“So want to give it five stars....but not just yet!”
Review of Kendall Hotel

Kendall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Southern CA
“So want to give it five stars....but not just yet!”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

A few things make this hotel miss the "five star" mark. Otherwise, it is outstanding and we will definitely be back! It is quaint, well-decorated, and absolutely adorable. Convenience to the T is probably one of the best perks, but the Legal Seafood across the street was nice as well. The Black Sheep restaurant in the hotel just didn't have anything we wanted, but it looked really nice. Again, it is, overall, really nice, but a few things kept me from giving it five stars:

First, the breakfast buffet is "good" rather than really good. The sad part is that it is the employees that made it so. They seemed so disinterested and almost "put-out" to be working there. The people in the restaurant portion were nicer, but the guys in the actual buffet room were less than enthusiastic. The offerings were good and very basic: scrambled eggs all three days we were there, cantaloupe, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal with dried fruit and granola, yogurt, toast, bananas, sweet rolls, bacon, etc. For a "free" buffet, this was better than any chain hotel for sure!

Second, if you have the unfortunate luck of getting a room at the back of the hotel, you will be awakened by the business back there in the wee hours of the morning. Lots of clanging and trucks coming and going. I think the trash trucks came at about 5 am!

But really, none of the above should deter you from trying this really great little gem. Boston proper is so overpriced. The Kendall was really a great surprise! The elevator was fast and the history of the place made it an absolute find! The rooms were clean and good-sized. I am also a clean fanatic and I found this hotel to be above average in that department.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front, not the back!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelAllMyDays

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I have had occasion to stay at the Kendall three times within the past month, related to an exhibition at the List Center for the Visual Arts/MIT; the campus is only a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. I cannot say enough about the experience of staying at, and returning to, the Kendall: It now feels like home. The staff is warm, welcoming and helpful, the rooms clean and quiet. Each room I've stayed in—one single, two doubles—has been immaculate. The complimentary breakfast is varied and fresh. I usually keep to the lighter side of that meal, but the granola is delicious, and there's fresh fruit and yogurt on offer. Other diners have plates bearing eggs, bacon, etc. There's juice, and a variety of coffees and teas. The restaurant, though obviously charging for lunch and dinner, serves a fine meal, with the same attentive and friendly service. I was told there's a sister hotel, and I'm sure it's equally as delightlful, but as I said to Pieke, who staffs the front desk, "For me, if it's Cambridge, it must be Kendall." I don't usually speak in slogans, so it's a testimony to how fine they are. Kudos must be given as well to Beverly and Parker. It doesn't get sweeter, better—or more convenient to MIT—than the Kendall.

Room Tip: I always ask for a quiet room any time I travel. The Kendall has accommodated this request each time...
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This place is a little gem in Cambridge. It has a very distinctive historical styles its lots of little details which hint at its historical roots, all done in a charming way. Staff members were friendly. All the rooms appear to be differently styled. It definitely makes a change from the standard Marriott/Sheraton/Radisson type places. Wifi was included, as was breakfast (a decent buffet). The on-site restaurant is also good. There's also use of a local gym, although I didn't use this. Location-wise it's very good for MIT. Cambridgeshire Galleria is about 15 mins walk away and the hotel is right next to Kendall/MIT T stop.

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Great location and very close to the t station. Hotel is full of character although the room might be a bit on the small side. Nevertheless hotel has tons of charm. Don't bother with the breakfast though, waste of time

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monkey168
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed here for a wedding. The service could not have been worse. When we checked in we were given someone else's reservation info at check in. Then, having emailed and confirmed thru hotel car service, they completely failed to book it, leaving us stranded an hour and a half away for 2 hours. When I tried to discuss this with them and show them emails where they had booked and confirmed they could not have cared less. Informed me someone would follow up next week. Never ever stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Cemily77
Brenda A, Manager at Kendall Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
The staff and management at the Kendall Hotel take ALL customer complaints and issues seriously, especially those that escalate to a level where abusive language is used towards myself and my staff. Out of respect for my employees, I have instructed them to never engage a situation where a heated customer is directing profanity at them.
The Kendall Hotel does not have a car service. Any car service we recommend or facilitate is an independent contractor functioning under their own means and standards.
Guest service and satisfaction is our priority; zero defects are something we always strive for, but as we are human, cannot always be achieved – empathy is necessary to deal with human error. Some of the best lessons are learned from past mistakes. The error of the past is the wisdom of the future.

Regards,
Brenda Anderson
berkeley
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed at the Kendall Hotel for 3 nights in May to attend a graduation. Our king-bed room was spacious and immaculate, appealingly decorated. The staff at reception were welcoming and helpful when we asked questions about transportation, etc. Bed very comfortable, plenty of storage in the room, and the hotel is quiet, although a nearby Google construction project was somewhat noisy during daytime hours, which didn't bother us. The breakfast was plentiful. Being near a "T" stop made the hotel ideal for us.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank triptravelBerkeley
Orange County, California
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Hotel has alot of character, and it's located in one of the best areas of Cambridge. I believe that for the price, the rooms and bathroom can be cleaner. The suite had a very nice and large bed, however, a few bed bugs were observed. The bathroom was not cleaned well enough, as I can still see the dark stains from the last guests.Breakfast needs work, and so does the restaurant service. I give this hotel 3 stars for the nice gentleman at the front desk, Pieke, and for location, and spacious rooms. If I may recommend, perhaps a little better cleaning, and new restaurant staff would be great, as the delays are very long, and the food options, not too many.

Brenda A, Manager at Kendall Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
I am so sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your stay at the Kendall. Any negative feedback about the cleanliness of our hotel hits me close to home as I stay at the hotel more frequently than any of our guests. Quality control is utmost on my mind, which is why I try to stay in as many of our rooms as I can as often as I can. My standards for cleanliness are high, and that is reflected in the measures we take here at the Kendall. Hotel industry standards dictate that a member of the cleaning staff clean 16-18 rooms per shift, whereas Kendall standards only allow our staff members to clean 12-13 rooms per shift so that they may take their time and thoroughly clean and inspect each room. We use the best cleaning products available and most advanced pest control options. Every mattress in our hotel is fitted with a special encasement to ensure superior bed-bug and allergen prevention; since our opening a little over 10 years ago, I have not had complaints about our bedding.
It is rare I hear any complaints about our breakfast buffet, as it is beloved by most our guests. I often hear rave reviews about our variety and quality. Special emphasis is often placed on our never-ending piles of crispy bacon, fresh fruit and house-made granola.
I would very much welcome the opportunity of speaking with you so I may personally inspect the room you stayed in during your recent visit. I can be reached at 617 577 1300. I am truly sorry we let you down on your visit but it is my hope that you stay with us again and see the level of care and effort we put into giving all of our guests a great experience!

My best,
Brenda Anderson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Seaport Boston Hotel
Seaport Boston Hotel
#3 of 83 in Boston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,565 reviews

Been to Kendall Hotel? Share your experiences!