“Need a "Good" Rating Here”
Review of Kendall Hotel

Kendall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I can't give our experience a "Very Good", and seeing how it was closer to "Average" that's what they're getting. Sprung a $25 parking charge on me when it wasn't listed online or any correspondence. Elevator painfully slow, so I always took the stairs between the 3rd floor and lobby. Breakfast was very good. Only option for meat was bacon, 1 sliced fruit (honeydew). Syrups for pancakes not labeled, so guesswork there. Not enough seats/tables for breakfast when hotel is full, so folks sitting everywhere with plates on their laps. Overall, rate was high for what we experienced and service received. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: 307 was good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank John D

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I only spent one night here, but would stay here again in the future anytime I am staying in Cambridge. This hotel has lots of character, making it a fun place to be, but the quality matches the creativity.

The room was spotless and had every amenity I could ask for (including free room-by-room wi-fi). The staff were helpful and quick with everything that needed to be done to check me in & out. Breakfast was included and was a well-cooked selection of fruits, veggies, hot & cold dishes, pastries, coffee, tea, etc...

The price was good, despite being located in the middle of Cambridge, and parking is relatively easy to find nearby (if you don't want to spend $25 on the hotel's option).

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed for the weekend. The service and staff were great, and the room was fine (look elsewhere if you need a fridge or microwave). The location for MIT is great, and within a block of subway stop. The up and down can be slow with seven floors and only one elevator.
The included breakfast is far superior to the included breakfast at the chain hotels, but look out on Sunday morning. The Sunday we were there the dining area was totally over-run, without enough places to sit and the kitchen had trouble keeping the serving trays full.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We have to travel to Boston once a month for eye treatments. We chose the Kendall, at first because it was directly across the street from the MERCI eye institute. We continue to stay there because it does not feel like a hotel. From the historic treatment (the building is the old firehouse #7) of the decor to the cleaver art on every floor, this is a place for individuals who want more than a "cookie cutter" place to stay.This is a boutique hotel without the attitude. The entire staff is easy to talk to and work to make you comfortable. We have stayed in various rooms. They are all differently laid out and all comfortable and VERY clean. At 5pm go up to the top floor for complimentary wine and snacks. If you eat dinner at their Black Sheep restaurant(excellent kitchen) you get a 20% discount on two entrees.The Breakfast buffet has healthy, well presented offerings to get any busy day started on the right foot.
Being in MIT's back yard, across the street from Google and down the block from Microsoft, the place has a young, intellectual vibe going. We are an older couple, and love overhearing intelligent conversations happening in the intimate sitting areas in the lobby. If you are in Cambridge, stay here. (Half a block from the Red LIne T stop).

Room Tip: There is an Historic section of rooms with exposed beams of the old firehouse. We have never had a...
1  Thank Cookie B
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I recently stayed here at the Kendall for a couple of weeks on a business trip and I LOVED it! This hotel is, by far, one of the best I have had the pleasure of visiting. It is unique and charming, with all sorts of fun and quirky artwork around, definitely not the sort of "cookie-cutter" decorations you see when you stay at a Marriott or Hyatt. Everywhere you look there's just so much character and charm!

The staff here is fantastic as well - warm, friendly, and welcoming, they were so helpful while I was trying to get my bearings. I must have talked to them every single evening to get suggestions on where to go, what to do, and how to get there, and they were always more than happy to answer my questions.

Cleanliness is a big deal for me and this place was SPOTLESS, both when I checked in and throughout my stay. The bed was super comfy and almost made me late to work a few times because I just didn't want to get out of it! Wi-Fi was included in my total stay and was reliable and fast. Breakfast was included too and the buffet was awesome. I'm not usually a big breakfast eater but I was down there every morning. Dinner in the restaurant was fantastic and their wine list was spectacular, definitely better than what you typically find in a hotel restaurant.

The Kendall definitely made what normally would have been a long, dreary work trip almost like a vacation, and while I was happy to be heading home I was sad to leave such a wonderful place. I will never stay anywhere else when I return to Boston/Cambridge!

2  Thank SarahSmile86
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Usually, we are in town for a night or two to catch a game or a concert.
We've stayed here 3 times now, and are VERY happy with not only the quality of the rooms, but with the great customer service. There was an issue with our bill (Which was EXPEDIA'S fault) and it was not only corrected immediately, but with possibly the smoothest, most polite service I've had in a very long time.
The location adjacent to The T is the second biggest plus for the hotel. The rooms are much nicer than what the price reflects. The complimentary breakfast would be $20-$30 somewhere else, and overall, it's the best bang for your buck if you want to travel around the city. It's next to MIT so it's quiet at night and active during the day.
I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a friend (not romantic partner) save a few bucks and book a kingsize ro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed at the Kendall Hotel (a former fire house!) during a business trip to Cambridge/Boston and the experience couldn't have been better. I had asked for a room on a higher floor, away from elevator halls and with plenty of daylight. Although the hotel was fully booked I got just what I asked for. The room was large, extremely well appointed and cozy. A very comfortable bed helped me wake up quite relaxed despite the short nights due to the intense work agenda. Breakfast was good and the restaurant great (lighter meals at lunch and "fine dining" menu for dinner with a very good wine selection). The hotel is perfectly located for business at MIT or nearby corporations and is a short drive from Logan airport. I arrived on a beautiful sunny day and endured a snow storm the following days, but the temperature in the hotel was always controlled at a very comfortable level. Overall, a very nice experience and it will definitely be my first choice in Cambridge.

2  Thank BSF-Lx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Seaport Boston Hotel
#3 of 84 in Boston
Back Bay
Courtyard Boston Copley Square

Been to Kendall Hotel? Share your experiences!