“GOOD HOTEL, BAD LOCATION”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
“GOOD HOTEL, BAD LOCATION”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The hotel is good, clean, helpful staff. However bad location, far from the city center, no public transportation close to the hotel. Very Poor WIFI. Impossible to connect in the rooms, you have to get out of the room to have hgh quality connection. Very good breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Elif Y
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Elif Y, thank you for your recent review. I am glad to hear that during your stay you enjoyed your dining experience at Zephyr on the Charles as well as the genuine hospitality of the guests. However, I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced as a result of a poor Wi-Fi connection. I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our AV department. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Best, Sarah. qualitybosrc@hyatt.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chardon, Ohio
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Since Boston is a frequent destination, I've stayed at dozens of hotels in and around the city--some very nice, some "notso." Those in or close to the downtown area can be extremely pricey. Boston is a notoriously difficult city to drive in so getting to them can also be a hassle. I hadn't stayed at this Hyatt hotel before last summer-figuring it, too, was outrageously expensive, given its location and stunning architecture. And it can be, depending on the time of year. But occasionally you'll find a good room rate. If you do, grab it.

The hotel is located on the Charles River and overlooks the city--giving the visitor a lovely retreat in a very busy metropolitan area. You can walk along the river, watch the sailboats and college crews, take the hotel shuttle to Fenway Park and other interesting spots in Cambridge (where the hotel is located) and Boston. The staff is extremely helpful. There's a fitness facility, pool, good restaurant, etc. so you're not missing any amenities. The major downside is the cost of parking-but alas!-this is Boston where the streets were designed for horses, not cars! And smart residents take the "T."

I've finally found the place I want to stay when I come to the Boston area--that is, if the price is right!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ruth M, thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. I am so glad that not only did you take the time to enjoy the view of the Charles, but also that you had an opportunity to utilize the complimentary shuttle connecting guests to convenient Cambridge locations! We are so glad that we won you over and became your Boston go-to hotel! Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back, soon! Best, Sarah.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My wife and I just really enjoy this hotel. We come to Boston to visit our daughter and have the car with us so we don't mind driving a bit. With that said the location is not walking distance to everything but convenient just the same. Just noticed there is a bus stop right on the corner, will explore that next time. There are so many points you can hit when talking about a hotel but i'll mention a few. Front desk personnel are very cordial and real, the breakfast is among the very best hotel breakfasts we've had, period..the ventilation system in the good-sized room worked flawlessly and is very quiet, shower is very good and control over water temp is excellent. The wallcovering and paint in our 7th floor room looked new, and the fitness center and pool were excellent.We also had a great long walk along the Charles just by stepping out the door of the hotel. Could i find any negatives? Probably, but they would be minor and few. The hotel has been consistently satisfying to us in our three stays here. Much thanks.

Room Tip: higher floor, city view is very nice
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Hello howardjc, Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge and for being a frequent visitor! I am thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience with all aspects of the hotel; including quality, our associates and breakfast as they truly are a very important part to a great stay. Please be in touch the next time you visit; we’d be happy to help you navigate the bus and MBTA system. See you soon! qualitybosrc@hyatt.com Best, Sarah
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My 3-night stay at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge was for a conference a couple weeks ago. I commend the entire staff, for their great service, courtesy and professionalism; from the folks at the entrance who have the difficult task of braving the bitter Boston cold to assist guests out of the car or to hail them a taxi - to the front desk staff - to the cleaning and maintenance crews. Check in was simple and quick, and being a chocolate fan, it was a nice touch to present large bowls of chocolates for your guests. The atrium setup is pretty cool but I'd be less than transparent if I did not share that my latent fear of heights came to the fore as I ascended the elevator to the 12th floor where my room was; the view down is a bit scary so if that is an issue for you I recommend a room on a lower floor. The property is kept clean and neat by an able and caring staff. To enter your room, you use a card but unlike every other hotel I've stayed at, you do not insert the card into a reader, rather you simply pass the card in the air in front of a card reader (like a speed pass) - pretty awesome! My room had a terrace overlooking the Charles River and Brookline to the South and Boston to the East - spectacular sunrise and night time views. The rooms were well appointed, the bed was super comfortable with supportive pillows and excellent bedding. Nice bathroom with good quality bath products - and I like the packaging for the soap bar, it has sort of a jagged edge at one corner so ripping the packaging open is a snap. The heat/cool system works great.

