“Fantastic place”
Review of Whitman House

Whitman House
Ranked #6 of 20 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 January 2012

One of the statements in the guestbook hits really close to the mark. "Whitman House is not like staying with friends, it IS staying with friends!"

Whitman House was recommended to us by a friend in the area. The house interior is very neat and tidy, and the rooms are spotless. The main lounge area is spacious yet cozy, and the host David is very friendly and a great person to chat with. I also noticed some nice washing machines and dryers, although we did not use them. Sadly during our visit we weren't able to hang out and chat more. Also, for a location so close to the heart of Cambridge and MIT, it is very easy on the wallet. If that wasn't already enough reason, Whitman House is run as a non-profit for Search For A Cure (HIV/AIDS research).

The only thing a little bit lacking was the continental breakfast, which was a little bit on the light side (they do provide gluten-free and other allergen-free fare though it seems). However, with the variety available around Cambridge, it is not a very large problem.

Overall, I would rate Whitman House 9/10, so I'm rounding up. It is a fantastic little bed and breakfast with great company and facilities.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dan Y
There are newer reviews for Whitman House

Reviewed 17 October 2011

We just stayed two nights after arriving from the UK. Our host David met us on arrival at Whitman house. What an interesting character who has a lot to say about everything. The best advice he gave us was see everything here that you can't see anywhere else. The room was very high quality but our bathroom was not en suite. That said although on the ground floor we never saw anyone else when using the bathroom. It too was of a very high standard. The water pressure could have been better but it was adequate and Robert and David both said it would be attended to. Breakfast, films an excellent free wifi were all available.
Would we stay again .... Without hesitation!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Pimdesign
Reviewed 7 October 2011

The 4 of us stayed there in sept 2011 for 3 days. We were on our way to wolfeboro NH for our friends wedding. The place was very close to the train station and to Harvard university. The rooms were clean and food was ok. David was a good host he told us where to go to see the places of interest and where to eat. It's in a quiet street had car parking spaces and felt safe at night. I would recommend it to everyone. We never got a chance to watch tv or his DVDs as too busy checking out Boston and the sights. We had lovely weather and a great time in the states. Thanks David from the londoner's.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Maldivesdiver68
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We are a couple who met in Boston several years ago, and ended up getting married. For our honeymoon, we wanted to revisit Boston and see all the nice places we used to frequent. We found Whitman House online, and really liked both the description and the fact that they were affiliated with a non-profit organization 'Search for a Cure'. We stayed for a total on 9 nights. Originally, we were planning on staying 7 nights, but as everything in New York was completely full, we had to spend two extra days. David and Robert, the hosts, immediately arranged for us to stay in the extra room they had 'just in case'.
The hosts make you feel very much at home, engaging in conversations, helping you find your way around and eager to discuss their future plans for the B & B. All rooms have a flat screen TV, and they have an ample (>400) DVD collection for you to choose from. The rooms and the house in general is beautiful and everything is spotless. The attention to detail, such as having (charged) metrotickets waiting for us was wonderful, as was the extensive breakfast in the morning. The location is very central, walking distance to the Central Square T stop, a Whole Foods supermarket and various nice coffee places. Overall, we felt like we were visiting friends more than staying at a hotel/B&B, which is exactly what we were hoping for. If you prefer cosiness, a relaxed atmosphere and fascinating conversations over the sometimes sterile hotel rooms, this is the place for you!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rogier K
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Nice location, no noise, clean, nice bathrooms, excellent hosts.

The green room was near perfect, except that there is NO DESK in the room, although there is adequate space in the rest of the apartment. But if you like to work in your own room on a desk, do not take the green room.

I think it is a good deal at the price. One big concern was the breakfast. Because the hosts are so friendly, I did not feel like having to make them breakfast for me. Of the 4 nights I stayed there, breakfast was not laid out on two mornings, although I am 100% sure that it would be if I made the request. (this was during the breakfast timings). Oh, and yes, please look carefully at the bread before eating it. In my case, it had fungus on it, glad I spotted it. But this can happen anywhere I guess

My only problem was .. that the hosts are very friendly, it almost made me feel that I should not bother them for little things.

