“Easy access to Boston and MIT”

Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersGold level
seattle
“Easy access to Boston and MIT”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Kimpton has become my hotel chain of choice almost everywhere I travel in the US. My first stay at the Marlowe reconfirmed once again my preference. Great location for business in Boston, easy access to the Mass Pike via Memorial Drive. Comfortable, clean room--very quiet on inside courtyard view.

Room Tip: Rooms with courtyard view are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Kimberly Z, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear bruceww,

Can I tell you, Kimpton Nation is honored to have such a happy and loyal guest! Thank you for giving us the opportunity to impress. We can't wait to see you again (where ever you go)!

Happy Travels,
Kimberly Zalanskas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
Wrenshall, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed at the Marlowe for 2 nights during a recent vacation/conference trip to Boston. I recently discovered Kimpton hotels and really appreciate their quirkiness, sense of humor and attention to customer service. We had a delightful stay, staff was efficient and friendly & the room was very comfortable. This hotel is located close to the Lechmere T station, so getting into and around Boston is very convenient. One of the coolest things about the Marlowe is they have complimentary bikes and kayaks for the use of their guests. My son and I went kayaking on the Charles river one morning - a totally unexpected treat for an urban vacation. I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank So Many Places, So Little Time
, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear So Many Places, So Little Time,

Quirky is our middle name! :)

It's always fun to be a little different from the pack and we're so happy that you noticed. We're also glad that you've decided to become a part of the Kimpton family. We can't wait to see you around the rest of the country! I can't guarantee that all of them will offer those awesome kayaks, but I'm sure they'll have something... Unexpected (in a good way :)).

Safe Travels,
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Quality hotel of the Kimpton family of hotels. As expected, top notch service, rooms, and staff.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear GL726,

Short, sweet and to the point. I like it! Can't wait to see you again!

All the best,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Everything was excellent. I was perfectly fine with paying more than $200 to stay for just one night because I noticed that the hotel was worth it from reading reviews and looking at pictures. I told myself that I would recommend it to just anyone looking for a place to stay around the Cambridge area. This was true until I checked my bank statement the same day I checked out and realized that I was being charged an amount that I wasn't recognizing. I called in and spoke to Chris, not sure if that's the correct spelling of his name. He told me that I was being charged for using the mini-bar (a drawer that says "treat yourself"). I told him that I never knew that I would be charged for it, and that if that was so then I would've never touched it. He even told me that the drawer itself had a menu on top stating the prices. I promise you that this wasn't the case for me. Then he stated that somewhere in the room, there was a menu. But how are we customers supposed to see this unless we are directed to it? No where in the drawer did it say that I was going to be charged for it or that there was even a menu with the prices in the room. Bottom line is that I thought everything was going to be "free" taking into account that I was paying a very high price for a simple night stay. So I utilized a bunch of stuff thinking that it was complimentary.

Also the service isn't all that great. I checked out 3 days ago, and my credit card shows every single transaction as If I was already charged. However, when I call in they aren't capable of telling me what I am being charged for, etc. They keep telling me to call a few hours later, as if I have nothing to do all day. It's driving me crazy.

My honest opinion: If you want a nice room with friendly staff and great room service then pick this hotel. If you want to avoid having to call for being charged wrong amount, etc., then simply keep looking.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vivi f
Michal P, Hotel Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear vivi f,

I appreciate your great comments about the staff (for the most part) and your overall experience. I am, however, sorry for the hassle you had to go through with your credit card charges.

We do in fact charge for the minibar items - as you were told, the price list should have been on top of the minibar as well as it should have been on the red board that hangs in the entrance of the room. It sounds like both price lists were missing. I will follow up with the team to make sure the lists are always present on the minibar and on the board so that situations such as this do not happen again.

I will also follow up with the team regarding the not being able to tell you what the charges were and to call back later...not cool!

Thank you for sharing your experience,
Michal
Addis, Louisiana
Reviewed 10 July 2012

All in all it was a great trip but my frequent hotel in Boston was sold out for the week so I booked in at the Marlowe in Cambridge. I gave it a 4 because of its location.

