“Very small room; quiet; good night's sleep”

Irving House at Harvard
Ranked #4 of 21 Cambridge B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We ended up at Irving House because we're exploring various places trying to find a regular stopping place now that we have family in the area. It's the third or fourth place we've tried, and we'll probably keep looking. It was quiet and the breakfast was ok, though nothing special. The room was extremely small. This was reasonable value though again, nothing that really stands out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CGUrbanaIllinois
RSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. As you are an experienced traveler, I appreciate your comments. Please know that we have rooms of various sizes, so the option for a larger room is there.
We hope you find the right place for your return visits to Cambridge. There are plenty of options right in our neighborhood!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I found Irving House a nice place to stay. It was easy to get to, a quick walk to Harvard Square, comfortable and friendly. Breakfast was okay. Parking is included but is very tight. I think this was a great value as compared to area hotels.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so if you have a lot of bags or can't do stairs you should request a low...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
RSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! The lack of an elevator is a situation that affects us all. We wish we could change it, but so far the law and our physical structure do not find common ground. When possible, we do have staff to carry luggage, and we do honor requests for lower floor (first (ground) or second floor rooms.

We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Cambridge, MA~

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I had to stay in town to sell at a bazaar and wanted to avoid driving home in the Boston suburbs in a snow storm so I booked at Irving House a couple of blocks from the bazaar venue. The room on the top (4th) floor was very comfortable, and I got the sleep I needed to be alert at the bazaar for the second day. When I went down for breakfast the next morning I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of options for assembling a good and nutritious breakfast. I had previously only been accustomed to the much simpler offerings in hostals in Latin America when I travel down there, but at Irving House I could customize my breakfast as I might do at home. There was even a jar of ajvar (a red pepper condiment) to have with my hard boiled egg and a delicious whole grain bread to make my toast. I left the breakfast room as content as anyone could be and well-fortified for my day of selling at the bazaar. I would enthusiastically recommend Irving House for the breakfast alone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We love to hear where we are doing well in serving our guests. I will share this with my staff, especially the breakfast crew---

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed here alone for one night and it was very cozy, quiet, and clean. I'm a young female so it was important that I stayed somewhere safe, and this inn is very safe and in a great location. I also enjoyed the morning breakfast. But be aware that it is about a 10 minute walk to the Harvard mbta station.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Alicia G

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate hearing where we are doing well. I will share this with my staff, especially the breakfast crew. I hope your sales went well at the fair!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our stay was over a single night, and we needed a comfortable place that was close to family living in the area - this was perfect. Friendly, clean, and conveniently located, we really enjoyed our stay.

There is off-street parking; if you have a wide vehicle, it's going to be a bit tense, but they do a great job of making sure as many people have room to park as possible - a bonus in this neighborhood where permits are required on the streets. We left our car there and just walked to the Porter Square area, which I think most people would find to be a bit of a hike but it felt good to not need a bus or taxi.

We stayed in a self-contained unit on the fourth floor. Other rooms had shared bathrooms and what we saw seemed really clean and accessible. While one must take the stairs up to other floors, we really liked the added quiet and didn't mind the steps at all; our host at check-in actually offered to place us on a lower floor but we said we were fine where we were - she was very kind and I appreciated the offer, though! Because the Inn is off of the main road, the noise level was SO much better than other nearby places we've stayed at that were directly on Cambridge Street.

Our room was fine for our needs - small but there was a desk and a very interesting plush chair to sit in (style-wise!) and the sink/toilet were in a separate compartment than the shower. Everything worked fine - internet signal (free) was strong and fast. (If needed, there is a common computer on the first floor in the sitting room.) I thought the bed was too hard for my own comfort, the only thing I didn't really find great about the accommodations.

The breakfast was really nice - quiche and other items, good coffee, etc. - all in all, we'd definitely stay there again, and appreciated the very friendly staff, excellent location, and well-tended property.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GahuGrrl
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you took the time to comment on it so specifically! It is hard to accommodate all preferences for mattresses. I am sorry that you found the bed too hard.

We are pleased that in every other way you seem to have enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed just one night there and I LOVE IT!
Very friendly and helpful staff, very nice breakfast with variety choices of food.
I love their interior setting, so English and cozy. I feel relax after a whole day tour in Harvard.

• Stayed: December 2012
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! We are very pleased you enjoyed our hospitality. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Cambridge!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My daughter and I stayed there this weekend while in town to visit colleges. We had nothing but positive things to say about this B&B.

Room was very cute, full and twin sized beds. Bathroom was right down the hall, and very clean. The whole place was clean and well maintained. Reception was awesome. The young lady was personable and very helpful. Parking is very close, I mean VERY close, but hey, it's off the street, and free. I thought the rate was fair, especially considering other places to stay in the area. Irving House is easy to get to, and convenient to pretty much everything. I'm sure we'll be back, but definitely when the weather is warmer :)

Room Tip: Choose a room with private bathroom if that's a concern
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lyons54
RSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you found Cambridge (Our Fair City!) to be worth visiting again.
Yes, parking is tight, but if everyone is co-operative, it works.

Thank you for taking the time to review--every little bit helps!