“Cute New Hotel Next to Harvard”
Review of Hotel Veritas

Hotel Veritas
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This is a good hotel for non uptight people...for those who are fussy there are 2 -3 low points

High Points:

1- It is a Conde Nast Johansens recommended hotel ( nice surprise).
2- The hotel is new and fresh.
3-The room is well designed for small space. Queen room is suitable only for one person.
4-This hotel is in a great location and it is very cute.
5-The interior design is rich & luxurious yet modern and pleasant.
6-The Concierge ( esp. 2 of them - one is Laurie) were outstanding, competent, friendly, always smiling and very helpful in solving all the problems.
7-Everything works out very well including business center for such a tiny hotel.
It feels like a tiny British boutique hotel with warm family like service. One staff does all.
8-Free Local calls
9-Free Internet
10-Partnership with local Gym across the street (free)
11-Free juices, coffee, water all day

Low Points: ( sorry to have to mention this)

1- I do expect a little more from a hotel that costs US$340 per night without breakfast .
The hotel does not offer even paid breakfast which can be bad for most people who like to have even simple Continental Breakfast in the morning though one can find places near by like Au bon pain standard around for fresh fruits but going out into the cold or rain is not fun.
The choice is going out or being hungry.

The hotel does not offer meals ( lunch or dinner) so you will have to go out for dinner.
Though again, there are good options at Harvard Sq, fun places, award winning chefs around. But if you are a very tired business man who wish to have dinner watching CNN, tough luck...no 'frigo' bar in the room either.

To compensate:

They do offer all day free bottle juices , great machine made coffee and Mexican (?) salty-sweet oily, herbal top, big crackers ( not quite edible to me ...) at the front desk - self- service pick up very easy.

2-House Keeping - Need Training a little more

Not sure if it is me..but a Conde Nast Johansens recommended hotel should have a fabulously comfortable bed, I mean the sheets should be completely straight & tuck in tightly not loose ( I am a very still and quiet sleeper so this is not my doing). The house keeper did not remove the bed sheets and re do them each day to keep the bed well stretched.

The sheets were not changed for a few days maybe due to water saving. I can tell because there was a cigarette size whole in the sheet which should have been reported.

She left used wash clothes once and next day her own cleaning cloth. Maybe she is in a hurry?

3- The pillows were not quality goose down but acceptable.

All of the 3 items above can be easily fixed with customer feed back form to see if they would like the hotel to offer muffins, bagels or similar, even banana, apples or cereal bars.

OVER ALL - Hotel Veritas is a good and new hotel possibly the best in Cambridge.
For busy people the location gives a lovely bird eye view of the nice area. Staying in Boston would be a waste and boring unless you are the "must " Mandarin Oriental or similar type people.
Hotel Veritas helpful staff ( 2 of them) are just as nice and good as any staff at a Mandarin Oriental.

I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Veritas and Cambridge, Mass.

Room Tip: Request largest room if possible as the room is quite tiny though well design for the use of the spa...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for writing such a detailed review of Hotel Veritas - and we appreciate that your enjoyed your stay with us.

Your high points are wonderful to read and consistent with what we've heard from our guests since we opened in May 2010.

The low points you mention are great in helping describe the limitations we have a small hotel. Our rates fluctuate depending upon the demand for hotel rooms in Harvard Square - from around $195 to $595 per night. We don't nickel and dime our guests with extra charges for Internet access, N'espresso coffees, Stash teas, Tropicana juices, sodas, Ines Rosales tortas, telephone calls, and gym access. There are three restaurants within one block of the hotel which offer breakfast.

Thank you for mentioning the housekeeping issues. We will immediately address this with the staff. We're sorry that you didn't like the Anichini feather bed pillows.

We strongly encourage anyone needing a large hotel room to make reservations elsewhere. We're well known for the small size of our guest rooms.

Thank you again for your thoughtful and thorough review of our little hotel in Harvard Square and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I spent two nights at the Hotel Veritas and was very impressed. I usually end up staying in larger chain hotels (Marriott, etc.) but decided to give a smaller independent hotel a shot. It was definitely worth it.

