“great staff”

Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
“great staff”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

i was impressed with how helpful the staff was for the entire stay
we had multiple rooms and various check in request and all of them were accommodated
great work out equipment
pool was a large pool for laps

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dirk S., thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. Reviews like this are so great to see because it shows that the hard work our associates put in each and every day truly pays off. We will be sure to pass this along to our team, as they will be ecstatic to see it. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you again, soon! Best, Sarah.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mulhouse, Alsace, France
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed 2 nights in the Hyatt Cambridge. I had a good room with a balcony which meant I could open the sliding door and get plenty of fresh air in the room which is often difficult in hotels with no balcony! The view of the Charles river and Boston was great. I enjoyed my stay - normally I don't like the "Atrium" style hotel design (i.e. where rooms back onto a central, enclosed atrium which runs the full height of the hotel) since this design tends to be noisy with all the hotel noises being funnelled up insider the atrium space, but in this hotel it seemed very quiet which was good. The staff were friendly, and the breakfast good, if a little pricey (but then that is typical of US hotels). My only gripe is around the room price - as part of a conference group special rate I thought I had a room at a certain price, but then on the bill there was a per-night 43 USD "occupancy charge" on top of the room rate, which actually made the per night cost quite expensive, in my view. I would have done better simply to go through my corporate travel agency, who I am sure would have got me a better rate overall. I think some better transparency about total (true) room rates would not go amiss - maybe I did not read the small print on the hotel website, but one shouldn't have to, the rate shown should reflect the total rate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Middlesex, Vermont
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel was impressive compared to many. Look up in the lobby, and you'll see 14+ floors of winding hallways with 4 glass elevators moving between them. I was hoping our room had a view of the Charles River like some other reviews mentioned. It didn't, but we still overlooked a little courtyard that was landscaped in an outdoor area. It was stuck between the lower lobby, our wing of rooms, and the parking garage. It was well done with ivy-covered brick, floral design, and a friendly bunny was wandering around and seemed domesticated/residing in the courtyard. Go up to the 16th floor and check out the view if you can...best view of Boston I've ever seen from the other side of the Charles.

Their pool was also impressive. It was a little tough to find since it was built above the parking garage (along with the fitness center), but it's glass ceiling made the search worthwhile.

The room was very nice too. Very classy, modern look. The beds were a definite highlight, and I slept like a baby.

Here's what really surprised me: why would a Hyatt Hotel need to overcharge (or spring unexpected charges) for standard, inexpensive conveniences? Maybe I'm naive, but I think the higher price for the room should allow for relatively basic conveniences to remain priced fairly.

I pulled into THEIR parking garage, because the signs said it belonged to the hotel. And, there didn't seemed to be anywhere else possible to park. Checking in, I was told it was an additional $35/night to park for the night. But, I don't live in Boston, and there didn't seem another option. When you book, tack another $35 onto the cost of the room.

Later, I used the room phone to make 3 calls, because I misplaced my cell. Big mistake. The first two calls were technically 'long distance' (a cell number with a neighboring state's area code). I never reached the intended party. One voicemail, one hangup prior to voicemail, and under 3 minutes on the phone was $26! I can't complain about ordering about ordering a flick (12 Years a Slave) for $16.99, because that was my own call (even if over-priced).

I received notice of the additional $78 and change in charges the next morning, under the door. Not sure why my account was charged an even $85, but I'm shrugging it off. It's hard to complain when it's such a beautiful hotel with great staff, and I didn't.

This hotel is gorgeous, and it's worth a stay for sure. Just be aware that $200+ a night can easily turn to $300+ a night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eric L
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I just got back from a 4 day stay at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge. This place is great! Not only is the staff attentive, the rooms are really nice and the area is really convenient to get into Cambridge center. I didn't need my car at all the whole time I was there and just left it in the garage. This is my second stay at this hotel and have only had great service. I would highly recommend this hotel if you're visiting Boston or Cambridge for any reason.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hello Roger M., thank you for reviewing your “5-star” stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. We are so glad that we were able to welcome you for your daughter’s graduation and you were able to experience such a busy and exciting time in the city! However, are happier to hear that you experienced the authentic hospitality of each of our associates during you stay. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to welcome you back for a third visit! Best, Sarah.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Overpriced, small rooms, pricey additions (breakfast and wifi), not a very convenient location for anything, lot of construction on area. But these are issues with most hotels in the area. Mattress was not firm enough for me. On the plus side, view from (a quite large) balcony is very good. Be sure to ask for room on a higher floor with view of the river. Night manager threw in free wifi upon request. Parking is free unlike some other hotels in the area.

Overall if you have to stay in/near Cambridge, this is a reasonable place to stay. Someone else reported getting a very good price on Priceline so that may be something to try.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank coolguy007
Hello coolguy007, thank you for stay with Hyatt Regency Cambridge. We are happy to hear that one of our managers was able to accommodate you during your stay with complimentary Wi-Fi! Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back, soon! Best, Sarah.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Got a room with a river view, overlooking boston. And the rooms were really nice. Really enjoyed the stay there. And the concierge was very helpful and sweet. The location is also perfect, since I was going to BU. Every single penny is worth the money in this hotel. The service was also amazing. I really liked it.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank divya1516
Divya1516, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the unique view of the Boston skyline and that our concierge was able to assist with area activities throughout your stay. We will be sure to let him know that you appreciated his authentic hospitality. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back, soon! Best, Sarah.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our last minute one night stay at the Hyatt Cambridge was smooth and easy. Located right on the Charles, it is simple to find and offers a great view of Boston and the river. Other than the view, the hotel is only average for this chain. The room was simple, and with an older style bathroom that was nonetheless very clean and efficient. The common area features a big atrium, but without the brightness and view of other Hyatts built in this style (e.g., Baltimore) or the huge welcoming space in San Francisco, for example. I gave it a fourth star for the view, so if you're choosing a non-view room, expect less.

Room Tip: River view is worth it.