“It's Okay”

Ranked #6 of 20 Cambridge B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“It's Okay”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The Pros: 1- on site parking, 2- establishment is clean and well maintained, 3- breakfast was pretty good, with fresh fruit, breads, cereals, and pastries - no eggs or meats, 4- the woman at the desk when checking in/out, was warm and friendly and quite helpful
The Cons: 1- our room, in the contemporary wing, was VERY small (however, I did see that others were quite large), 2- location isn't the greatest.......Parker Square is about 5 blocks walking and Harvard Square another 8-10, and Central Square another 8-10....there is very little in the immediate neighborhood, 3- 3pm check-in and 11am check-out, 4- uncomfortable bed and uncooperative a/c
Given the price and miniscule size of our room, I can't give the Inn more than an average rating.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hebrew first
Drogheda
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The first night I arrived the fellow on the desk was very unhelpful and abrupt, in fact, rude. When I left, I asked him if he could call a cab for me, and he said innkeepers weren't allowed to call a cab for customers so I'd have to call me own, which I did, incurring long distance charges from my cell phone.

Because I was on a longish trip I had to go back. The second stay introduced me to a very helpful front desk person, but the room hadn't been cleaned well and there were dead bugs along the baseboard and a spiderweb in the corner. The fellow at the desk put me in a new room right away, and Andrea, the manage gave me a discount. (She's wonderful). However the place needs a good cleaning from top to bottom and certain members of the staff really need a course in customer service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We were in town for 2 days for a baseball game. Our room, while small, was very clean with a private bath. Breakfast was more than adequate. Only a 10 minute walk to the "T". I would highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband and I like to frequent Boston when we can and usually stay in the City proper. However, friends of ours recently moved to Cambridge and we wanted a place close to them so that we could celebrate New Years. The Cambridge House Inn was a compromise of charm and price. The room was comfortable but not anything special, although I must say having a working fireplace in the room was a nice treat in early January. It's a B&B so there is compromise on what would be considered modern amenities i.e. the TV was small and the bathroom equally so. However, the price and location more than make up for any defects in the room: it's a short walk over to Davis Square with plenty of great restaurants, nightlife, and a T Stop which provides access to the City.

Room Tip: I recommend staying in the original 19th Century Building and possibly requesting a room on the back...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoyalHistoryLover
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Picture a classic B&B from the hayday of B&Bs and you can imagine Cambridge House. At least the Victorian part where we stayed. Lots of dark wood, ornate wallpaper and sconces. Twisting stair to our 2nd floor room. The room was small, but made to feel a bit larger by a mirrored wall. Bath was clean and spacious, and all the windows opened for nice cross ventilation. The canopied Queen bed needed the stairs to get in it was so high, but the mattress was very comfortable.
Continental breakfast was plentiful and the staff was quiet but friendly.
As others have said, it is convenient to the T, Harvard, stores and restaurants. One of our favorite spots was Pemberton Farms, immediately across the street. This store is a charming mash-up of a flower nursery, Whole Foods, your favorite deli, and a very diversified liquor store. We visited it twice in 2 days is was such fun.
For the price, Cambridge House is a good deal and we would go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Stamford, CT
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We have stayed here three times, and plan to do so again, The Victorian side is our favorite, partly because of the decor of the rooms (MANY have fireplaces and canopy beds) but also because you can get to the (very cosy)downstairs breakfast room without putting on a coat! With the addition of the boiled eggs, the Continental breakfast becomes a substantial meal - and if you want something that's not on offer, you are free to pick it up at the very nice gourmet grocery across the street and store it in the refrigerator. Most of the staff members are very friendly and helpful; last summer a group of us were there for a wedding, and the staff kindly organized a car service to take one of the late-comers out into the suburbs for the reception. We appreciate the free parking as well as the proximity to the MTA and some very nice restaurants withing walking distance. The beds have been comfortable and we have never had a problem with noise. The bathrooms are slightly cramped and yes, they just have shower stalls. That said, it's an excellelnt value for the location. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GuinivereStamford
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Stayed in a "contemporary" room in the main building, which was nicely decorated, clean, and quite comfortable. The bathroom had only a shower stall (not a problem for me, but might be for others expecting a soaking tub). The morning breakfast was pretty decent (continental plus boiled eggs), and they also have a tray of chocolates and other treats which you can help yourself to in the evenings. The property is a 5 minute walk to the Davis Square Metro station (Red Line), which will take you to Harvard (2 stops) and MIT (4 stops) and all the way to Boston South Station where you can catch the Silver Line to the airport (all in 1 fare). The Inn keepers are friendly and accommodating. I originally booked 2 nights here to attend a conference at MIT, but wasn't able to arrive the 1st night due to transportation difficulties during Hurricane Sandy - and they refunded that night. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Porter Square Hotel
#1 of 20 in Cambridge
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
#3 of 20 in Cambridge

Been to A Cambridge House B & B Inn? Share your experiences!