprise we had been upgraded to one of the amazing suites and spend the next two nights in "Africa". We were told we were upgraded because the room had not been booked out which was amazing because not all hotels will do this, although I'd like to think it was because it was my birthday :)

After relaxing for a few hours in this beautiful suite, we went to dinner in the restaurant which was such a positive experience. The wait staff provided top-notch service and were very knowledgeable about the food and wine. I had the monkfish and langoustines and my partner the lamb and langoustines and it was absolutely delicious. My partner also had the Hotel Ranga Fish Soup which was sublime. Desserts were of the same high standard.

The next morning, we received some great advice from reception about where to go and what to do along the South Coast. We saw some amazing things based on their recommendation and also did a Glacier Walk at their suggestion which was fantastic.

The second night we ate from the "bar" menu in the beautiful lounge on the second floor (which far too few people use by the way as we had it all to ourselves). The bartender, who also served us our food was so helpful and deliberately non-obtrusive in making the trek up the stairs every so often to check how we were getting on. The "bar" food was of the same standard as the dining room and I took the opportunity to have some more of the delicious fish soup. I fully appreciate the fact that some people comment on how expensive Iceland is, however, I didn't find the prices drastically different from Central London. The overall bill (other than the accommodation) was just under £200 for two nights dinner (desserts and appetisers on one night), half bottle of wine, a few Gin and Tonics and a few cappuccinos; not cheap, but worth it in my opinion.

All in all, an excellent experience at this beautiful hotel to which I will return very soon!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SARJPM
Reviewed 18 February 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights during a short break to Iceland. The hotel is located just outside the tiny town of Hella, up a little side road. Upon arrival, we were shown to our room which had 2 single beds pushed together to make a double. Unfortunately, this made the room almost impossible to negotiate, with one side of the bed being right up against the wall and no light above for reading. Therefore, we separated the two beds which made it much easier for us as we now had a bedside table and light we could both use.

The room was nicely furnished with TV and free wi-fi, but rather on the small side. The bathroom had a huge corner bath with shower, which was great to soak in after a day out in the freezing cold of a Nordic winter, but again was rather on the cramped side. However, everywhere was spotlessly clean and lovely and warm.

The staff were really helpful, giving us all sorts of advice about where to go, what to see etc. They also called us in our room late one evening when the Northern lights were scheduled to appear (you can request this at check in). The remote location of the hotel means there is pracitcally no light pollution, so if you go in winter time, this is a real draw. Breakfast was very good: eggs bacon, sausages, fruit, cereals, wonderful home-baked bread etc, all served in a gorgeous room with huge floor to ceiling windows, complete with stunning view.

We didn't eat in the restaurant for dinner, finding the food very expensive and not to our taste (puffin?!). The nearby town of Hella has a couple of restaurants and we ate two nights in a row in Aarhus restaurant: nothing fancy but very tasty and good portions.

Despite the slightly cramped rooms, this was a great hotel and somewhere I'd definitely go back to.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple