“A Boutique Hotel, if it is to your taste” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kendall Hotel

Kendall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“A Boutique Hotel, if it is to your taste”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Quite well located, with an old world charm, this hotel however did not quite appeal to me. Pretty small rooms and the restaurant is also quite tiny. However, the management must be complemented for sticking to the heritage appeal of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Krishna D
Brenda A, General Manager at Kendall Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
I'm sorry that The Kendall was not too your liking. All of our room are different; the standard queen being our smallest but to many of our guests preference -- they are located in the original fire-station and once were the firemen’s dorms. Our deluxe rooms – the majority of rooms in the hotel, are over-sized. I hope you will stay with us again and reserve the larger deluxe room category. Thank you for recognizing our commitment to preserving the building’s historic past.

My best,
Brenda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beachwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at The Kendall July 25-27. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. If you enjoy boutique hotels over chains, I highly recommend The Kendall. From the call to reserve the room to the morning we checked out, the staff was ultra professional, efficient and super friendly. We had a very late arrival, approximately 1:30 am but there was no problem accomodating us. We even received a complimentary upgrade to a King room (had booked a Queen) upon check in! The lobby gives a beautiful first impression, combining Colonial repro antiques, a Fire Department theme and edgy folk art. The clock is amazing. There is a quick elevator ride to our floor and our room was ten steps away. This is not a large hotel but the room was quite sizable, especially for an historic building. There are more antiques in the hallways. Our floor (2nd) had a display cabinet filled with men's hats and shaving memorabilia, straight razors, brushes and shaving cream cups.

Inside the room, there is more than enough drawer space in 2 dressers, a large closet with iron/board, a large desk, 2 wood chairs and one upholstered chair. One dresser is positioned as a nightstand and there is another nightstand for the other occupant. The cost of the wireless is included as an additional charge and we had absolutely no problem logging on and using the internet. I don't recall there being any HBO. Hmm. The bathroom had a large cabinet to store toiletries, a beautiful white pedestal sink and a plastictub/shower combo. The tub surprised me because everything else was so beautifully designed. There was a very large showerhead but the water pressure was just so-so. Also the hot water was super hot. So hot I had to warn my wife to be careful. The room was quiet, we never heard other patrons talking or flushing or television as you sometimes do in other hotels.

Every morning the hotel offers a serve yourself, buffet breakfast downstairs. We had absolutely no complaints about the breakfast. The two days we were there the offerings were: scrambled eggs, french toast, pancakes, sausage and bacon, oatmeal, muesli, fresh and dried fruit, hard boiled eggs, cold cereal, bread for toast, scones and pastries. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, OJ and pink grapefruit juice. Everything was hot and refreshed quickly. There was ample seating, and in nice weather they open the doors and put a couple tables on the sidewalk or there is a small patio on the side also. Over all very nice and a money saver in an expensive town.

The parking was an extra $25.00 per night. We considered it a bargain as finding street parking can be difficult. Some hotels in Boston proper charge as much as $50 per night for parking. The parking is an underground garage below the hotel and there is an elevator to the hotel. The turn down to parking is super tight but I had no issues with my almost full size car.

The Kendall is literally located about 50 steps from the entrance to the T, Boston's subway system. This is the Red Line. To get to the North End, Harbor, etc you have to transfer a couple times to Blue Line and Green Line. The trains were clean, safe and easy to navigate.

Overall, we had a quite enjoyable stay and would not hesitate to return. TripAdvisor was spot on, this is a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
3 Thank sgruver1
Thank you for your recommendation. The Kendall is designed to be an oasis from the hectic urban surroundings. A home away from home is what we strive to provide, and it sounds as if that is exactly what you experienced. We do our best to ensure a tranquil and quiet stay.Glad you enjoyed the breakfast, and I am currently looking into whether there were any issues with the shower in your room.

Cheers!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was very excited to stay in this hotel after reading all the raves. Unfortunately I don't like "quaint" and "charming" after all. Our room was very small and in two sections: one with three windows and one with none. The bedroom part had the windows, and the bed and pillows were comfortable. The space was so small that I felt uncomfortable. There was a heavy quilt on he foot of the bed in addition to a quilt of some sort between two bed sheets--way to much for the warm weather and no where to store the, but the floor. The bathroom had only one light and here was no space to put toiletries given that a small glass shelf leaned so badly that things slipped off within a few seconds. There was no towel bar near the sink, nor was there a courtesy hook for any clothes or towels near the shower.

The closet space was small, but there were a reasonable of hangers available. There was a small dresser but the drawers were very difficult to open. We had a very small couch and a dining room-type chair in the dark room--no work station at all.

