I had booked a room with a private bath. When I arrived, I was shown to a dingy room at the top of the house, with no bath. When I said that I had booked one with a private bath, the owner said he knew that, but someone had checked in who had booked more nights than I had, so he gave them the room I had booked. Then he charged me the same rate as the room with the private bath! Also no apology! So, the bait and switch, and terrible manner, is my major complaint.
- No lock on your room door, so you can't lock it on leaving, or lock it when you go to bed! The guy who let me in said he felt really comfortable in the house with no locks, which I guess he thought was a reassuring comfort for his guests...
- no offer to help carry bags up the stairs
- room was quite dirty. In looking for an outlet to plug in my laptop, I moved the bed a bit away from the wall. Horrific mess of cobwebs and dead beetles between the wall and the bed. Super gross. Picture attached to this review.
- Bathroom down the hall seemed to be the family bathroom, and not one reserved for guests. Was full of half-used toiletries.
- Bathroom also had a gaping dusty hole in ceiling with an exposed light fixture.
- Single pane glass on the window, and building is located on a busy street so very noisy from traffic.
- Window had only a thin paper blind, plus there were skylights with no blinds on them, so this is a really bad room if you need a darkened room for sleeping and don't want to wake up with the dawn.
- My room was dark, very poor lighting, so not great if you want to read at night, or need to work in the room.
- Fitted sheet was dingy and didn't fit the bed properly, so kept coming off the mattress. Not a mattress you wanted to be sleeping on directly...
- Guy who let me in was not at all friendly or welcoming.
All in all, am fascinated by the reviews as I had booked this place based on the trip advisor reviews. Am figuring these have to be done by the owners themselves, or their friends and family trying to boost the reputation of the hotel. Either that, or there are two Prospect Place Inns ("inn" would be a loose term for the place I stayed) in Cambridge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An Elegant Victorian Bed & Breakfast in the heart of Cambridge. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Prospect Place Hotel Cambridge
- Prospect Place b&b