“Sweet boutique hotel in east Cambridge, near Lechmere”

Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 March 2009

We stayed 3 nights at the Marlowe Hotel while visiting colleges in Boston. We loved the location next door to a nice shopping mall and a 5mn walk to the Lechmere T-station. The room was nice and very comfortable. We had a wonderful view over the Charles river and the museum of science and Boston. The mall has a Cheesecake Factory and California Pizza Kitchen (plus a food court) and there are a couple of good restaurants within 5-10mn walk. We had great Thai food at Similans on 1st street, and there's also a popular Afghan restaurant next door. The staff at Marlowe was helpful and friendly. Note that it's a long walk to MIT (we took the cab as it was freezing).

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2009

Dear heiranig,
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hotel Marlowe! It looks like the location and the friendly staff helped to make your stay very enjoyable. We appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 8 March 2009

I loved my stay at Hotel Marlowe. Pet friendly was key for me! A friend of mine recommended it, as she had stayed there with her dog and loved it. The guys at the front desk were so friendly and accomodating with us. They loved Mina, our French Bulldog, and made sure she was taken care of while I was at my meeting.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone, especially anyone traveling with a pet!!! Also, the location is great...the Galleria is just around the corner and the river view is terrific.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2009

So, I pull into the circular driveway after a long drive in foul weather, and I am met at the front by the doorman with a heartfelt welcome and directions to the front desk. At thr front desk, I was greeted by Emilie, who, again, was warm and welcoming (see the pattern developing??) She took care of a slightly complicated reservation, and I was on my way to the room in minutes, after a complete explanation of the amenities of the hotel and the surrounding location.
The room. It was exactly as requested. Free internet (pay attention, big fancy chains) a large flat screen TV, an Ipod docking station, and a gigantic window overlooking the courtyard. The shower was hot, the towels fluffy, and the beding was top notch. It was a shame I had to leave the room at all.
Did not order room service, but did walk next door to the mall for a meal. Brief walk through the parking garage and into the Galleria Mall..something for everyone.

At checkout, I did not have some required paperwork, but was able to resolve it with the help of Justin and Keith at the Concierge desk. No eye rolls or big sighs like what is common at other hotels when you ask for something~~ everyone at the Marlowe is truly interested in making sure your stay is what you need it to be, and will go to any length necessary to make it happen.

Will stay here again as soon as the opportunity presents itself, and will definitely look at other kimpton properties when traveling elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chiefy
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2009

Dear Chiefy,
Thank you for your review of the Hotel Marlowe! I can see you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm glad you found the room comfortable and that the staff made you feel at home. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to Emilie, Keith, and Justin. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 January 2009

Excellent hotel, great condition, close to downtown Boston, pleasant staff, always has cabs available, hard to find something negaive to say. Rooms were spacious and well furnished, free wifi Internet, room service was fast (20 minutes) and good, no bililng errors on departure, I will defintely book here again. Try easyclicktravel for rates on this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2009

Dear guest,
I want to thank you for reviewing your stay with us at the Hotel Marlowe. I'm glad to see you enjoyed the amenities we offer, and we certainly hope you'll choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 26 January 2009

We loved the room and especially loved the view of the city of Boston from the top floor(8th) of this hotel as we were right next to the Charles River. The room is very spacious and well designed. The only problem that I had was with the front desk and their "Default" hotel policy regarding incidentals. They charge almost the full price of the room, just in case you decide to use the Mini-bar. They have a business center, but the computers are not reliable as they give you the option of using a MAC or Windows with the first 15 min free, but they will charge you $20 as soon as you swipe your card, which you have to do to activate the system. The internet is really slow and not reliable in the room, I think that is why it is free. The front desk will tell you that the "hold" on your card will go away as soon as your bank releases it, but I talked with my bank and the hold is determined by when the hotel processes their credit card transactions, not the banks. With those issues aside, I would stay there again because the overall experience was amazing!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2009

This was my first trip to Boston and I need a place to stay in Cambridge. I had no trouble arriving since I took the subway and it was a short walk.

