Volcano Huts Thorsmork
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
UMI Hotel(Hvolsvollur)
US$304
US$295
Hotwire.com
Country Hotel Anna(Hvolsvollur)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbunk bedsday hikingremote locationsoupsprivate cabinamazing sceneryrustic accommodationssmall kitchenettebus connectionsshower blockdry clothesyou're payingsell beerarctic foxeswarm poolcamping facilitiesan adventure
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have spent just one night at Volcano Huts campsite, but even though can only recommend this place. After hiking a big part of Laugavegur, this has been really great place to spend the last night and rest a bit. The facilities are ok, the campground nice and the main building (with restaurant and reception) warm and welcoming. Although we have not tried the food, it looked really well made and tasty. Reception lady (blond girl with glasses) was very friendly and helpful. The best thing for campers arriving to this place is the fact, that all facilities are included in the overnight charge (ISK 1.600 p.p in a tent). That means you do not have to pay extra for showers, toilets, warm pool (not really a pool, more like a pond, but still ok) or sauna. Also campers are welcome to use a generously sized kitchen with cooker & some basic kitchen staff. Also there is a direct bus connection to Reykjavik. If we ever make it back to Thorsmork, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lucasprague
Bjarni F, Manager at Volcano Huts Thorsmork, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear lucasprague, thank you for visiting us and for your review. We have been very fortunate to have thousands of campers staying with us since we opened our doors in 2012. We installed the sauna last year and this year we hope to install more showers to improve our services to our visitors.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Iceland and hope that you have the chance to visit us again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Me and my family had a great stay in Volcano Huts.
The surroundings are stunning and despite some rain we took a small hike recommended by the staff. All the staff was very friendly and they took time to give us tips regarding our stay and to answer all our questions.

The food was delicious, but we were offered broiled chicken, soup, salad and home made bread. The friendly atmosphere gave us comfort in staying there with kids and a mother-in-law and we all had a great time.

I can recommend Volcano Huts for anybody who is ready for some adventure in Icelandic nature and with a friendly and welcoming place to stay at night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Anna, thank you for staying with us and for your review. We certainly enjoyed having you with us and hope you and your family have the chance to visit Þórsmörk again.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Volcano Huts is placed in a unique location, that is true. It is also lots of fun to get there, through all the volcanic terrain. If you have good company and low accomodation expectations you will enjoy the stay. But it is also quite misleading.

It would be very helpful from their part if
1. They had sent us the correct phone number, so we could call them if we needed help to find the way or... get out of a river
2. Informed us of the cost before hand. Especially if you book through 3rd party, you don't know neither what is needed (sleeping bags etc) nor what it will cost you exactly, neither what kind of vehicle you need to get there.
3. It is not stated how difficult it is to get there (need special vehicle not just any SUV).
4. Additional charges for bed linen, and also last 1 mile of the way.

Clearly with 4 Bulldozers in place you could have opened the way through the last river, but I guess charging an arbitrary amount of money to stranded guests is more profitable.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Spyros M
Bjarni F, Manager at Volcano Huts Thorsmork, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Spyros M, thank you for your comment and for taking the time to visit us with your group of 16 people. While I share your opinion about the beauty of our location in Þórsmörk, I would like to respond to your comments about our services and the information that you were given prior to your arrival.

1. If the phone number you were sent was incorrect, I apologize. It had been misplaced in the travel documents you received. I have personally made sure that it is now correct in all our booking material and websites we are affiliated with. Still, I would like to point out that by a simple search on Google, our correct phone number appears in at least five different search results, including on our own website, our Facebook site, Twitter, Google Places and various other information and booking sites. I am glad that you found the right number, while on your way here, so we could take your call and I could personally guide you over one of the 15 rivers we have to cross to get here.
2. Regarding information about the cost, I would like to point out that all booking engines we are affiliated with, including Hostelworld where you made your booking, show the total cost of every available rooming option as well as the total cost of every booking before a booking is made. This includes all taxes and fees. Information about what is included is also clearly available under “Things to note” and “Property information” on Hostelworld, where you made your booking.
3. Information about how to get here is easily available on our website as well as all booking and information sites we use, including Hostelworld. This information includes a map and a special warning about crossing rivers and that the last 4 kilometers to our location are not accessible by any cars.
4. The information about what is included in our prices is available in all our informational material and on the Hostelworld website. Booking a dormitory room in similar hostels to ours, through the Hostelworld website, usually does not include bed linen.

We are constantly trying to improve our practices and I will take your comments seriously. We will continue to make sure all our visitors have all the relevant information and ask them to read it carefully before arriving.

As a response to your last comment, I have to say that I do not know of any hostel where transportation to and from the place is included in the price of the accommodation. This is a service that we do not normally perform and especially not for groups, as there is a daily bus schedule and the bus company decides the price. Our location, and the fact that we have to cross multiple big glacial rivers to get here, make it more challenging and more expensive to offer services so far from the main road and other services.

I thank you for the chance to get this information out and sincerely hope that you and your group enjoyed the rest of your stay in Iceland.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We have booked to stay there and we arrived with our SUVs until the last river where it was not possible to cross.Then we have been asked to pay each £5 for a 5' ride to the hostel!Yes £25 for each ride, beats a London taxi in price!We tried to contact them the day before that because it was unclear in the guide of how to reach them but the phone number in the confirmation email was wrong! So even if we're wanted to cancel the booking was impossible.
When we arrived we had to pay extra £15 for bed linen!nearly 2\3 of the price we paid for each bed..At this point there was no option to cancel or return because the track wouldnt cross the river until next morning.Clear blackmail,its either you pay or wait next morning to leave! Short story instead of £25 per night it cost us with linen and transport £50.Their add in hostelworld is totally misleading!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Georgios P
Bjarni F, Manager at Volcano Huts Thorsmork, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Georgios P, thank you for your comment and for taking the time to stay with us. At the same time I hope you enjoyed your trip to Iceland, I regret that your stay with us was something else than you expected. However, I feel compelled to answer to your review, as in my opinion it is misleading and unfair.

First of all, the information about how to get here is available on our website and on any other booking services, including Hostelworld where you booked your stay. This information is also available, along with what is included in the price, in all our emails and confirmation letters. The bus schedule with arrival and departure hours is also available on our website.

On the Hostelworld website, where you booked your stay, it is clearly stated that bed linen is not included and has to be rented for an extra fee. Our location and difficult access to services such as laundry, makes it hard for us to compete with other hostels in price and we cannot offer the same price for linen as many other hostels. The price for the transfer across one of the biggest glacial rivers in Iceland, cannot be compared to a London taxi fare in any degree plus the price for this services is controlled by the bus company and not us. Normally we do not transfer passengers across the river, unless for some reason they cannot take the bus.

All this, is information that my colleague explained to you while you were here, along with printing out all the travel documents you received in email, underlining the relevant information you should have taken notice of before your arrival.

I realise that we probably have different understanding of the situation but I have to state my opinion that I believe we have fulfilled our obligation of delivering correct information prior to your arrival. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Iceland.

I would also like to use this opportunity to ask all our future visitors who might read this, to read carefully relevant information about our services and how to get here.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

It's great place to stay, and it's a beautiful experience to arrive in the the middle of the green icy nothing. Above all it is a good starting point of excursions, a simple, essential, rough, not-so-comfortable, place to sleep. But that's ok, you're not in Maldives.
We brought and cooked our food, it's cheaper and more socializing to share something to eat and drink. :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends