“The Service and Charm are Fantastic”
Review of Kendall Hotel

Kendall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Usually, we are in town for a night or two to catch a game or a concert.
We've stayed here 3 times now, and are VERY happy with not only the quality of the rooms, but with the great customer service. There was an issue with our bill (Which was EXPEDIA'S fault) and it was not only corrected immediately, but with possibly the smoothest, most polite service I've had in a very long time.
The location adjacent to The T is the second biggest plus for the hotel. The rooms are much nicer than what the price reflects. The complimentary breakfast would be $20-$30 somewhere else, and overall, it's the best bang for your buck if you want to travel around the city. It's next to MIT so it's quiet at night and active during the day.
I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a friend (not romantic partner) save a few bucks and book a kingsize ro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kendall Hotel

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed at the Kendall Hotel (a former fire house!) during a business trip to Cambridge/Boston and the experience couldn't have been better. I had asked for a room on a higher floor, away from elevator halls and with plenty of daylight. Although the hotel was fully booked I got just what I asked for. The room was large, extremely well appointed and cozy. A very comfortable bed helped me wake up quite relaxed despite the short nights due to the intense work agenda. Breakfast was good and the restaurant great (lighter meals at lunch and "fine dining" menu for dinner with a very good wine selection). The hotel is perfectly located for business at MIT or nearby corporations and is a short drive from Logan airport. I arrived on a beautiful sunny day and endured a snow storm the following days, but the temperature in the hotel was always controlled at a very comfortable level. Overall, a very nice experience and it will definitely be my first choice in Cambridge.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BSF-Lx
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I was very impressed with this hotel. Would definitely stay here again next time I am in the area. Small cozy place with excellent rooms, terrific service and nice complementary breakfast. They really make you feel like home.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Deguello17
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel about 5 or 6 years ago when my daughter went to school there. She recently moved to Cambridge so we decided to try it again. We usually stay at a Marriott because we've always had good luck there but decided to mix things up. Should have gone with my first inclination and stayed at the Marriott.
Booked my reservation for the first weekend in January. I went to the Kenmore Hotel website and followed the links provided for reservations. That was my first mistake. I thought I was booking with the hotel itself when actually I was not. And this was a link provided at THEIR website. If you choose to do this be forewarned...There are several choices of rooms/packages in the drop down menu and the cancellation policy is not the same for each one. Apparently the one I chose had a 7 day prior to arrival cancellation policy! Unfortunately, the weekend we booked also happened to be one for which a blizzard was predicted. When we called to cancel 3 days before we were told of the policy for the package we had chosen. And we were also told that we had not booked directly with the hotel. Crazy since the link was provided BY THE HOTEL. To their credit, after much haggling by my husband, they did allow us to cancel and gave us full credit if we rebooked by the
end of February. I cannot really fault them too much though because I should have read the policy more closely and they did make good on it in the end.
I checked in on 2/28/14 and found that the lobby was undergoing renovation. Not a big deal to me, but the place was a bit of a mess. I was told "we upgraded you to a king" ....whatever that meant. I was given room 405, which as it turned out was a handicap accessible room. The bathroom was huge but there was no counter space to put out any of your stuff as it was a single sink which jutted out from the wall quite a bit....presumably for wheelchair access. The tub/shower had very poor water pressure. There were 2 different shower heads; one was on a slide so you could move it up and down. The other was stationary. I never could figure out how to get water to come out of the sliding shower head so I made do with the poorly pressured stationary one. At the back of the tub was some type of seat which I actually had to remove when I showered as it took up a great deal of space.
The room itself was lovely and very well decorated. The furniture was eclectic but everything seemed to go together well. The biggest drawback? There was NO CLOSET. That's right, no place to hang you clothes unless you used the hooks on the wall where the hotel robes were hanging.
That being said, I think I wouldn't really have minded all this too much if not for the fact that the walls seemed paper thin. I get that this is a historic building and all and that is part of its charm, but it is also a problem. I should have known it would be bad when I could hear the man in the next room sneezing as if he was right in my room with me! The first night there weren't really any issues except for a few slamming doors and a bit of loud talking in the halls. However, the second night I was awakened from a sound sleep at 2:30 a.m. by some very loud talking in the hall. I waited a few minutes thinking it was someone in the hall coming in or saying good-night to their friends. After 10 minutes I got up and looked out the peephole to see a twenty-something guy sitting on one of the chairs by the elevator (which was literally 6 feet from my door) talking on his cell phone. I guess he didn't want to keep the people he was traveling with awake with his loud talking, but had no problem keeping me awake. I cracked the door and asked him to take it back to his room as he was keeping me, and probably some others awake as well. Lol then he proceeded to tell whomever he was talking to how rude I was for asking him to go back to his room when he was out in the hotel common area and the least I could have done was say please!! Then he said all the people in Boston were idiots and he thought he should stay in California for his PhD program! Have to admit I agreed with him; he should stay in California! Luckily he returned to his room to annoy the people there and that's the last I saw of him but it did take me a while to get back to sleep. I thought about calling the front desk when I first got up, but when I had returned to the hotel that night there was no one to be found in the under construction lobby area, but in hindsight that probably would have been best.
This hotel does have some good points though. The breakfast was good, plenty of choices, hot and fairly good and included in the room price. Access to the T is great; just a few feet to the Kendall Square station and there are some decent places to eat within easy walking distance. But the paper thin walls between the rooms and common areas are a deal breaker for me. I won't be returning. If you are hard of hearing however, or the noise doesn't bother you, it's an ok place.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the elevators as possible!! This cannot be emphasized enough.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lakeshore18
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently for business. Beds are so comfortable. Breakfast is the best I've had in any hotel for a long time. Loved the Bircher Muesli!
The manager Brenda was incredibly helpful when I needed some help during my stay, went out of her to sort me out and saved me a lot of time and trouble. Touches like that make it a home from home for me.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank greenfields00
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We LOVED this place. The history of the building and the renovations of it into a boutique hotel are amazing. Our room was well appointed, comfortable and pleasant. The decor throughout the hotel was just so fun to look at. The breakfast buffet exceeded out expectations. I can't say enough good things about our experience at the Kendall. If we're ever in Cambridge again, we'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank sublimetimesforme
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The Kendall is a terrific choice for greater Boston given its proximity to the Red Line in Kendall Square, Cambridge. On-site parking at a reasonable rate is a plus as is the plentiful, and delicious, breakfast served buffet-style. The MIT campus is steps away (the Coop directly across the street) and well worth exploring, if only to experience The Infinite Corridor. In nice weather, the campus has many interesting pieces of artwork, and also the Frank Gehry designed Stata Center in stark contrast to the brownstones of Back Bay.

The Kendall staff are attentive, pleasant and eager to fulfill requests as efficiently as possible.
As frequent visitors, we have been upgraded on a few occasions to a lovely suite which is not often the case in larger properties in Boston.

A nice, quiet and reasonably priced alternative to a large hotel - easily accessible and worth a try.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Downtown
Four Seasons Hotel Boston
Back Bay
Courtyard Boston Copley Square

Been to Kendall Hotel? Share your experiences!