If you want to have nice conversations etc.., this might be the place for you. If you are looking for a no-frills stay, I would go for a hotel instead.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank khandelia
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Whitman for seven nights, this past week. We stayed the first three nights in the green room up stairs. Then the last four nights in the gold or yellow room upstairs. David, our host / inn keeper, explained that he had a memory foam on the bed in the green room. We were in the area on vacation and the memory foam felt good. The green room shares a bath with the red room. The gold room has a bath in the room.

Being that we have just done some house renovations we took notice of the modernized details around the house. Robert told us a little about renovation of the house. There were so many nice stylish modern touches: granite countertops, tile and hard wood floors. skylight in the bathroom, new windows, plenty of storage space (cabinets, shelves and closet hanger rods).

We liked the great use of space in the rooms. The TV set in each room was situated at the window. The TV and internet worked great. There is no telephone in the room. We had a cell phone, so this was not a problem.

We also made use of the clothes washer, dryer, iron and ironing board while we were there. We were delighted.

David was in the great room (living room kitchen combo room) each morning to greet us. Most mornings he had a variety of breads, pastries, cereals, orange juice, milk and yogurt aranged on the countertop. We were encouraged to use his fancy coffee/tea maker. We had capucino.

We took a few of our breakfasts at the Luna Cafe with vouchers from the Whitman. This worked out fine. We even had a ham, egg and cheese bagel and orange juice to go one day. We were so pleased with the Luna Cafe that we ate supper there one night and at 8 pm a four peice jazz band entertained. We ate salads (one with lobster and the other with chicken) and had gelato for dessert. Delicious. Luna was on the way to the Central Subway station. Also my husband was impresed with the wine selections.

There were two Charlie cards for our use but we instead purchased the 7 day pass for $15. Some one along Mass. Ave. told us to buy them at Western Union, but we found out later after we bought them at Western Union, we could have gotten them with a credit or debit card at the machines at most any subway "T" station/stop.

Just for my future information, I found it easy to get to and from the Boston Logan International Airport to the Subway system. There are free bus shuttles from all terminals to the Blue "T" line.
So for the price of a subway pass you can get to the Whitman from the airport.

We used the Go Boston card to help us in our sight seeing. We drove our car to the area and parked it in the parking area at the end of the Whitman driveway (by the garage in the back yard). We felt like our car was safe.

We felt safe in the neighborhood and traveling on the subway system. The Whitman is practically between Harvard and MIT. We enjoyed what we could see walking in the areas surrounding the Whitman, too.

Lastly, and most importantly, we felt like we were in a home decorated similar to our own. Good quality materials, simple modern design and pratical use of space. There were not so many things that could be knocked over or so many antiques that you tiptoe around hoping nothing breaks.

We found David and Robert very helpful hosts, We would love to stay at the Whitman again.

1  Thank BthereandCit
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Occasionally on my travels I say at an inn where the innkeeper is as much a part of the experience as the accomodations. This was true of my stay at the Whitman House. The inn is owned by David and Robert.

During my stay, I found that the purpose of the inn is to fund their non-profit Search For A Cure (www.sfac.org). If you stay there, ask them about it.

The inn is located in central Cambridge and was restored with direction by Robert (architect) into a modern and sleek environment.

As they have only been open nine months, they are still a young establishment and have some kinks to work out. Nothing major, but you may find yourself reminding them of some standard procedures at other inns.

I was there on business and did not get to interact much with the owners or other lodgers. However, I was informed that the common guest at the inn is visiting either Harvard or MIT and that the dinner conversation is quite lively and informed.

This is an inn in which you will most likely have the option to share dinner and the evening movie shown on their large screen.

All in all, I would say that this inn is relationship rather than transaction based. And I rather liked it that way.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business