“Beware of the Noir Bar”

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
South Portland, Maine
“Beware of the Noir Bar”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

If you plan to stay at the Charles Hotel ask for a room that DOES NOT overlook the Noir Bar. I was jolted awake at 12:45 each night to the loud, loud revelers making their way from other bars to the Charles Hotel. The constant loud voices, some ad hoc music and clanking plates lasted until 3:00 a.m.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
alexattia, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations and apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused. Please know that guest satisfaction is our top priority here at The Charles and we are constantly working on improving.

If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Alex Attia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Charles Hotel. It is very close to Harvard Square so good for access to the T Red line (connecting to the Silver Line at South Station so easy to get to and from by public transport) plus cafes, restaurants, shops, laundromat, etc. And of course next to Harvard! Plus next to the Charles River. Excellent service. Great rooms with all facilities. We were able to get a rollaway bed for our 3rd son. Very comfortable beds and large bathrooms. Cafe on site excellent for breakfast and dinner. We will return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
alexattia, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you and your family enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from your time spent dining with us, to our convenient location.

If I can assist you in any way, please contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles sometime soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Wonderful property, well maintained and very comfortable with a professional, helpful and friendly staff throughout. Kudos to the concierge Frank who was kind and knowledgeable, and Howie bar tending at Henrietta's Table, a charming pro. Room service is outstanding. We will always stay at this property, when visiting our daughter at Harvard or just planning a getaway in Boston

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing such a detailed review regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. Your kind words with not go unnoticed. I would be happy to share your comments with the rest of the team.

If I can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at aattia@charleshotel.com. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Charles and giving you the experience you expect and deserve from us.

Ohio
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is the best hotel near Harvard. The rooms are really clean and nicely apportioned. The staff was available and helpful. However, if you are a serious coffee drinker like me, it will drive you mad that there is no in-room coffee at all. It was offered to me to go downstairs to the restaurant (even in pajamas) but that is not the same as having coffee in your room. (Plus, I would not walk through a hotel in my pajamas.) I ordered room service every day (for a week!), just for coffee and of course, that is expensive. $3 for delivery and 18% gratuity mandatory and then there is some pressure to give an additional tip. Plus, the coffee is expensive to start with. But, really, everything else was wonderful - and compared to the stories I have heard about the other hotels close to Harvard, I would stay again in The Charles.

Room Tip: Not the third floor - has a pool/chlorine smell
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay along with everything Harvard Square and the surrounding area has to offer. Also, please know that a coffee maker can requested for future stays and one will be delivered to your guestroom upon arrival.

Simsbury, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel looks very elegant, but it's the annoying things that ruin your stay. While waiting for our room to be ready, we tried to sit in the lobby, but the very pretty couches are set too far apart for conversation. So we finally went outside and took seats on the patio, in spite of the wind. This the only hotel I have stayed in in the past 20 years that doesn't have an in-room coffee maker. No late night or early morning coffee while you're getting ready. The TV is at a 90 degree angel to the bed, so no watching TV in bed. The room was set up so one side of the bed is blocked by the furniture, leaving one of us with the choice to crawl across the bed each time, or move the furniture to clear a path (we chose to move the furniture). The TV is at a 90 degree angle to the bed, and there is only one comfortable chair in the room, so no watching TV in bed, and only one at a time. The temperature controls didn't seem to be working so we called the desk and were told they in room controls don't work anymore - it's all preset. Which left the room uncomfortably warm for sleeping. There is a very pretty ice bucket in the bathroom with a card that says to call if you want ice. Ice is handed to you at your door in a plastic bag - that leaks! Why don't they just keep the ice bucket with the ice, then present you with a full bucket when you call, well, that would make sense to me, and prevent the carpet getting wet from the bag leaking. And last, but not least - the drain in the bathtub was broken and the tub didn't drain. When I called for maintenance, I was told "just to pry up the drain and leave it out if I'm not using it - very classy. Brunch at Henrietta's Table is fantastic, even if you don't stay here.
If you are looking for a place that looks good (and is VERY close to Harvard) this place may suit you, but if you are looking for a COMFORTABLE room, I would not stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Arlene H
alexattia, General Manager at Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Charles Hotel while at Harvard University for a conference. The hotel is perfect. No fault at all. Quiet and very spacious rooms (had one with double beds). Excellent room service. Excellent restaurants within the hotel and nearby. The free wifi was decent and worked in the rooms and lobby. The in-room safe worked well and the minibar was convenient. The location is ideal - near plenty of shopping and restaurants and cafes. A short stroll to the Harvard University buildings and main campus. Will definitely stay here again if needing accommodation at Harvard University.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I would be happy to share your kind words with the team. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Charles in the future.

Cupertino, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

As usual I booked my flights to Boston long in advance using hipmunk.com and then later I get around to the hotel, again on hipmunk.com (awesome website for flights and hotels - my best advice to my fellow travelers). Stayed 12 nights on business trip at Harvard. The Charles Hotel is the best in the area; a bit pricey, but this is Cambridge after all. I wanted a quiet room so I got a room facing the inner courtyard and it is definitely quiet. Free delicious coffee on the second floor to open and close my day. Great workout room. Also walked along the Charles river as an alternate for exercise. Some friends stayed at other hotels, but they loved my room and ambiance of my hotel when they visited me. Did not use the hotel restaurant since always ate out for every meal.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Charles Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope you get the chance to dine with us during your next stay.

Alex Attia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Downtown
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
#2 of 83 in Boston

Been to Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!