“Mystified by the good reviews”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cambridge
Prospect Place Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 20 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Mystified by the good reviews”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I had booked a room with a private bath. When I arrived, I was shown to a dingy room at the top of the house, with no bath. When I said that I had booked one with a private bath, the owner said he knew that, but someone had checked in who had booked more nights than I had, so he gave them the room I had booked. Then he charged me the same rate as the room with the private bath! Also no apology! So, the bait and switch, and terrible manner, is my major complaint.

Other "features":
- No lock on your room door, so you can't lock it on leaving, or lock it when you go to bed! The guy who let me in said he felt really comfortable in the house with no locks, which I guess he thought was a reassuring comfort for his guests...
- no offer to help carry bags up the stairs
- room was quite dirty. In looking for an outlet to plug in my laptop, I moved the bed a bit away from the wall. Horrific mess of cobwebs and dead beetles between the wall and the bed. Super gross. Picture attached to this review.
- Bathroom down the hall seemed to be the family bathroom, and not one reserved for guests. Was full of half-used toiletries.
- Bathroom also had a gaping dusty hole in ceiling with an exposed light fixture.
- Single pane glass on the window, and building is located on a busy street so very noisy from traffic.
- Window had only a thin paper blind, plus there were skylights with no blinds on them, so this is a really bad room if you need a darkened room for sleeping and don't want to wake up with the dawn.
- My room was dark, very poor lighting, so not great if you want to read at night, or need to work in the room.
- Fitted sheet was dingy and didn't fit the bed properly, so kept coming off the mattress. Not a mattress you wanted to be sleeping on directly...
- Guy who let me in was not at all friendly or welcoming.

All in all, am fascinated by the reviews as I had booked this place based on the trip advisor reviews. Am figuring these have to be done by the owners themselves, or their friends and family trying to boost the reputation of the hotel. Either that, or there are two Prospect Place Inns ("inn" would be a loose term for the place I stayed) in Cambridge.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank kljwinnipeg
prospectpl, Owner at Prospect Place Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
We are truly sorry that this guest was so unhappy with the room they stayed in and certainly for anything that was less than clean. For the record, all of our windows are double-paned and, while the bathroom they had was not attached to the room, it was clean and definitely dedicated to their use only for the night they stayed with us. We’re having a difficult time finding a replacement cover for the bathroom ceiling fan and any extra toiletries were not on the nice countertop area. There were no other guests or owners sleeping in the rooms on that floor. In a rare case like this, we would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss the issues; we would have done everything possible to remedy the situation or refunded the room fee at that time. Therefore, we have issued a complete refund.

Please note: Due to our high occupancy and small number of rooms, we have now decided that we must take one night reservations only on a short notice, space-availability basis.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

1) Location. 40 min to Logan Airport, 10 min to Harvard Campus, and 1 min to Whole Foods.
2) People. Eric is so nice and great!!!!
3) Cleanness. Very very clean.
4) Breakfast. Tasty food with classic music.

Room Tip: Please always choose Charles Suite
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I Stayed there while visiting my daughter for a few days. A very pleasant place to stay, great breakfasts, extremely clean, convenient location, easy access in and out of the property, and just a great place to stay. Eric and his wife could not have been nicer! My family and I will certainly stay at this bed & Breakfast again with no hesitation. I am a big guy but the room was large and comfortable and had an adjacent bathroom. Could not have been better for my visit. Would easily recommend to all my friends.

Room Tip: My room was on the third floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Prospect Place. Eric was an excellent host and very accommodating. The room was good. Our room had a double bed and we are used to a queen. Honestly a queen wouldn't fit in there. Our room didn't have a TV so if you have to have TV, you are out of luck. It didn't bother us. The breakfast was great. Eric picked up good pastries and bread at local bakeries and prepared eggs, omelets, or french toast. He was also very social and didn't mind conversing with us and the other guests as we ate our breakfast. The location is good. It's a short walk to the subway, restaurants, and bars. We spent most of our time in and around Boston so being close to the subway was a big plus. Parking is the only pain about staying there. You will have to park on the street around the block. Eric gave us a free parking pass to use and honestly that's the best solution to parking so I really have no complaints. Just be prepared for not being able to park right at the house.

Room Tip: The Madeline room has it's own bathroom and it's at the back of the house. We didn't he...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael D
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Eric and Judy were wonderful hosts during my week in Cambridge on a business trip. They accommodated my varying start times each morning with a wonderful breakfast to start my day! My room was perfect and Eric was always offering assistance! They are at the acceptable government rates for business travelers so Prospect Place is a great alternative to the big hotels!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

On a recent holiday to Boston we stayed with Eric and his wife and were very impressed with this tasteful elegant B&B in Cambridge. Would thoroughly recommend this haven in a busy city. Very convenient for all Boston attractions and the breakfasts are delicious and plentiful.

Eric is a charming host and makes your stay feel like a home from home!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Geraldine L
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Instead of staying at a Harvard Conference Hotel, my partner and I chose to stay at this charming "Prospect Place" for 4 nights: 2 in the Florence Room and 2 in the Charles Suite. The second-floor Florence Room was elegantly, large, and smart, and the nice, large bathroom, to be shared with guest(s) from the Emma Room, is down the hallway. The lower-level Charles Suite has its own sitting room (TV, couches, chairs, and a small reading library) and bathroom and a large, comfy King-size bed. The dual shower heads were brilliant! Prospect is a unique and lovely place with great interiors, reminding us very much of the feel and look of proper B & B in the UK. Our hosts Eric and Judy were hospitable and thoughtful. Breakfast was filled with great coffee and home-baked pastries, scrambled eggs, and french toast is offered on certain days. Prospect is a leisure 5-minute walk north of the Central Square T Stop on the Red Line, which you can take to South Station to get on the Silver Line Bus for Logan (BOS) Airport. For convenience and saving money and time, do get a 7-day Pass of unlimited rides (and to/from BOS) if you plan to be out and about for 4 days of sightseeing and commuting. Central Square has various restaurants, cafes, and bars and a CVS and Walgreens. Central Square T is one stop from Harvard Square T, and the best exit is Church Street. From Prospect Place B & B, you can connect easily to other parts of Cambridge and Boston. We hope to return one day to try out the Madeline Room. Thanks again, Eric and Judy, for your hospitality!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business