This town is widely known for being the residence of the Pope in the summertime. The town itself is small and does not have a large amount of tourist activities but it is another one of those beautiful old European towns that are worth the visit. The Hotel Castel Vecchio was also excellent and much easier to access/find than Hotel Castel Gandolfo where we had stayed the previous night. There is also adequate off street carparking available on hotel property and if you dine in their restaurant they will take your car out the back for you where it is even more secure.
The hotel itself is run by very helpful people, who speak good english also. We had a room overlooking the fabulous Lake Albana. The room had a balcony that comfortably sat the two of us. We paid 119 euros which also included a wonderful breakfast. Standard European fare - coffee (freshly made by request), fruits, bread, hard boiled eggs, cold cuts, yoghurt, juice, cereal and plentiful cakes and slices. The breakfast room is located on the top level of the hotel in a form of sun room which was lovely.
Wireless internet is not free but 4 euros gets you 5 hours.
There is an elevator up to the higher floors so anyone with disabilities should have limited issues.
We had dinner in the hotel restaurant which was one of the better meals we had on our holiday. For 25 euros each you get an aperitif, glass of prosecco, bread, water, primi, secondi and dolce and there is a great variety to choose from. The waiter was also terrific.
Overall the hotel stay was excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel, situated in the Roman Castles, near Rome, is refined Liberty–style building with two restaurants, meeting rooms, a splendid Roof Garden with outdoor swimming-pool, private car park and 50 rooms all provided with every comfort. The Historic centre of Castel Gandolfo is only 500 metres from the hotel, where on the main Piazza You can find the impressing Palazzo Pontificio, the summer residence in Italy of the Pope and a visiting place for thousands of tourists every year. The Hotel is only 30km from the ¨Leonardo da Vinci¨ Fiumicino airport and 6km from Ciampino airport of Rome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Castel Vecchio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castelvecchio Castel Gandolfo
- Castelvecchio Hotel Castel Gandolfo
- Castel Vecchio Castel Gandolfo, Italy - Rome