What I did not like:
* there is no mini fridge / minibar. And when I opened the cabinet where a fridge would normally go, I found a used sock, guess the last guest missed that one.

* not sure if this was unique to my room, but the sliding patio door was nearly impossible to open - it was a struggle to get it to slide open.

* paying for wifi. Really?

Outstanding service:
* In room dining brought my order in a timely fashion and was delicious

* I'm a very deep sleeper so both wake up calls I had set up were to no avail. So the hotel associate came up and knocked on my door until I finally awoke. That was most appreciated.

All in all, a fine hotel and fine stay ...

Room Tip: A room on a high floor for the best views!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hello, Stephane A, Thank you for your detailed review of Hyatt Regency Cambridge. It was a pleasure to read, and I am thrilled to learn that small aspects of our authentic hospitality do not go unnoticed, from our associates working to ensure that each and every guest has a comfortable stay to the perforations on our soap amenities. Thank you as well, for bringing a few things to our attention; engineering and housekeeping has been briefed and is looking into your opportunities. Please be in touch next time you are in town—we would be happy to secure another route to your room if heights are a problem! All my best, Sarah qualitybosrc@hyatt.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed 2 nights for a conference in Harvard. The hotel is mid way between downtown Cambridge and the Harvard Business school. The staff was nice and helpful. The breakfast is ok not more, it is better to go downtown.

Room Tip: Take a room on the 12th floor at least above the 8th floor
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi Isab10027, Thank you so much for your review and for choosing Hyatt. We know that it can be hard to find a decent meal on the road, and strive to make sure that each person is completely satisfied with their food. Please let us know when you are in town next; we'd love to welcome you back with an outstanding meal! All my best, Sarah qualitybosrc@hyatt.com
Prairie Village, Kansas
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel on the last day/ night, and morning before leaving Cambridge after visiting extended family there. What stood out to me as a superb quality of this hotel was the staff and service. From Amy at the front desk to the staff at the Zephyr restaurant, the service was impeccable and the staff was friendly, helpful, informative, pleasant, and attentive. The meal I also ate at the Zephyr was well prepared! The lobby atrium was also impressive, architecturally unique, and clean as well. If you're looking to be near a busy event-filled location that is easy to walk or travel to like Central Square, this is not the hotel for you. It is more isolated than those close to the area. The MIT campus is the closest attraction to the hotel. However, the hotel does have a shuttle to take anyone to a desired location and pick them up.
The personal negative I had with this hotel is the mixed situation with the room I had. In the beginning, I do admit that I arrived very early way before the suggested check-in time so the fault may have began with me. The Queen room I requested by reservation wasn't ready yet so I was generously given a choice whether to wait an hour to get into that room or receive a complimentary upgrade with a Charles River view. Because I had things to do and was aching to get on with my schedule during the day I had to get done, I took the upgraded offer. In my head, I imagined that it was going to be an absolutely PERFECT room, but it wasn't. I was situated on the fourth floor which wasn't bad since the view out the window was incredible, especially at night. THE POSITIVE ROOM ASPECTS: I really like the floorplan/ layout of the room, and how the furniture was arranged, the bed was comfortable and it and the rest of the furniture was in good condition. I liked how a guest was able to choose whether they wanted to watch t.v. from the chair of the bed, all lighting and plumbing worked well, the closet was very roomy and had a dressing table next to it, and the desktop had a lot of extra work room. THE NEGATIVE ROOM ASPECTS: the bathroom was nice, clean, and well- appointed, but it was a tad smaller than hotels with a low ceiling.There was no refrigerator. That was surprising because I was used to the idea that most hotels have or should have refrigerators equipped in their rooms. The drawers next to that empty refrigerator cabinet were not as large as usual hotel drawers which contained clothes. The decor was ok. Kind of plain colored, but it worked. The only bad thing about the arrangement of the furniture was that the desk and its chair was partially in the way of the aisle by the bed.The defects with the most impacts were that the room was clean except for dusty tabletops, finger marks on the drawer cabinets, blue marks and gouges in the wallcovering and underlying drywall of the entry foyer, the clock was hard to figure out how to set/ reset the time, and the right outer curtain rod track was falling down from the ceiling. Aside from the negative factors, the stay was good. Also because the stay was for one night only, and I couldn't really judge it too suddenly because of that, it wasn't too bad. Just not great. The service, lobby, facility, food, and the unaffected working aspects of the room helped me through the stay besides being out and visiting my family that day. If I stayed longer, I would have thought differently or had requested another room.

