“Reasonable B&B for Price/Location”

A Cambridge House B & B Inn
Ranked #6 of 20 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Carol Stream, IL
“Reasonable B&B for Price/Location”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Stayed several nights visiting our daughter who lives nearby. We stayed in the "contemporary" building.

The contemporary building was clean and well maintained, but lacked the atmosphere of the main B&B. Our room was quite large and had a balcony. Would have bit nice to have a "comfy" chair to relax in as there was plenty of room for it. Also, the TV is a bit undersized for the room, only a little bigger than a computer monitor. A big positive was that the room was very quiet, considering that the hotel is on Mass Ave. We were in a room on the back side of the building, so I'm not sure if all the rooms are as quiet.

Breakfast was continental style and was well stocked.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the Contemporary building are quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hebrew first
Reggio Emilia, Italy
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Located a few miles from the City center, provided with own car park, this B & B can allow a visit to the City avoiding the heavy traffic and at the same time to Cambridge.
The MBTA underground is close to it, 300 mt not more.
Rooms are reasonably sized, the bathrooms are also large.
The breakfast, fairly complete for american B & B standards, is served in a traditional leaving room.
I recommend to reserve a room in the old building, that is the older part of the building.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bigbang56
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The Pros: 1- on site parking, 2- establishment is clean and well maintained, 3- breakfast was pretty good, with fresh fruit, breads, cereals, and pastries - no eggs or meats, 4- the woman at the desk when checking in/out, was warm and friendly and quite helpful
The Cons: 1- our room, in the contemporary wing, was VERY small (however, I did see that others were quite large), 2- location isn't the greatest.......Parker Square is about 5 blocks walking and Harvard Square another 8-10, and Central Square another 8-10....there is very little in the immediate neighborhood, 3- 3pm check-in and 11am check-out, 4- uncomfortable bed and uncooperative a/c
Given the price and miniscule size of our room, I can't give the Inn more than an average rating.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Drogheda
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The first night I arrived the fellow on the desk was very unhelpful and abrupt, in fact, rude. When I left, I asked him if he could call a cab for me, and he said innkeepers weren't allowed to call a cab for customers so I'd have to call me own, which I did, incurring long distance charges from my cell phone.

Because I was on a longish trip I had to go back. The second stay introduced me to a very helpful front desk person, but the room hadn't been cleaned well and there were dead bugs along the baseboard and a spiderweb in the corner. The fellow at the desk put me in a new room right away, and Andrea, the manage gave me a discount. (She's wonderful). However the place needs a good cleaning from top to bottom and certain members of the staff really need a course in customer service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We were in town for 2 days for a baseball game. Our room, while small, was very clean with a private bath. Breakfast was more than adequate. Only a 10 minute walk to the "T". I would highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband and I like to frequent Boston when we can and usually stay in the City proper. However, friends of ours recently moved to Cambridge and we wanted a place close to them so that we could celebrate New Years. The Cambridge House Inn was a compromise of charm and price. The room was comfortable but not anything special, although I must say having a working fireplace in the room was a nice treat in early January. It's a B&B so there is compromise on what would be considered modern amenities i.e. the TV was small and the bathroom equally so. However, the price and location more than make up for any defects in the room: it's a short walk over to Davis Square with plenty of great restaurants, nightlife, and a T Stop which provides access to the City.

Room Tip: I recommend staying in the original 19th Century Building and possibly requesting a room on the back...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoyalHistoryLover
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Picture a classic B&B from the hayday of B&Bs and you can imagine Cambridge House. At least the Victorian part where we stayed. Lots of dark wood, ornate wallpaper and sconces. Twisting stair to our 2nd floor room. The room was small, but made to feel a bit larger by a mirrored wall. Bath was clean and spacious, and all the windows opened for nice cross ventilation. The canopied Queen bed needed the stairs to get in it was so high, but the mattress was very comfortable.
Continental breakfast was plentiful and the staff was quiet but friendly.
As others have said, it is convenient to the T, Harvard, stores and restaurants. One of our favorite spots was Pemberton Farms, immediately across the street. This store is a charming mash-up of a flower nursery, Whole Foods, your favorite deli, and a very diversified liquor store. We visited it twice in 2 days is was such fun.
For the price, Cambridge House is a good deal and we would go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Porter Square Hotel
#1 of 20 in Cambridge
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
#3 of 20 in Cambridge

Been to A Cambridge House B & B Inn? Share your experiences!