My only knock against the Hotel Veritas is that everything about it is small. The lobby/check in area are quite compact, as are the rooms. My room was a regular queen with a small balcony, and my first impression was that the bed took up a disproportionate amount of space. There was also no full tub, just a shower. Perhaps because of space constraints, coffee/tea making equipment is not provided in the rooms, so you have to go to the lobby for self-service. The quality of the coffee you make is excellent, but if you don't care to have interactions with people two minutes after you wake up (which is when I want my coffee!) you will have to get over it. The coffee machine is two feet from the check in desk.

But I give this a 5/5 despite the size issues because everything else is perfect. If I owned a hotel, this is how I'd do it. The facilities are new and tasteful, and the rooms (even without coffee equipment) are beautifully appointed. The bathrooms appear to be brand new. Just walking through the hotel, you can see that when it was renovated, nobody cut any corners, all the way down to the hardware, lighting, etc. Inside the rooms, it is very quiet--I couldn't hear any of the other guests inside their rooms, not even footsteps above. The annoying little dog in the property behind the hotel was the only disturbance.

Service gets very high marks, too. I wanted a refrigerator put in my room, and when I arrived, the man at the check in desk not only confirmed that it was there, but he knew how many hours it had been running and cooling down! When I asked for directions and he couldn't tell me right away, he promised to follow up, and an hour later he did exactly that.

Last are the little things: unlimited (free) bottled water, juice, coffee, and tea all day long. The internet is also free and fast (I hit nearly 15 mbps download when I tested the wireless). The rooms have iPhone/iPod docks for charging/playing music. The bed linens are very nice, and the beds themselves are extremely comfortable. All good.

Add to all of this a perfect location, walkable to everything, and Hotel Veritas is a definite winner. While I prefer larger places where I can be more anonymous, I will get over myself the next time I am in Cambridge and I will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

We are glad that you took a break from the larger chain hotels and gave our little boutique hotel in Harvard Square a chance - and especially pleased that you were impressed!

You are definitely correct that our hotel is small. Throughout our website (and on this site), we actively try to let people know about the small size of our rooms. Most of our rooms have showers and a few have tubs. When making your next reservation, please let us know that you prefer a tub and we'll make every effort to fulfill your request. As for the coffee, you can also call the concierge and we'll deliver it to your room.

Thank you for your nice comments regarding the quality of the hotel, the service, and the amenities. We strive to be a special little hotel and we're so pleased that we connected with you.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I found this hotel on Trip Advisor, and was very glad I did. It was lovely and quiet, and the staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. I liked the decor of the rooms - though they were on the small side, they were equipped with everything you need, and the sheets/bedding were new and luxurious. I didn't think it was overpriced and would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

Thank you for sharing your review of Hotel Veritas on TripAdvisor. We are so glad that you enjoyed the service and amenities which we provide in our little hotel.

We'll look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Staying at the Hotel Veritas was a dreamy experience. I just love it and can't wait to go back. The concierges were so very pleasant and couldn't have been more helpful. The location is superb - such an easy walk to Harvard Square and the University buildings. This hotel is so pretty inside and out. It has a charming, home-like exterior and a stylish interior decor. It's a warm but minimalist kind of look, sort of a cross between what I think of as modern European and modern Japanese. Very soothing and cosy in its own way. Because I was traveling alone the smallish room size, which the hotel alerts you to on the website, was a non-issue for me. The sheets make you feel like you're in a spa! I had a wonderful time and extended my stay by a day in part so I could enjoy another 24 hours in this wonderful place. Also loved the cold cut plate (can't remember the fancy name) which was exquisite. Every little touch is done to perfection. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: My room was on the 4th floor. I was not bothered by the slight noises I heard from the street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Veritas - and we truly appreciate your kind words. We strive to provide our guests with a special experience while they are with us and we greatly enjoy connecting well with our guests. Thank you for staying with us and for posting your review of Hotel Veritas on TripAdvisor.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

We are in the Cambridge/Boston area every other month to visit family and friends, so we are familiar with the accommodations in are area. This was our first stay at Hotel Veritas, and we were so impressed! We will be returning, for sure.

