“Good location - needs new mattresses”
Review of Charles Hotel

Charles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We are staying here right now. Overall I would say decor, cleanliness, furnishings fine. Very spacious rooms. Sound level average. When a lamp needed fixing, it was done right away. But with the prices charged, they should have replaced this mattress years ago. Some reviews seemed to indicate variations in furniture, maybe some are better?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
sdevenne, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I also appreciate your suggestions for improvement and will take this into consideration. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The Charles Hotel is a very good hotel and worthy of serious consideration when visiting Cambridge MA.

Check in was efficient and the front desk were helpful. On first entering the hotel I was struck by the feeling of a lovely warm hotel,with my first vision of bookcases filled with books. There was a distinctive New England feel.
The Room.
I stayed for four nights in room 618. The feeling I experienced when first entering the hotel was repeated when I first entered my room. It was a lovely and comfortable room.
The bathroom was functional and some might say on the small side., not me. The bathroom was very clean and well stocked with towels and high end bathroom products. There was a safe with the usual 4+ digit code, an iron and ironing board. The ironing board was a little rocky, but did the job.
The bed was nicely set out, 4 pillows, and an end of bed quilt. Sheets were of good quality and the bed suited my shape well. The room was quiet and the sleep quality was high. There is a good desk work area. The room is nicely furnished with restful colours. The TV does the job, but could not find a DVD player.
The lighting is well controlled and particularly the bedside lamps.
I ate all my meals at the hotel and they were excellent particularly breakfast which I regarded as good value particularly the two egg breakfast. The size of the breakfast ( 2 eggs) could almost be shared.
I took an independent operator for my trip to the airport ( Larry from the Fairmont), car was clean on time and cost $30.
The price for the room was approximately $500/ night including taxes. Hotel laundry is expensive, there are many commercial laundries within easy walking distance and provide same day service
If you are visiting Cambridge then seriously consider The Charles Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Gregory G
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your Charles Hotel experience. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay as well as the surrounding area; your kind words will not go unnoticed. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Great location. nice rooms with no fuss, very comfortable and well equipped, everything working as it should. Good breakfast, interesting Harvard clientele, friendly service and on location parking. What more could you ask for. My only complaint - we found a hypodermic and needle under our bed. So they should improve the cleanliness standards. It is not cheap - but what would you a\expect?

2  Thank Toni13
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear of the inconveniences you experienced in your guest room. I appreciate your suggestions for improvement and will address your issue with our Director of Services. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The Charles exceeded expectations in terms of location, personnel and ambience. We would return in a minute. However, I hope at some point the hotel will completely automate its wakeup system. Human error resulted in our getting someone else's wakeup call much earlier than the one we requested; an unnecessary annoyance. The shower system is a bit awkward and the mattress uncomfortably soft. The television in the bathroom mirror is a novelty that proved to be a surprisingly enjoyable amenity. Curiously, there was no coffee/tea setup in the room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not fully enjoy your stay and I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. I also appreciate your suggestions for improvement and will take these into consideration. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel has a real New England feel: wood furnishings, a fabulously large desk in the room, a quilt on the bed. The designers were quite thoughtful: the bathroom vanity was spacious and there was enough room for all of our toiletries on the attractive granite counter; the showerhead actually had enough water pressure to wash the conditioner out of my hair (a rarity, in my experience); the towels and linens were soft and comfortable. There is free coffee or tea for guests in the morning, and even a printout with headlines from around the world in various languages for foreign guests. The staff were attentive and helpful: I needed help getting a pair of earbuds out of the awful plastic packaging and the young man at the front desk spent a good 10 minutes helping me extract them. The location is perfect: central to everything, near enough to Harvard to walk there, and quiet at night. We got a group discount, as we were there for a reunion weekend, but honestly we'd pay the full price if we had to. We can't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your guest room as well as your interactions with our staff. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the team. If I can assist you further, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

This hotel was a great place to stay from check-in to check out. The hotel is very upscale without being too pretentious. The restaurants are all amazing. Complimentary coffee from Henrietta's was a very nice touch each morning.
Rooms were quiet with nice furnishings including the shampoos, soaps, etc. Loved getting a real paper at my door too!
If I am in the Cambridge area again I would definitely stay here.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Brklynrider
ejstefan, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, including your time spent dining with us and your guestroom. If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

The hotel is very nice! Great rooms, views and amenities. But the front desk staff had an attitude when I asked for a specific view- they acted like it was too much trouble to find me that view. I would really have appreciated an effort even if they couldn't get me what I wanted. Overall I did get a nice room and the hotel was great but the service needs improvement.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tina P

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Charles. I apologize for the troublesome time you had upon check-in. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and it has been addressed with our Front Office Director. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving. If you have any further comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles Hotel in the future.

Alex Attia

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Kendall Hotel
#1 of 19 in Cambridge
Downtown
InterContinental Boston

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!