“Overpriced, under serviced”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Overpriced, under serviced”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I got a "special" rate for a reunion. $299 per night plus taxes. Plus $45 per day for valet parking. Self-park saves $5 but no in-out. More about that later. Positives easy. Location. Nice-sized room. Attractive lobby (important in a moment). Finished with that.

Negatives? Don't have enough energy for the full list so some highlights, Truly lousy 6 inch sagging mattress . No surfaces in shower/toilet room for personal items and minimal at the vanity. No refrigerator or minibar - whether you use it or not. No grab bars in tubs ( outrageous, not because of overtly disabled but the aging population especially when traveling and drinking are at risk. Irresponsible.) Towels rationed to two skimpy bath, face and wash cloths. One bar of soap to share between shower and sink. For two days, we couldn't find the hair dryer. We managed, tired of complaining. Eventually, we dropped something in front of the sink cubbies, now emptied of towels. Behold, hair dryer behind the sparse towel stash. The reason the pleasant lob by is important is that they gouge you for $12.50 a day for wi-fi in the room. Probably because so many guests are business or academic folks on expense accounts. (Irrelevant, because each payer for these expenses passes some of it indirectly on to the public.). Parking especially pushed my button. I invested in valet because I was uncertain about my needs and I didn't feel comfortable about late walking.

In the end, I requested my car twice. The first, I gave 10 minutes notice, appeared at 15, but my car wasn't delivered until 30. On departure, I called with a time and then, before leaving my room, confirmed. When I arrived, the mini-van belonging to some lovely family was waiting for me. Not interested in car seats, I did a remedial on numerals and sent them back to get my adult car.

I'm tired of this. If you have to be at an MIT seminar, go there. If value means nothing, okay. Otherwise there are a lot of better places to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Alan S, General Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Steve E,

Thank you for your review of May 30th. I am very sorry that you didn't have a great experience at our hotel and I regret that we did not meet your expectations. I appreciate your observations regarding the room layout and amenities and will be sure to incorporate them into our future renovation plans.

Please be assured that I have followed up with our valet team and appropriate steps have been taken to ensure that future guests do not share a similar experience.

I would be glad to speak with you directly if you have any additional concerns or observations. Thank you again for alerting me to these issues.

Best Regards,

Alan S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located at Kendall T station in Cambridge.
It is perfect for visiting MIT and only a short train ride to the heart of Boston.

The rooms were large and clean. The staff were very friendly and the free guest laundry was very handy.

The only downside was that there was a charge for in room wifi. There was free wifi in the lobby though.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The best location for a trolley ride or trip on the "T" over the water to Boston. Rooms are comfortable with a nice view of the city. The staff was friendly & helpful. The concierge was knowledgeable. You can get tickets for the Boston Trolley right in the hotel & the "T" is out the back door! We asked for a microwave and one was brought right up. No fridge in our room, but plenty other amenities. Convenient location and close to everything.

Room Tip: Parking garage before hotel. Be sure to request microwave or fridge with reservation. We had a corne...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was in Boston for a wedding, and a special rate had been arranged at the Marriott Cambridge. The hotel was exactly as I expected; spacious, comfortable, rooms, good service, a decent restaurant/bar adjoining, and pleasant decor. I was only slightly surprised to find that WiFi in the guest rooms wasn't free; however, there was good, fast, free access in the surprisingly comfortable lobby area. There was a small pool, and a well-equipped fitness room.

The real bonus is the location; a pleasant 30-minute walk to downtown Boston if the weather's good, and a 10-minute journey on the T if it isn't. The station couldn't be any closer to the hotel!

Would I stay here again? Yes, if I could get a special rate. The standard room-rates seemed a little pricey. However, Boston and Cambridge are expensive places to stay, and it would be hard to find anywhere so well-located for much cheaper; the question is, how much of a premium are you willing to pay for the convenience?

Room Tip: Higher-up is better! Some lovely views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Sebastian, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Convenient location at the Kendall Square T station, right at MIT. Pleasant walk to Newbury Street shopping, the Science Museum or the Museum of Fine Arts. Bed was comfortable, room was attractive, service very good. At full price it's expensive. Great for business or a getaway weekend. Don't miss the MIT Museum nearby.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a good view of Boston.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 May 2014

First time travelling to Boston on business and workshop and decided to stay at the Marriott on advise from the organizers as it was the closest hotel. Now that I know the city a little more, would definitely not choose to stay at the hotel again. Nothing particularly wrong with the service but for the price you are paying, its just not worth it.
- Their check in desk seems to be understaffed. At anytime there only seemed to be only one person manning the desk.
- No free internet.... I mean come on... 500 USD per night and no free wifi? A 150 USD Holiday Inn Express has free wifi. I travel quite a lot and I can't remember the last time I was asked to pay for internet
- No safe in the room. Not totally inconvenient but I guess they forgot to install one in my room?

Generally unimpressed...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Alan S, General Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Mejoyh:

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Boston Marriott Cambridge. I was disappointed to learn that you did not find the hotel to be a good value compared to other lodging options. Our close proximity to MIT, the Red Line subway and other Kendall Square businesses is very convenient and we strive to offer competitive rates. We do offer free internet in all of our public spaces along with packages that include internet in the rate. I regret if these were not available when you booked. Your experience at check in was not the norm, and I will be sure to follow up with our front desk manager. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have additional questions or concerns.

Alan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Boston Marriott Cambridge is a wonderful full-service hotel with all the amenities you come to expect from this brand. There was a small renovation of the decor near the elevators during my stay but nothing to impact the movement of guests in the lobby area. The staff was extremely friendly, rooms were spotless, and upon arrival the front desk upgraded my room to the club floor. The Concierge Lounge is available to club guests and I found it to be accessible from the 24th and 25th floors. My room was extremely quiet, fully accessorized for the business traveler, and the housekeeping staff were constantly attentive. During my stay the General Manager held a small reception for club floor guests in the presidential suite that was very nice! The hotel has multiple restaurants, Starbucks, and there are other dining options just outside the hotel within walking distance. The Kendall Metro Underground Station is just opposite to the hotel that makes the city of Boston very accessible. I enjoyed my week in Cambridge and if you are looking for a great place to stay when you are in this area, look here!

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice on the upper floors.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business