“Small attraction worth the quick stop”

Deildartunguhver Thermal Spring
Highlights of Iceland Small-Group Day Trip from Reykjavik by Super Jeep
US$196.00*
Lava Cave and Geothermal Adventure Tour from Reykjavik
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We found ourselves the only ones here that cold November day after deciding to stop by on our way from Hraunfossar to Snaefellsnes Peninsula.

I think we were both surprised, however, because typically when I hear "thermal spring" or "hot spring," I tend to think of an actual natural pool or resort in which folks can relax outdoors. Instead, we quickly discovered that Deildartunguhver is an impressive, natural display of harnessing the power of geothermal sources. Its heat and hot water is piped to the large, neighboring greenhouses AND two towns for energy.

The seemingly endless boiling water and steam is other-wordly, and I recommend caution from of any rogue splashes. Unlike in America, where you can count on the government fearing the stupidity of its citizens and hence erecting large barricades to protect against self-harm, only a short wooden fence separated us from the scalding steam. It also emitted sulfur odors as one woud expect, but it wasn't eye-wateringly strong (I actually like the smell as I associate it with all the enjoyable, relaxing times I've bathed in mineral hot springs).

Small parking lot that we had all to ourselves. Overall this isn't a very big attraction and it won't take very long to admire it, but I'm glad we made the stop to see what it was all about.

4  Thank aerofaze

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I'm sure this place would be interesting if it weren't the heavy rain. With the steam coming from the hot spring you can already barely see what's in front, just imagine the visibility with the heavy rain and gusts!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Very active, bubbly hot springs here - quite an impressive display of nature. Worth a stop if you are passing. Don't expect to be able to take a dip though - the water is way too hot!

1  Thank roaming_kiwi58
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I didn't expect much but was pretty impressed. These springs are super hot, violently bubbling and stink of sulfur. I thought the smell would permeate our clothes but it did not. Its crazy to think that these springs heat so many houses across the country. Be careful when taking pictures so you do not soak your camera as there is a lot of moisture in the air even when you aren't directly in a steam cloud.

2  Thank sneakyright
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Oh yes you gotta do this one. Just off the 50 and seen from some distance, this marvel of the natural environment is one you must do.

Boiling hot water which powers the local towns gushes from a number of vents. You walk into the steam and poach yourself whilst two metres to your left the weather is 5C in August.

Amazing place and yet another experience in this wonderful country. Two days later and I am still eating the tomatoes grown in greenhouses next to the spring. Very tasty. Go there.

1  Thank MStJB