“If you want to have a nice trip to Milano , don't come here”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of St. John Hotel

St. John Hotel
Bucharest, Romania
“If you want to have a nice trip to Milano , don't come here”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I had a stay in this hotel with some friends for 4 nights while visiting Milan. First of all picture are picture and the reality is another thing.
I think the hotel is actually and old apartment building or something similar, only the reception looks like a hotel.
When we fist enter it was OK the first appearance, the front office clerk was nice and let us do the check-in 1 hour earlier.When i asked about the internet they told me is not free however on the internet it says that it is free, i try to talk with the front office manger a rude person, to be honest not the right person for the job, anyway the internet is NOT FREE, i payed for 2 days 3 euro but is works very very bad, remember dial-up connection :), better don't use it.
Me and my friends requested in advance for 3 double rooms (kind size bed for 3 couples) and we received 1 double room and 3 twin rooms( rooms with 2 beds), in 2 rooms the windows couldn't be close properly and at night you can here the wind blowing like hell, i can add that in one night it rain and it was awful, they say international TV channels i was only CNN the rest are Italian, only a few products in the minibar i think never used they look old.
Very important to mentioned the is no AC in the room, is a lie what they say in the description, the have a thermostat in the room, when we ask to do something because in the room was a little bit could they sad that in Milan the hit will start in November,when the municipality will start the hitting.
One good think i can say about the room , in every morning someone came and change the towels is need and make the bad.
The breakfast was nice but you never had all the products at the same time, they bring a few of each on a plate , and is not changed at time, for example if you want cheese with ham , you find only cheese and if you want ham you find only cheese , they change them rarely probably you the guest not to eat to much.
In my sincere appreciation this is a 2 star hotel with a 2 star staff and 1 star Front Office Manger.
20 min form the city center with subway, 1.5 euro for one trip.don;t find many this in the area of the hotel.
Good luck,

Room Tip: You can hear all night the train or subway , was something that goes buy and I we had rooms on the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mihai R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2013

A hotel located 20 minutes from the centre of Milan, a perfect place to see what people in Milan get up to. The subway station is a four minute walk ( I recommend getting off at Sesto Marelli) from the hotel, a day ticket is 4.5 Euros. The most notable features of the hotel seem to be the groovy carpet and their incredible collection of mirrors. The room was small, but clean, with a tv (16 Italian, 1 English and 1 Russian channels). No wifi, but there is free wifi in Milan centre so it is not a real problem. My only issue was that the bathroom was not terribly clean. The breakfast was pretty standard, but you may want to approach the staff for a cappuccino if they have not offered it to you upon arrival. There are a couple of interesting restaurants between the metro station and the hotel, like the Chinese- Italian restaurants which are always full of people and serve tasty and cheap pizzas, pastas, and Chinese food. While the hotel is of equal distance from the metro station Sesto Rondo, I would not opt for that station, especially at night. As a rule of thumb, I would recommend walking around on the "other side of the highway bridge" only for adventurous spirits, since the neighbourhood features a number of establishments specialised on massage, and a couple of rough bars. Also, they lock the fates at night, but just ring the bells and they let you in without any fuss. All in all, it is a good option if you are travelling on a budget.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank K F
Braunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Upon reaching the hotel at 11am, we were made to feel very unwelcome by (Basil - Nicknamed by us) as he was rude, unwelcoming and told us to sit down out the way as we were not allowed in the room until 12 noon!!!
He did not offer us a drink or even tell us where we could go to get a drink whilst we waited for an hour. When we finaly got given our room, it was so small you would not keep your hampster in it!!!! - We changed rooms which was not a great improvement but slightly bigger - however, changing rooms was not a problem!
The room was very basic with no tea/coffee facilities, shower door hanging off, very noisy road at all times of the day and night and no adequate bath linen or mat which left the floor very wet and slippery.
There was never a member of staff around to ask for tea/coffee after breakfast which was also very basic!!!

The Hotel was not situated in a good location for travel to the City and was in a dodgy area of Milan which I can only par with the Bronx in New York!!! - BEWARE!!!

I only felt safe as I was traveling with a companion who has previously had Kick Boxing Lessons by the current World Champion!

Expensive prices for wine in the wine bars - i.e - we had 3 glasses of House White each and it cost us 60Euros!!!

All in all, Milan was a very nice City but the Hotel and Day Staff were poor and unfriendly, but, the night staff were amazing, helpful and were open to suggestions to improve the hotel and travellers experience! - Needs a lot of TLC as does Basil on Reception!!!