First of all if you are like me I take the subway all around Boston most of the time. The closest T from the Marlowe was about a 7-8 minute walk to go back into downtown and If you wanted to go to Harvard or further north it was a good 20 minute walk from the hotel.

There is a shopping mall connected to the hotel. It has all kinds of great stores. It also has a California Pizza Kitchen and a Cheesecake Factory. Other than the mall there wasn't a whole lot that a young couple were interested in doing in close walking distance from the hotel.

The bed in the room was very comfortable, the room was kept up and I didn't see any signs of neglect or problems with the walls, plumbing, dirty carpet, etc. Very clean and comfy.

Also with Kimpton there is wine hour from 5-6. This is usually very festive and a lot of people show up. The few days we were there for wine hour not to many people showed up and the woman pouring the wine was very rude.

I spent majority of my time in the North End, Fenway, or Back Bay. There is just not a lot to do in Cambridge. I will not stay at this hotel again just because of its location. This was my 4th time to Boston and the first time I've stayed out of the city. Never again though.

Room Tip: Stay in a high floor and use cabs and the T to get around to downtown.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BayouGuy4036
Dear BayouGuy4036,

Thanks for trying us out. Sorry the location wasn't quite what you were hoping for, but we're glad to know that you made your way around OK.

Maybe next time you can try out our other Boston locations by North Station or Downtown Crossing.

Happy Travels,
Montreal
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel wasn't bad overall. When I travel, I like to stay in really modern and renovated hotels, however the prices in Boston are exorbitant so my friend and I settled on the Kimpton Marlowe because it was best value for 200$ a night.

The good points: mattress was comfortable, staff was friendly, free glass of wine in the evening, relatively cheap parking in the basement (20$ a night), close to Boston, pretty good value for the money.

Wasn't so crazy about: the decor- it was a bit tacky and outdated. Not as nice as the professional photos on the website. Although the room was fairly clean, my headboard was stained (and clearly couldn't be removed) and my friend found a bit dust on the pillow. The bathroom was clean but kind of outdated as well. What really bothered me about the room is that the windows didn't open, not even a bit. There was a smell in the room that couldn't be removed as a result. It just didn't feel "fresh" in the halls. Also, we asked for a room with two queen beds but got stuck on a floor that allowed pets. Book way in advance to prevent this happening to you (although the sound proofing was actually not bad).

I think if I were to return to Boston I would stay at another hotel as there are many modern, well rated hotels in the city (albeit for at least 50-75$ more a night).

Room Tip: you have to pay extra to get a room with a view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Guest Relations Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear eclipze006,

I'm sorry there were parts of your stay that weren't to your satisfaction, but thank you for seeing the silver lining in regards to the mattress, staff and complimentary wine.

We have two other Kimpton locations in Boston, both of which are located in downtown. Maybe next time you could give one of those a chance. :)

All the best,
Connecticut, USA
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I am a fan of Kimpton hotels. Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge is an exception. From the configuration of the building (most of the rooms face a small courtyard) to poor sound insulation (did we leave a radio on?- no that is the tv from the room next door) to the worst scrambled eggs in a buffet that I have ever experienced, this is not a very good hotel. Yes the staff tries hard to be friendly, the lobby is attractive and the shower head good- but there are many better choices in the Boston-Cambridge area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the courtyard- good luck.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Wow! I'm so sorry you are not a fan of ours! It's great to hear you love Kimptons but not so great you don't love us...

You are correct in that some of our rooms face the courtyard and when we are fully booked, it is tough to give our guests complimentary upgrades to our view rooms. We try our best though, I promise!

I will share your egg comment with our Restaurant GM, not sure what happened there but he will definitely look in to it.

I hope you choose to return to us so we can prove to you that we are better than what you describe.

Michal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Royal Sonesta Boston
Lenox Hotel
Lenox Hotel
#6 of 83 in Boston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,266 reviews

Been to Kimpton Marlowe Hotel? Share your experiences!