“I want to go back!”

Farm Holiday Drangshlid
Espoo, Finland
“I want to go back!”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

First of all, I read some reviews that said the rooms were dirty and cold. Well don't worry, they've just been completely redone, in fact, me and my friends were the first guests to stay there! Needless to say, the rooms were immaculate and very cosy. The decoration in the rooms was quite minimalist and classy. The only negative thing I could think about was that the Wi-Fi connection was a little shaky, but that actually got fixed during our stay.

The food was really good. In our group we had one vegetarian, one person who was severely allergic to many different foods, and one person who didn't eat fish. We were a difficult bunch, but the chef lady was really friendly and willing to co-operate, and always brought us these huge, delicious portions.

The farm is located near Eyjafjallajökull in a beautiful spot right next to the mountains. There are thee adorable labrador retrievers, horses and cows nearby, and at night all you can hear is the squawking of the birds that nest in the mountainside. Besides that, it's wonderfully quiet. No light pollution either. While the farm on the outside is quite plain, as most farms in the countryside, the splendor of nature makes up for that. The seaside is nearby, and the farm is within a short drive from two magnificent waterfalls and the Eyjafjallajokull glacier/volcano. Also, there is a geothermally heated pool nearby, you can ask the owners about it. It's quite a hike away, but really worth the visit.

The real reason I'm raving about the hotel, though, are the owners. We only stayed for four days, but they really left a great impression on me. They were so kind, charming, and really smart, too - as someone said on FourSquare, the farmhost Jón really knows a LOT about the surroundings and Iceland in general.

We all had a great time and I really recommend this place. :)

Room Tip: Room 14 had a really nice view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here with my family back in March and it was a very nice well presented place to stay. The lady that owns the place was very nice and spoke very good English. Breakfast was very nice and the beds were very comfortable. I would be more than happy to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Was late at night and we just happened to drive by this place around 8:45pm. Luckily the kitchen was still open. We sat down and ordered fish of the day (Cod) and Artic Char. There were 2 other guests at the time. The host was friendly. Food took a little while to come out, probably because they had to wait for the microwave to finish cooking. That’s right, we heard multiple beeps of the microwave. I’m not sure if they cooked our fish that day, but definitely the potato. The salad was decent. Only issue is that the food is expensive. For 2 main courses for 2 people, it cost 7.050 ISK. I just assume that food in Iceland will be expensive overall and the food won’t be that good. I do have to say that this place, the food was alright. It was definitely better than the food we had in Boston Airport, at Durgin Park. I think one thing to remember is that the places here can’t get things that spoil fast because of the paucity of guests. Turnaround is slow so they can only offer things that can be frozen. I bet it’s difficult to find fresh vegetables here. We’ve only seen on grocery store and that was in the capital. Haven’t seen one since being on the road heading east towards Glacier Lagoon. If there’s a better place and cheaper, I would recommend going there. This place is alright but I wouldn't recommend coming here for the food. Not sure about the rooms as we did not stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Hvolsvollur hotels

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Our night at drangshlid was by far the worst on our ten days Iceland trip - the room was dirty and cold.
Breakfast was okay - comparable to everywhere else on Iceland.
I suggest you skip dinner at the farm restaurant and go to the much nicer nearby Gamla fjosid / Old Cowhouse restaurant.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room in the main house - maybe it's better over there.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The rooms are simple (clean/no frills), but the food in their restaurant was very good and the location is both convenient and beautiful--I would say "dramatic" even, with the building nestled right at the bottom of a gorgeous hill. Neighboring farms also have ruins of old turf farm buildings that you can walk to, and which are quite interesting. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed at Farm Holiday Drangshlid for one night in July 2013 while on a driving tour of the south of Iceland. We stayed in an en suite room with 2 twin beds. It was very quiet, clean and comfortable and one of the more spacious rooms we stayed with on our vacation. The staff was very friendly and even walked us to our room when we arrived. Buffet breakfast was decent. I cannot speak to their dinner menu since we drove about a half hour into Vik for dinner (and had a lovely meal at Strondin Bistro). Wifi is available in the restaurant area but not in the rooms. There was a very friendly dog there who loves playing catch with rocks! I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Good location beneath Eyjafjallajokull. Older style outhouses with dorm style en suite rooms, warm, clean and tidy. There is the option of self catering in the common area of each house or eating in the restaurant which we did for 2 nights. Food was lovely and the service was attentive. Definitely a good base for exploring nearby skogafoss, geothermal pool and westmann islands.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hvolsvollur
Stracta Hotel Hella
Eldsto Art Cafe / Bistro / Pottery / Guesthouse
Borg Apartments
Borg Apartments
#1 of 13 in Hvolsvollur

Been to Farm Holiday Drangshlid? Share your experiences!