“Home of Poet and President”

Longfellow House Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site
Ranked #11 of 80 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Longfellow House - Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site preserves the home of Henry W. Longfellow, one of the world's foremost 19th century poets. The house also served as headquarters for General George Washington during the Siege of Boston, July 1775 - April 1776. In addition to its rich history, the site offers unique opportunities to explore 19th century literature and arts. Site is now closed for the season. The 2017 season will run from May 24-October 29.
Newton, MA
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 212 helpful votes
“Home of Poet and President”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This house was both the headquarters of George Washington and of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Take advantage of your tax dollars at work and visit this interesting and beautiful home, part of the National Park Service.

We went on a Sunday when parking would be less of a challenge. It's an easy walk from Harvard Square T and buses, but parking is tough.

The small garden is nice to walk through. Our ranger/guide was very knowledgeable and interesting. I would not recommend the house for small children.

Please check hours as the house is open only seasonally. It is by guided tour only (free).

1 Thank Annabella G

Cambridge, MA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Longfellow House”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Worth a visit if you have an interest in older homes or in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.) Beautifully restored with many original items.

Visited November 2013
Cambridge, MA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“National Park Service Longfellow/George Washington Historic House”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

A few blocks from Harvard Sq. Beautifully kept house and furnishings with much history as the home of Longfellow and Residence of George Washington. Free ranger led tours.

Dublin, Ireland
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“He might have been an awful poet”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Park Ranger tour really made this visit with an interactive visit.I always felt that had Longfellow lived 50 years later his poetry would have been trashed.The house has a number of interesting interconnections between great American writers and George Washington.THe house was a trip to the past and was the last of a long line of attractions we visited in Boston

2 Thank T0ny1952
Syracuse, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best museum tours I've been on!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I love museums, so when I was going to visit a friend in Cambridge I did a search for historic house museums and came across the Longfellow House. She said she'd been to the grounds, but never one a tour, so we decided to go. Tours are free and offered every hour, so we caught the noon tour on a Saturday. I had no idea what to expect when our tour guide came out to greet us. Well, let me tell you, it was GREAT! Completely worth an hour of my time. Our guide was knowledgeable, friendly, and wonderful. The house is full of fascinating stories and history. The tour wasn't just about the objects, it really told a story. I loved it and would go again the next time I was in Cambridge. And I want to be best friends with our guide. She was the best.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Natalie S

Travellers who viewed Longfellow House Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site also viewed

Been to Longfellow House Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site? Share your experiences!