“Great and quick to see, surprisingly interesting”

Deildartunguhver Thermal Spring
US$340.32*
Highlights of Iceland Small-Group Day Trip from Reykjavik by Super Jeep
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great and quick to see, surprisingly interesting”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stopped here on my way from Akureyri to Reykjavik and was glad to have made the 15 minute detour. Very interesting to see and amazing that this heats many homes around the country. I was expecting somewhere to swim, but this is definitely not a place to swim... Piping hot, bubbly water. It does smell but worth the visit, make sure you walk around and down to the bottom part... A few tourists while I was there went to their car and saw me walking down so came back.

Visited June 2014

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Worth a quick stop”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Worth a quick stop although this is no swimming pool!!! You can hard boil eggs in a snap. Note that you are not in US i.e. there is no large fence to prevent people to do stupid things. Small market at the high season where you can buy local products.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Koizumi
Iceland
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Hot Stuff”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

A must see, the awesome power of the earth. They say it is the most powerful hot spring in the world. Well produces the most hot water. Sometimes the steam hinders the visibility but still something to stop and see.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank CanViking
Colorado Springs, Colorado
164 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 241 helpful votes
“Small attraction worth the quick stop”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We found ourselves the only ones here that cold November day after deciding to stop by on our way from Hraunfossar to Snaefellsnes Peninsula.

I think we were both surprised, however, because typically when I hear "thermal spring" or "hot spring," I tend to think of an actual natural pool or resort in which folks can relax outdoors. Instead, we quickly discovered that Deildartunguhver is an impressive, natural display of harnessing the power of geothermal sources. Its heat and hot water is piped to the large, neighboring greenhouses AND two towns for energy.

The seemingly endless boiling water and steam is other-wordly, and I recommend caution from of any rogue splashes. Unlike in America, where you can count on the government fearing the stupidity of its citizens and hence erecting large barricades to protect against self-harm, only a short wooden fence separated us from the scalding steam. It also emitted sulfur odors as one woud expect, but it wasn't eye-wateringly strong (I actually like the smell as I associate it with all the enjoyable, relaxing times I've bathed in mineral hot springs).

Small parking lot that we had all to ourselves. Overall this isn't a very big attraction and it won't take very long to admire it, but I'm glad we made the stop to see what it was all about.

Visited November 2013
4 Thank aerofaze
Hong Kong, China
521 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 376 helpful votes
“The weather did this place no justice!”
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I'm sure this place would be interesting if it weren't the heavy rain. With the steam coming from the hot spring you can already barely see what's in front, just imagine the visibility with the heavy rain and gusts!

Visited September 2013