“Disappointing birthday dinner”

Frank's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Frank's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #121 of 642 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Rice
Transit: 77 bus to the front door from Arlington or Harvard. Red Line to Davis Square and 7 minute walk
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Just a year ago June 2013 had a great meal here. We have been coming here for over 20 years
I was so sad that it has changed so much The food use to be great I was hoping they just had an off night Unfortunately that wasnt the case. Went back 2 weeks later and no significant change to warrant a return visit. I will miss the old Franks

1  Thank Roevka

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were surprised by some of the lukewarm reviews this steakhouse has received. We (Brits) visited Frank's twice (23 & 24 July) and had the best sirloin steak we've had in ages. They were cooked to perfection, very tasty and excellent value for money.

1  Thank WeOnlyHadAStarter
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were looking for a steak without having to go to one of the high end guys and spend a fortune. I'm just not into paying all carte for everything. Franks seemed to fit the bill, but not really.

We ordered steaks and I wanted to substitute a wedge salad (which was a special of the day for $4 by itself) for the salad that came with it. Not possible I was told (although the house salad was the same price) even if I agreed to an up charge. So they suggested a Caesar. Well, why not! Right before the salad is delivered I'm told there is a $2 up charge for the Caesar. Hmmmm. This affected both mine and my sons order.

My wife ordered a chicken dish which, according to the menu, was to be accompanied by two sides. (It was an entree, right?). Well when she requested her salad, the waiter told her it was part of the meal itself. Turns out the chicken entree was served on a bed of greens. Isn't that defined as a salad? Nothing else with her "salad" but a few pieces of chicken

Steaks were marginal at best.

I believe franks is a neighborhood institution and people cut them significant slack. I don't live in the area and have no loyalties.

2  Thank Buttstone
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This place has obviously been around for a while and has proved that is has staying power. Probably because it is a very typical steakhouse, serving good beef dishes in a classical way. No surprises and good service. it also has a bar area where you can watch Sox baseball while drinking a beer. Too bad they don't have any local craft beers, only national brands.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

My wife and I enjoy Frank's "Early Bird Specials" every few weeks. Up until the last two visits in May, we were very happy with the service, the food, and the value. We no longer feel that way.

Recently we took our family to dinner. The waiter was clearly new and was not properly trained. He was confused as to what soups were offered - corn chowder or french onion were the options. He then came back to tell us that there was no corn chowder and, when the bill was presented, he charge extra for french onion as it wasn't an option on the early bird.

It took over 45 minutes for our food to arrive. Our son is a kitchen manager in a large chain and he was in awe of how bad the service and food was. We agreed.

That's the last $100 we spend at Frank's.

Glenn