“Cozy place, friendly staff!”

Irving House at Harvard
Ranked #4 of 21 Cambridge B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed just one night there and I LOVE IT!
Very friendly and helpful staff, very nice breakfast with variety choices of food.
I love their interior setting, so English and cozy. I feel relax after a whole day tour in Harvard.

• Stayed: December 2012
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! We are very pleased you enjoyed our hospitality. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Cambridge!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My daughter and I stayed there this weekend while in town to visit colleges. We had nothing but positive things to say about this B&B.

Room was very cute, full and twin sized beds. Bathroom was right down the hall, and very clean. The whole place was clean and well maintained. Reception was awesome. The young lady was personable and very helpful. Parking is very close, I mean VERY close, but hey, it's off the street, and free. I thought the rate was fair, especially considering other places to stay in the area. Irving House is easy to get to, and convenient to pretty much everything. I'm sure we'll be back, but definitely when the weather is warmer :)

Room Tip: Choose a room with private bathroom if that's a concern
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lyons54
RSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you found Cambridge (Our Fair City!) to be worth visiting again.
Yes, parking is tight, but if everyone is co-operative, it works.

Thank you for taking the time to review--every little bit helps!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Charming rooms, squeaky-clean bathrooms, delicious (and plentiful) food, access to tea and (good) coffee, and right in the heart of perfect Cambridge! There's nothing lacking here--except an elevator (if you're lugging heavy suitcases ask to stay on lower floors, I guess), and the wiring is probably a bit funky (power blew out), but this place is an adorable delight. And Green, too!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SubjectTravel
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! We are so pleased you appreciate what we are doing here. I completely agree that the house would be much improved for guest (and our staff!) if we had an elevator. Alas, space and the laws do not find a good confluence here. In several go rounds of inquiry, I have come to the conclusion that it is just not possible.
We hope to see you again on a return visit to Our Fair City!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Pluses:
Good breakfast
Good location (near Harvard)
Nice common area with books and mags to read
Charming exterior to building
Quiet at night
Plenty of towels & hot water in shared shower room
They booked a taxi for me to the airport ($44 from B&B to Logan)

Minuses:
Expensive for small room with shared bathroom
Bedroom was cold-ish and not enough blankets
Checkout at 11am not 12pm, as is normal
Snippy receptionist

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ladybird43
RSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. And thank you for phrasing your headline that way. During October, our peak month, the rates are indeed high, as they are all over Harvard Square. Our rates vary with demand, as is the industry standard, but we set them to be a good value overall within the Harvard Square market.

The heating can be a little slow to get to some rooms, but we do have supplemental heaters for particularly cold nights/cold rooms, for future reference.

However, the lack of blankets and the snippy service at the desk are NOT our way, and I have showed this to my staff to ensure we make further improvements in those areas.

We are pleased that you did, in some ways, enjoy your stay with us. We hope to see you again some time.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Rustic charm and great location made the Irving House a great place for us to stay while getting our daughter situated for a Harvard fellowship. It's expensive but we had a wonderful experience and parking is free.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Noel H
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We decided to stay here after reading some of the older positive reviews. I'm not sure what room those people had or what they ate for breakfast but our experience was not positive. The rooms are WAY OVERPRICED! I consider myself a world traveler - having been to more than 50 countries and away for more than 125 days each year. I've become a good judge of hotels, B&Bs, hostels, guest houses, and apartments on airbnb. I've stayed in more than a dozen different places in Cambridge and Boston. This was one of the most expensive and by far the most disappointing. The towels were rough and thin. Housekeeping did not remove dirty dishes. The breakfast was continental only. There were few hot options and certainly no service. You had to clear your own dishes. The compost and dirty dish trays were in the same room as the food. The pillows were lumpy. The shampoo (in a large dispenser) did not foam and left my hair feeling dry and dirty. There was dust on the floor. Without going on and on, I hope you get the message. Stay elsewhere, even if it means a T ride or a longer walk to the campus and area.

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Maple1981
RSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

i am so sorry that your stay with us was not to your liking in so many ways! I have shown it to my staff to begin to address the concerns you raised. Your stay did come during our most busy season, and so the rates are higher now than they are during other times of the year.
The shampoo does not have the chemicals that cause lathering, but it is still effective in washing, and rinsing out. Most of our guests are appreciative of both the simple, natural ingredients and the dispenser provision, which replaces small disposable containers. This is in keeping with our environmentally friendly operations, and is becoming standard throughout many hotels.
We are phasing out the thinner towels, and have been providing thicker towels, so I am looking at how and why your room got the older towels.
Our breakfast staff does bus tables when they can, and we will review staffing to be sure they can do it more often, so that guests do not need to clear others' tables, or wait for an empty table. The menu does change very little, though the baked goods do change daily and more with the season.
Most guests also appreciate that they can compost and recycle as they do at home. We have not ever heard a complaint about the presence in the dining area of facilities to do so, but we will look at that now too, though space is limited there.
We take this review very seriously and will look at ways to address the matters you note. We hope your visit to Cambridge was otherwise a pleasure.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Is not easy to find a good and cheap place to sleep in Cambridge ..but Irving House is overpriced. The location is great, in a quite area not on the main street. Rooms are nice and clean but very small. Breakfast place is horrible and food is poor.
Staff is OK.
Irving is the only hotel I know so far in Cambridge, its not bad but im not sure I would choose it agian.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pilot_DK
RSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. As an experienced traveler, you are likely aware of the variability of hotel rates, which fluctuate with demand. While we do keep our rates competitive with the Harvard Square area, that still puts our rates higher than other areas of Cambridge and Boston and much higher than many areas of the US and other countries.

We aim to provide an excellent value to our guests. We hope that in your travels as you compare rates and offerings, you find we have succeeded.