“3rd Enjoyable Visti to the Kendall”
Review of Kendall Hotel

Kendall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Orlando, FL
“3rd Enjoyable Visti to the Kendall”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Just returned from our third and likely our last stay at the Kendall. My son has just completed his MIT degree. Each time I traveled to Cambridge over the past 4 years I stayed at this unique hotel. It is not fancy, indeed it is more like staying in a large home. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The included breakfast each morning is worth looking forward to. The location is about 100 yards from the Kendall/MIT subway station. Boston is just a 1 mile walk across the bridge. During baseball season you can hear the crowd cheer from Fenway Park. I highly recommend this special place for personal or business travel to the Cambridge/Boston area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PJK081
Brenda A, General Manager at Kendall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
We are thrilled that you keep coming back! It is always nice to hear when the uniqueness of our hotel is appreciated. The owners put a lot of time and effort into giving the hotel its character, and differentiating each and every room. Hope to see you a 4th time.
Brenda and The Kendall Family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edina
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is a wonderful boutique hotel very near the MIT campus. I specifically requested a quiet room and this is what we received. The room was quiet, the bed was comfortable, they provided wonderfully sized bars of soap and Gilchrist & Soames body lotion, shampoo and conditioner. The complementary breakfast buffet had many great choices. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
The Kendall aims to be a peaceful and quiet oasis in the midst of all the bustle and commerce of MIT and the surrounding Boston area. Glad we were able to give you everything that you expected and more.

We do hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Many thanks,

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Even if you are spending time elsewhere, such as at a local college's reunion, this location can't be beat; it is right by the Kendall Square "T" stop. The hotel itself is cosy and comfortable, though I found the flag-themed decor in the rooms a bit cloying, and I was unable to sleep the first night because of the strongly-scented detergent that had been used on the sheets. The next day, they were changed and all was well, though I noticed the same overwhelming scent on the napkins at breakfast. (I'm not usually at all sensitive to perfumes -- this was unavoidable.) The breakfast was quite nice -- either pancakes or french toast, scrambled or hard-boiled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, pastries, and fruit -- though no points are given for rock-hard peaches, folks. The room was about 85% clean; there were a couple of hairs in the bathroom when I arrived. And, really, can we stem the tide of hotels not providing freshly washed glasses every day? Having the housekeepers wash them by hand is NOT satisfactory. And, yes, we can tell.

1 Thank BakerNomi
Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve. And yes, the location is incredible. The owners of The Kendall were thrilled when their proposal to the City of Cambridge to save the Engine 7 Firehouse was awarded to them - being able to attain a historic property right by the T, minutes from downtown Boston, and situated next to MIT campus, they knew they had to do something very special. They did not want a "cookie-cutter" hotel but envisioned and created a hotel very indicative of Boston.

Cheers!
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is a mix between a nice bed and breakfast, and a modern hotel. The staff was friendly and the hotel is very clean. The single rooms can be a little small and they're all decorated in a chic, boutique, homey sort of way. The beds are a little smaller than a typical queen and I almost wish that we had reserved a room with a king-sized bed.

The breakfast in the morning is absolutely delicious!! Homemade scones, homemade granola, eggs, bacon, sausage, more pastries, homestyle potatoes, juice, coffee, oatmeal, other specialty grains and some super healthy things to put in it as well. Just the breakfast was enough to make me enjoy my visit!!! I looked forward to waking up each morning knowing about the breakfast. We would go down around 7:30 - 8 and there was absolutely no problem with crowds.

They offer parking at $25/day in their garage below the building or supposedly a surface lot. I wish that I had asked about their parking lot instead of going to park in the garage. You have to drive down a small road to the left of the hotel and then turn down into a VERY tight, narrow, steep ramp into a cramped basement with limited parking. I could barely turn around and it was the worst excuse for a parking garage I've ever seen. I felt very nervous about leaving my car down there only for the fear of another patron hitting it in the cramped quarters.

I want to preface this part by saying that I would absolutely stay at this hotel again sometime. We had a great time at our conference in Boston and this hotel was also wonderful. However, they apparently have "an old heating/AC system" and so at night, even though we would turn the temperature all the way to "Cold", the room would be way too hot in the morning. My girlfriend and I would wake up sweating, and wondering what was wrong. At the front desk, they informed me that because the system was so old, they could only have the heat or AC on at one time. This means that even if you turn the "AC" on in the room, it will still come out as warm air if they have the heat on in the building.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows that will open.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hey, Jordan. So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I apologize for any A/C issues in your room. Our system can either be set to Cool or Heat, so during transitional times of year, when the temperature is in a state of flux, it can be tough to get the building just the right temperature for everyone - good news is we are upgrading our air conditioning system as I write this. It appears you were in the original firehouse section of the hotel where we house 11 of our 77 guest rooms - there are a few rooms in this section that are architecturally unique and only can accommodate a queen bed; some folks love these rooms for their unique style while others do prefer the larger king bedded rooms --please check out our larger rooms with king beds on your next trip.

Glad you enjoyed the breakfast. We'll keep the bacon coming!
Acton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. The hotel staff was very friendly, and the breakfast selection is really worth the title of Fireman's breakfast. We had lovely gourmet pancakes, sausages, bacon, yogurt, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, toast, and freshly baked pastries. The coffee was excellent, and lobby coffee was constantly refilled! We loved the fact that it was literally a block away from the T-Station. We used the stroller for our 2 year old for the entire vacation and never had to rent a car or hire a taxi. Rooms were very clean and the furnishings were generous. I did not see any high chairs or booster chairs, but we managed with the bench style seating for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words. Each and every one of our happy guests are appreciated! Our F&B manager takes a lot of pride in the coffee we brew and he makes sure its always flowing. I'll pass along your compliments to him.

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed at the Kendall numerous times over the past 2 years. It was always exceeded my expectations. The location is great, as it is located within 1 block of the T stop. I fly into Boston Logan airport and take the T to the Kendall. The entire round trip cost to/from the airport is only $2.50. The buffet breakfast in the morning is included with the price of your room and has a variety of hot and cold items from which to choose. I also eat dinner in the restaurant and have never been disappointed. As I checked in for my most recent stay, I was informed that I had been upgraded to the one bedroom suite! It has a full kitchen, living room and separate bedroom and bathroom. It was a very relaxing stay! I also ate dinner at the "Black Sheep" restaurant. The sea bass was delicious. I usually travel to Boston by myself and feel that the Kendall Hotel is a "home away from home".

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hello Tammy:

Thank you very much for sharing your Kendall experiences -- when I saw your name on our arrivals listing, I was thrilled that I was able to upgrade you to one of our luxury suites -- something I try to do to our repeat guests. A home away from home is what The Kendall strives to provide, so I'm ecstatic to hear that is what you experienced! The chef of the hotel's restaurant, The Black Sheep, prides herself on selecting the freshest, finest fish she can find, and preparing it in sophisticated, yet simple, ways. Glad you enjoyed the food and this recent stay - hope to see you on your next visit.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful historic hotel. Great location at the MIT campus with easy and close access to the Kendall T station. Very good breakfast buffet. Rooms and overall very clean. My only issue was with the sitting availability during breakfast as the space is small. We would definitely stay again!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Daisy A
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, Daisy. The Kendall's location is ideal for people in town for both business and pleasure. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast buffet. Hope to see you again soon.

My best,
Brenda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
InterContinental Boston
Four Seasons Hotel Boston
Boston Marriott Cambridge
#9 of 20 in Cambridge

Been to Kendall Hotel? Share your experiences!