All of the staff was especially friendly and helpful, as were the other guests. The atmosphere was very international and upscale boutique - a wonderful break from large chain hotels.

The suite was lovely and clean and smelled like a fine home's guest room - not a sterile hotel. The furnishings and artwork were perfect. The balcony was really nice, as were the soaps/toiletries (not too masculine, not too feminine).

Parking was truly worth it - right there - quick in/out. The coffee/latte/tea bar and snacks in the lobby were lovely and much appreciated. The bed was truly comfortable, linens and pillows perfection.

The only slight draw was the rumble of the T below the street, but it really was not a nuisance at all - and actually the whole hotel was much more quiet than others within the Boston area.

Thank you for a wonderful stay, Hotel Veritas, and we'll be back.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony - if you are planning to stay a few nights - this is a nice option.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa S
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Thank you for your incredibly kind review of Hotel Veritas. We're so happy that you enjoyed the service and ambiance, as well as the furnishings and amenities. We strive to be a special little hotel - and we're pleased that you found us to your liking.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Our sisters' weekend spent at the Hotel Veritas in Cambridge was perfect. The hotel is easy to find and has dedicated curbside parking when you arrive. (Desk staff handled the moving of our car in/out of the garage each time out of our presence, so although there is a daily parking fee, no valet tipping was required.) The receptionist immediately met us outside to welcome us and to help with luggage. The lobby/gathering room was intimate but beautifully appointed (lovely, sinkable velvet couches/chairs, interesting lighting, roaring fire, great ambiance.) The entire hotel is built to a very high standard -- beautiful woodwork with thick, substantial moldings, gorgeous wall sconces, thick wool carpeting, and up market linens, case goods and bathroom fixtures. Our room with two double beds and a balcony was small, more typically European. It was well laid out, however, with a large closet and dresser to accommodate luggage. Even with the three of us, we had no trouble navigating. There was a thermostat in the bathroom for the underfloor heating (much appreciated on those cold Boston mornings!) and another thermostat in the room for air/heat. It was a bit confusing -- a call to the receptionist quickly sorted out the issue. Just near the check-in desk, there is a small, complimentary refreshment area, available 24/7. On offer is a large, commercial style Nespresso machine where you can make yourself an espresso, cappuccino, etc. A refrigerator door built into the beautiful cabinetry holds water, juices, etc. Sweet and savory treats of Ines Rosales tortas are set out in the mornings and afternoons. The staff throughout our stay was lovely and helpful. They gave suggestions on what to see/do during our visit, outlined walking tours of Harvard and the historic homes of Cambridge suburbs (be sure to stop in at the Formaggio market for mouthwatering cheeses, meats, wines, breads, pastries, etc.,) suggested sightseeing tours of Boston, and made restaurant recommendations. The location of Hotel Veritas is superb. Walk right out of the door and into Harvard Square with shopping, cafes, etc. It is a 1 minute drive to Memorial drive, with access to I90. Cambridge is only 5 miles from the heart of Boston. We recommend the Hotel Veritas without reservation to anyone who desires a small, elegant, boutique hotel experience with friendly staff and lovely amenities.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

Your detailed review of Hotel Veritas is greatly appreciated! We are so thankful that you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as the amenities and service.

We await your next visit.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I have never been to a better hotel. Laurie and Joanie treated us incredibly well. The room was comfortable and fresh. The parking was a great amenity and really made the trip for us. Yummy snacks and drinks. Great bath products. Soft beds. A fun balcony — spring for the upgrade!

Thanks, Hotel Veritas.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a balcony in summer time!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

We're so happy that you had such an incredible stay! Thank you for sharing your review of Hotel Veritas on TripAdvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back.