Room Tip: Rooms with views of the Charles river are worth it, but only if the rest of the room is fine
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hi Max b, Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding our associates. I will be sure to pass along your words to Amy as well as to our chef’s at Zephyr on the Charles, who I'm sure will be very happy to hear from you. My sincere apologies with the opportunities with your room. It is our hope that each and every guest, regardless of their purpose of stay, has a relaxing and comfortable experience, and it is feedback like yours that helps us to improve each and every day. Please be in touch should you decide to visit us again, we will make a note in your profile regarding your tea preferences. Best, Sarah qualitybosrc@hyatt.com
Catawissa
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Hyatt Cambridge while visiting Boston University Law School. We got an excellent deal on a room with a balcony overlooking the river and Boston skyline. Our AAA deal inlcuded breakfast each morning. The hotel itself is beautiful with a beautiful atrium like set-up. THe check-in staff and outside personnel were very nice and efficient. There is a parking fee but luckily with our AAA discount it was only $25.00 per night. The parking garage was attached right to the hotel and was very convenient and not too full. Our room was very nice and had an excellent set up around the the bathroom. There was an additional vanity outside of the bathroom with a seating area and large mirror which is something I have not seen in many places. The balcony was a waste in the winter because it was totally covered with snow and no seats were available. The one good part of the balcony ws that we used ti to keep drinks cold as the room does not come with a fridge. I understand for a fee a frdige could have been brought to the room and the space for it is already allocated. I have stayed at Haptom Inn and Suites for under a $100.00 per night that have a full size fridge and kitchen so paying extra for a place to put 4-5 drinks is rediculous. Internet is also not free which in todays day and age is pretty much unheard of. We used our cellular service rather than pay extra for this service. There is a shuttle that will take you to three different stops but do not rely on the driver to tell you the lcoation of where anything is because she was incapable of even pointing right or left. The hotel had led us believe the driver would be able to point us in the direction of the lase school from the shuttle stop but we just had to take our chances.The Hyatt also had great Pillows and a very comfortable bed
Breakfast in this hotel was OUTSTANDING and even though it was inlcuded in our package it would have been worth $25.00-$30.00 in the city. IT was not your run of the meal food. Everything was top notch including the service and view. Othere than their resaurant and little sundry there were not restaurants within a walking distance. It worked out fine for us but it is something people should be aware of. My daughter had decided against Boston Law School however if we were to come back we would stay at the Hyatt again.

Room Tip: Don't worry about spending extra for the balcony in the winter. Even the view was not worth an...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hello, Lori J, thank you so much for the in-depth review of your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. Feedback like this is so great because it tells us what we are doing well at, but more importantly what we need to improve upon as well. We are so glad that you enjoyed as well as noticed the atrium set-up in our lobby. This is something that Hyatt is known for and implemented by designers at hotels around the world. It is great to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed the breakfast buffet; we truly have an amazing culinary team that strives to provide delicious food with natural ingredients to each of our guests. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Boston, soon! Best, Sarah.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Fenway / Kenmore
Hotel Commonwealth
Hotel Commonwealth
#8 of 83 in Boston

Been to Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston? Share your experiences!