The front desk had trouble charging me card but I told the person that I had only the total amount (I was staying for 2 nights) and will not be using any services which the deposit is for. The manager took care of it and checked me in. The room was absolutely beautiful but I didn't care for the leopard print. The mall is right next to it so that was convenience for me and they had a business center that I used to check in for my flight.

A week later, I did a survey and the hotel manager got it and credit me back for something in the bar. I brought some water but was overcharged. It wasn't a big deal and I didn't mind paying for it but he saw the mistake and took care of it for me.

Excellent Service!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2009

Dear cindel25,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hotel Marlowe. I'm happy to see that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found the room comfortable and the location convenient. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 14 January 2009

My boyfriend and I decided to go to Boston for New Year's and we stayed at the Hotel Marlowe from 12/30 to 1/4. We had read all the great reviews and the price was right so we decided to give the hotel a chance. We took the Chinatown bus to Boston and the ride took about 5 1/2 hours. The bus dropped us off at South Station and from there we took a short cab ride to the hotel. When we stepped into the hotel, it looked beautiful. The colors were really warm and rich. The people working the front desk were really nice and check-in was fast.

We got a room on the 5th floor. The room was very nicely laid out and the whole animal print thing wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The room was big and there was a lot of room to move around. There was a large flat screen tv and two cushiony chairs as well as a writing desk with chair. The mini bar is under lock and key (I mean they give you a key to unlock it if you want something) which is a good thing if you have small kids who might help themselves to a little something when you're not looking.

The bathroom was also very nicely laid out and there was a good amount of counter space to put your toiletries. The shower was a tub/shower combo. The toiletries were high end L'Occitane shampoo, conditioner and body lotions. The closet was also nice. Overall, the room was great but it could have been just a little better. For example, there could have been more of a dresser to put your clothes in. There were 2 or 3 drawers as part of the tv stand but an actual dresser would have been better so that I didn't have to live out of my duffle bag. It was managable though.

Also, we're both not sure what was going on but the hotel needs to do something about providing hot water. It was COLD when we were in Boston and whenever we wanted to take a hotl shower (be it in the morning or at night) the water would be ice cold no matter how long you let it run. At times we were forced to take ice cold showers only to have the water finally turn hot for about 5 minutes before turning cold again. Maybe it was the cold outside that froze the pipes or something but we have to admit, that wasn't very comfortable.

The hotel staff was amazing though and everyone was helpful and always nice. We can't commend the employees enough.

The hotel is close to the T (green line) which made our treks into Boston very managable and is also within walking distance to the Museum of Science which was pretty fun. The hotel is attached to the Galleria Mall and guess what - you don't even have to leave the hotel to get to the mall! There is an underground entrance! It was pretty cool and allowed us to leave our coats in the room and just head to the mall. Oh and free coffee and tea in the mornings in the hotel lobby!

We didn't eat out often. Instead the front desk gave us some menus and we ordered in. The Upper Crust pizza was the best pizza we had during our stay. In fact, of all our trips outside of NY, they had the best pizza. We also had Chinese food one night but I forgot the name of the place - the food was pretty good though. On our last night we went out and got some Thai food from a nearby restaurant - The Similans. The food was really good and we recommend it.

Other than that, the hotel really is dog friendly. We saw many cute dogs during our stay. The Hotel Marlowe is a great hotel and if you're thinking of going to Boston, we would definitely recommend this hotel for a stay. Great location and great staff.

P.S. - my boyfriend proposed to me on New Year's Day at the hotel so now he's my fiance! :D

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kendall Hotel
Lenox Hotel
Lenox Hotel
#6 of 84 in Boston
Four Seasons Hotel Boston

Been to Kimpton Marlowe Hotel? Share your experiences!