“Boston Marriott Cambridge” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rutland, Vermont, United States
“Boston Marriott Cambridge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Location..location..location. The T-station is directly outside of the door. So easy to take the T into the heart of Boston. It is also a beautiful walk along the Charles River. Perfect location for a stroll to Harvard Square. Our room was good size and we had corner view. It was very clean. I would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Coming from the midwest to Boston for the first time for my son's graduation, I didn't know what to expect. Wow, was I pleasantly surprised! Everyone - even those with Boston accents :) - was extremely helpful and over the top courteous. Raphaela (sorry if I botched the spelling) and Mike were outstanding! Rooms were very nice and clean, of course, and the beds were very comfortable. When we needed something extra - shampoo, pillows, blankets (I know, high maintenance), etc. - we just called down to the lobby and it was brought up within a couple of minutes. They are really on top of their game here! Even the service, not to mention the food, at the in-house restaurant was excellent.

We did not get a car because the valet price was too high for us, but the "T" is right outside the door! It was very safe and convenient, getting us everywhere we needed to go, including Fenway Park to see the Red Sox. I wouldn't want to have to ride it every day, but it's kind of fun with a group on vacation. It's a little confusing, but the locals were great helping us out. We took the T from the airport to avoid rush hour, but we took a taxi back to the airport on Saturday because it was the faster option.

Room Tip: There are great views from this hotel in all directions. Obviously, the higher the floor, the bette...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I got a "special" rate for a reunion. $299 per night plus taxes. Plus $45 per day for valet parking. Self-park saves $5 but no in-out. More about that later. Positives easy. Location. Nice-sized room. Attractive lobby (important in a moment). Finished with that.

Negatives? Don't have enough energy for the full list so some highlights, Truly lousy 6 inch sagging mattress . No surfaces in shower/toilet room for personal items and minimal at the vanity. No refrigerator or minibar - whether you use it or not. No grab bars in tubs ( outrageous, not because of overtly disabled but the aging population especially when traveling and drinking are at risk. Irresponsible.) Towels rationed to two skimpy bath, face and wash cloths. One bar of soap to share between shower and sink. For two days, we couldn't find the hair dryer. We managed, tired of complaining. Eventually, we dropped something in front of the sink cubbies, now emptied of towels. Behold, hair dryer behind the sparse towel stash. The reason the pleasant lob by is important is that they gouge you for $12.50 a day for wi-fi in the room. Probably because so many guests are business or academic folks on expense accounts. (Irrelevant, because each payer for these expenses passes some of it indirectly on to the public.). Parking especially pushed my button. I invested in valet because I was uncertain about my needs and I didn't feel comfortable about late walking.

In the end, I requested my car twice. The first, I gave 10 minutes notice, appeared at 15, but my car wasn't delivered until 30. On departure, I called with a time and then, before leaving my room, confirmed. When I arrived, the mini-van belonging to some lovely family was waiting for me. Not interested in car seats, I did a remedial on numerals and sent them back to get my adult car.

I'm tired of this. If you have to be at an MIT seminar, go there. If value means nothing, okay. Otherwise there are a lot of better places to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Alan S, General Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Steve E,

Thank you for your review of May 30th. I am very sorry that you didn't have a great experience at our hotel and I regret that we did not meet your expectations. I appreciate your observations regarding the room layout and amenities and will be sure to incorporate them into our future renovation plans.

Please be assured that I have followed up with our valet team and appropriate steps have been taken to ensure that future guests do not share a similar experience.

I would be glad to speak with you directly if you have any additional concerns or observations. Thank you again for alerting me to these issues.

Best Regards,

Alan S
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located at Kendall T station in Cambridge.
It is perfect for visiting MIT and only a short train ride to the heart of Boston.

The rooms were large and clean. The staff were very friendly and the free guest laundry was very handy.

The only downside was that there was a charge for in room wifi. There was free wifi in the lobby though.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The best location for a trolley ride or trip on the "T" over the water to Boston. Rooms are comfortable with a nice view of the city. The staff was friendly & helpful. The concierge was knowledgeable. You can get tickets for the Boston Trolley right in the hotel & the "T" is out the back door! We asked for a microwave and one was brought right up. No fridge in our room, but plenty other amenities. Convenient location and close to everything.

Room Tip: Parking garage before hotel. Be sure to request microwave or fridge with reservation. We had a corne...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle-upon-tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was in Boston for a wedding, and a special rate had been arranged at the Marriott Cambridge. The hotel was exactly as I expected; spacious, comfortable, rooms, good service, a decent restaurant/bar adjoining, and pleasant decor. I was only slightly surprised to find that WiFi in the guest rooms wasn't free; however, there was good, fast, free access in the surprisingly comfortable lobby area. There was a small pool, and a well-equipped fitness room.

The real bonus is the location; a pleasant 30-minute walk to downtown Boston if the weather's good, and a 10-minute journey on the T if it isn't. The station couldn't be any closer to the hotel!

Would I stay here again? Yes, if I could get a special rate. The standard room-rates seemed a little pricey. However, Boston and Cambridge are expensive places to stay, and it would be hard to find anywhere so well-located for much cheaper; the question is, how much of a premium are you willing to pay for the convenience?

Room Tip: Higher-up is better! Some lovely views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Sebastian, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Convenient location at the Kendall Square T station, right at MIT. Pleasant walk to Newbury Street shopping, the Science Museum or the Museum of Fine Arts. Bed was comfortable, room was attractive, service very good. At full price it's expensive. Great for business or a getaway weekend. Don't miss the MIT Museum nearby.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a good view of Boston.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family