Breakfast was OK--it was served cafeteria style in one room and eaten on their restaurant, which also has outdoor seating, weather permitting. When the outdoor section was not open, the restaurant space was not large enough to accommodate everyone.

The room was clean and quaint and charming, but was not a comfortable space for me.

Room Tip: Do not get a room in the tower
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brenda A, General Manager at Kendall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Part of the charm of The Kendall is that every room is different. The family behind the Kendall took the time to personally design and appoint each and every room. All the quilts and blankets were hand selected, and are placed in every room, regardless of the season, to give options to all preferences. We offer a few different room types and several different rate packages. Your room was a Queen room, our smallest room type, that was in the Historic section-located in the Victorian Firehouse section of the building. Some people cherish the Historic rooms and request them whenever they stay. Others, like yourself, might not find them as charming as some of the other rooms available. For those who prefer more space, our deluxe king rooms are in our new tower and offer very ample space

The breakfast is served buffet style, and trays are offered if guests would prefer to take their breakfast up to their room. I am sorry that your room was not to your liking, but I am sure that if you give us another chance that we can find a room to your liking – and please ensure you reserve the deluxe king room type.

Kindest regards,
West Hollywood, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I say "among the best" because I think Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons are great hotels too. This is what I like about The Kendall:

- Friendly and super helpful staff
- Nice/comfortable/clean rooms
- The lobby (and the background music selection there)
- The Black Sheep Restaurant
- Complimentary breakfast
- Free WiFi
- Convenient location
- Interior design
- Their competitive pricing

I have stayed at The Kendall many times, alone and otherwise, and will do so again unless there is no vacancy (which has happened to me a few times as well). Book early!!

P.S. At the Black Sheep, try their New England Cheeses appetizer -- YUMMY

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MrRDF
Thank you for your kind words. One of the owners of the Kendall spent 3 weeks creating a playlist of over 600 songs for our lobby music. I'm sure she is going to enjoy hearing that all her time was well spent. I will also pass along your compliments to our chef.

Please do reach out to me next time you are in town, (if we show we are sold out, please call me, I sometimes keep aside a few rooms for our repeat guests) I would very much like to extend an upgrade to one of our luxury suites.

Cheers!
brenda@kendallhotel.com
North Bend, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed here 3 nights in May 2014. Tuesday and returned Sunday/Monday. They had a welcome back basket for us in our room when we returned-very much appreciated and thoughtful. We took a red eye to Boston and my husband was beyond exhausted. They couldn't promise us an early check-in but said they would try. Two hours later, they called and we were checked in by 12 pm EST. The attention to details and the "small stuff" were spot on! Keep up the good work

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy K
Being surrounded by MIT and Microsoft, to name just a few, The Kendall's location makes it a popular stop for people from all corners of the globe. We understand this and do our very best to make all of our weary travelers as comfortable as possible. We know that is is the little things that make people feel welcome and at home. Thank you for staying with us!

Cheers,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed at the Kendall back in March 2014 for business and when I returned to Boston, this time for vacation, I made sure to return to this hotel. Once again I found my stay to be impeccable and the hotel also has made a few subtle yet enhancing updates since my last stay. They added a lighted awning around the reception desk that adds a touch of ambiance and the new elevator is beautiful! The staff was amazing as always and they remembered me from my last stay as well... it was like being welcomed by old friends =)

Keep it up, Kendall, I'll see you again soon!

Room Tip: Each room is unique - ask for a higher floor if you are a light sleeper and are worried that the sub...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was in town with my two children, for a visit to MIT. I chose the hotel because of the reasonable rate for the area, the location, and the good reviews. We showed up a couple hours prior to check-in time, but our room was ready. It was spacious, beautifully decorated, and very comfortable. It was surprisingly quiet at night, considering the city location, and I had a wonderful night's sleep. The breakfast was wonderful-great variety, fresh food, and delicious. The hotel, with the breakfast, was a great bargain. We stored our bags to take the school tour, and it was a breeze to get to the train station to go home. We had a wonderful visit to Cambridge, and if my daughter goes to school there, for sure, the Kendall will be my first choice to stay during visits.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Dear Sharon:

Thank you for sharing your experience - I like to think that The Kendall provides the experience of being in a booming technological/academic sector, right across the river from the great city of Boston, while giving our guests the feeling of staying in a small town Bed and Breakfast. It sounds like you feel the same way. I wish your daughter the best of luck with the application process, and I hope to see y'all again soon.

My best,
Brenda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
#5 of 83 in Boston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,232 reviews
Boston Marriott Cambridge
#7 of 20 in Cambridge

Been to Kendall Hotel? Share your experiences!