“A birthday surprise and a wonderful dinner”
Review of Cafe Sushi

Cafe Sushi
Ranked #57 of 629 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wilmington, Massachusetts
“A birthday surprise and a wonderful dinner”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Last night, my wife was treating me to a birthday dinner at the restaurant of my choice. My son, had visited a place called the Sushi Cafe on Mass Ave in Cambridge and I saw one of his reviews and was curious. I happen to like sushi so I thought this might be a great place to try. Well, when I started investigating I started to realize that parking on Mass Ave would be difficult at best. So I kind of put that place aside and started thinking about some other possibilities. To encourage me to go, my son called me and told me to order the Omakase which is 5 course chef's choice sushi dinner with a sampling of many different sushi offerings. He warned me it wasn't cheap. He told me the waiter would explain each type of sushi as he brought it out so I would know what I was getting. I was very interested but still not too happy about driving into Cambridge.

My wife came home from work and told me that we should just drive into Boston, park at the underground garage and take a cab to Cambridge. We could have also taken the red line too. So that's what we did. It turns out that my sense of direction is terrible and if we had taken the subway we would have ended up on the wrong side of Harvard Square looking for the restaurant which would have been blocks away. So it was a good thing we took the cab.

We got to the restaurant with 5 minutes to spare (I made reservations). When we were seated at a table for 4 (it was available) and the busboy poured water for my wife and I and then started filling the two glasses. I stopped him and said there was only 2.... but my wife chimed in and said there would be two more... then she surprised me by telling me son and daughter in law would be there. In fact, I turned and looked toward the door at that second and there they were.

We pretty much all had Miso soup. The girls are not great sushi fans so they ordered lighter fare. My wife had Teriyaki Bento ($19) with salmon (cooked) and shumai (shrimp dumplings), seaweed salad, steamed rice, Japanese pickles and some California rolls. My daughter in law had a mix of light sushi (mostly rolled in rice and seaweed). My son and I did the Omakase (market priced yesterday at $85 each), We both shared warm saki ($14 for 7 oz,) and two types of cold saki ($32 and $36 for 300 ml).

Omakase has the non-traditional sushi offerings. The offerings included Salmon roe, monkfish liver (like a pate), maine sea urchin, amberjack, Japanese baracuda, scallops, bonito, mackerel, salmon belly. All were extremely fresh and not "fishy" tasting at all. All were presented beautifully in 5 servings of 3 to 7 pieces. What you didn't get are the spicy tunas and unagi (eel) that most people order at sushi restaurants. I liked every one of the offerings. Some had a very mild flavor which were accented by sauces created by the chef. Some of the others had a stronger flavor (not disagreeable) and I found I liked those best. I skipped the soy sauce and wasabi and let the dishes stand on their own. I did clear my palate with pickled ginger and occasionally a touch of wasabi.

We had warm saki and two types of cold saki with the Omakase.

Not a cheap dinner, but it was great. Sushi lovers should give this place a try and go for the Omakase even though it is expensive. You can get by with a lot cheaper items, but if you want some adventure, do the Omakase. I was extremely surprised and pleased to see my son and daughter in law at dinner last night.... a great birthday surprise.

The restaurant is not at all fancy but it was very clean. Service was perfect.

1 Thank c2h5oh_1

• Chinese (Traditional) first
USA
“Lot of food for $$”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Lunched at Cafe Sushi. It was nearly empty at 1PM, perhaps because it was MLK day. Restaurant is quite large and open. Sushi bar was expansive.

Ordered the Sushi Bento. Comes with salad, miso, and a bowl of rice. Loved the salad. Guessing the dressing is composed of high acidity vinegar, salt, sugar, ground onion, and oil Delightfully sweet and sour. Miso was a little funky. There was a flavor in it that I couldn't decipher, and I can't describe it other than that it was a little strange, not in a positive way. The bento came with 3 small steamed dumplings, a pinch of seaweed salad, 5 pieces of nigiri sushi, 6 pieces of sashimi, and 6 pieces of crabmeat maki, all for $17. It was quite a bit more than I had expected. fish were fresh, but nothing spectacular. Great value for the money. Next time I would go for higher quality than higher quantity. I believe they also offer the chef's selection sushi. Will go for that.

Would come back.

london
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

After reading all the positive reviews for this restaurant my husband and I decided to check out Cafe sushi. We had flown from San Francisco where the sushi is second to none. I have to say we were most dissapointed with the quality of the food and more so with the service and lack of friendliness with the waiters who did not really care. I would not recommend this resaturant at all.

tbc2008
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best sushi in greater Boston!”
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

We have been going to Cafe Sushi for over 10 years and the quality cannot be beat. Not only is the sushi top quality but the owners and staff are wonderful! Try the omekase at the sushi bar and you will not be disappointed.

• Visited December 2013
Hollis, New Hampshire
“Our favorite sushi in Boston”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

A truly dazzling dining experience. The sushi is prepared with an ability to bring out the taste in ways that left us marveling at every bite. Every single thing we ordered - the fish, the vegetables, the seaweed salad - was exquisitely tuned to evoke delight. We all left singing the praises of this place as one of the best we have enjoyed around the US (our other favorites include Sushi Ota in San Diego, and Sushi Ran in Sausalito - where the owner and head sushi chef started). The service is very friendly, the place unpretentious, and the food marvelous. The prices are very reasonable as well, certainly an outstanding value for the quality. Our favorite in Boston!

• Visited November 2013