Room Tip: No pool, no facilities, no help,
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bev S
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2013

well what can I say, a cool reception, it costs you nothing to be polite and to give a welcome, we did not get this, however the night staff were very good, could not do enough for you 10 out of 10 for effort, really worked with what they had. A sense of humour is what is needed here, and they really delivered. You will be glad to know that I have made some improvements, firstly I have advised that they have a suggestion box I did have to make a prototype myself, and supply the sweets on the desk myself, but this morning it was on the desk, which just goes to show that the little things can make a real difference. The night staff were a delight, really made you feel welcome, the day staff made you think what have I done. however if you kill them with kindness you can get a smile even from the day staff. If you ask you will receive, overall a good bunch. A little too far out from the centre, but the train is easy. The first room we had was basic and should have been a single, but it was no problem to get a slightly better room, clean ,functional, no frills,no tea or coffee in the room, which is a basic thing. The prices are OK, overall, not too bad, if you are prepared for budget travel. I enjoyed the stay, but not what you expect. breakfast ok. nice aprons. the showers were hot, but linen not so good. You get what you pay for, overall was OK. Night staff were really focussed on service and made it worth it. cheap and somewhat cheerfull, Make the best of it, chin up.

Room Tip: If you want a quick, no frills get away it delivers
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 March 2013

20 minutes from downtown Milan and about 30 minutes by subway from the expo center; and not a good location to visit Milan and not at a nice niighborhood. Subway runs from 6am till midnight and you can buy a 3 day ticket for about 5euros - can use on trams and buses Rooms are poor, and breakfast was bad. WiFi do not work! Definitely, not a 4 star hotel!!!

I liked San Michele, a restaurant, 5 minute walk away in via Monfalcone - great seafood platters, meat platters, and pizzas. Siu's bar in Lima (on the red metro line) is also good. If you buy a drink you can eat for free, the buffet there is amazing! Lima is good for shopping too, not as expensive as central Milan. Duomo Piazza, on the red line too, is highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Allan P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate valentines day, thinking it would be good from it's 4 star rating and reviews but it was far from what we expected.

Location:
It took us about 30 minutes by tube from Cadorna (Central Milan) to reach the nearest tube station (Sesto Rondo.) It was then a 10 minute walk to the hotel which is located in a very rough area full of graffiti, I felt extremely scared and intimidated every time I had to walk through this area and made sure to grip my bag tightly. It is NOT a good area for tourists and too far out from the City.

Hotel:
Upon arrival at the hotel, it had a rather dull, drab, dated and unclean presence about it. When we entered are room, it had not yet been cleaned, the bed was unmade, towels were on the floor, the toilet was dirty and it was very dusty. We complained and it turned out the chambermaid had not yet reached are room. The manager did not offer to move us, he told us there were no more rooms available and that we would have to wait 10 minutes for the room to be cleaned. We complained for a second time and were finally moved to a different room (even though there were supposedly none available.)

The room was ok, but very basic with old furniture and a stained unclean bed throw. We were located high up on the 6th floor above a busy main road, which was noisy at times, I think the windows must of been single glazed. A few good points were that our room got cleaned daily and we were given fresh towels. There was also lots of storage, a spacious bathroom and mini-bar.

Breakfast:
A basic self service continental, but below average quality. They had a selection of bread rolls, ham, cheese, salami, yoghurts, cereal, fruit, tea and coffee. I was surprised they had no croissants available and we had to ask for the bread to be topped up as it was empty.

Verdict:
Overall I would definitely not class this hotel as a 4 star, more of a lower 3. The quality is poor, the service is not great, the area is rough and it is inconveniently located far from the City. There is no quality, convenience or luxury about this place, definitely not ideal for a romantic getaway.

If you are a tourist wanting to explore Milan with your partner or children then I would definitely NOT recommend staying at this hotel. It is more suited for a quick business trip or people visiting locally that don't mind a basic hotel for the night.

I don't usually write reviews, but I wanted to let others know about my experience so they don't make the same mistake.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The-travelnator

Travellers are raving about these Sesto San Giovanni hotels

Baden-Baden
Reviewed 8 January 2013

The Hotel is clean, the rooms are nice and the breakfast is good - I cannot share the opinion of a previous poster that the breakfast was of poor quality. This hotel may be more like a 3* Hotel but these days its all about reviews anyway. Subway access is very easy and cheap to: For 1,50 Euros you can travel from Sesto Marelli Station right into Downtown without any changes. The hotel should tell people to use this stop since the one to the North is twice as expensive. If you are a business traveler do not stay at this hotel if you need Internet - it didn't work and we had to get a refund of our voucher. The staff didn't seem to address this problem and there is no WiFi in the rooms anyway.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank manuelrauch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sesto San Giovanni
B&B Hotel Milano Sesto San Giovanni
B&B Hotel Milano Sesto San Giova...
#5 of 15 in Sesto San Giovanni
#7 of 15 in Sesto San Giovanni
Hotel degli Arcimboldi
Hotel degli Arcimboldi
#122 of 431 in Milan

Been to St. John Hotel? Share your experiences!