“If you get a discount for this, don't think they will treat you as well”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My coworker and I got discount on this hotel. We were both placed in terrible rooms. He was right in front of the elevator and I was next to a very loud ice machine. The room itself wasn't so bad, but it was quite dusty despite having an air purifying machine (which seemed to produce more dust than it would filter), and the air conditioning system was even louder. I wish I were given the chance to open the window, it might have made my room easier to breathe in. Besides from this, the staff were quite nice, there is a free shuttle which we used every day to go to Central square and Harvard Square.

I got to use the pool and it was quite enjoyable. The gym is also well supplied.

As for the rest, don't believe that the water in your room (with no charges sign on it) is free, or that you will get internet or parking. Parking was supposedly 25$ according to the staff when I checked in, but I was later charged 35$ and internet is 15$ per day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,555)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Wonderful hotel and worth the extra $. Walking distance to MIT or shuttle also available not only to MIT but all the Boston 'hotspots'. Polite staff eager to please and rooms very well kept. We reserved a room with a balcony which was a very nice bonus.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Kathleen M., thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hyatt Recent Cambridge during MIT Graduation! We are so glad to hear that you took advantage of our convenient location to MIT as well as the complimentary shuttle. Next time you stay with us you should stop by Market on the Charles for a cup of freshly brewed Starbucks coffee prior to venturing out in the city! Also, please pass along our congratulations to your recent graduate, we wish them all the luck in future endeavors! Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again, soon! Best, Sarah.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Two weeks on business with work days from 9 to 5 solid. I ended up at this hotel because others nearer to the office were booked up (Harvard and MIT graduation). In the end I think I got a better deal because the hotel was excellent. I ate in every night and was constantly impressed by the quality of the food. The staff were excellent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Iainmr M., thank you for the “5-star” review! We are happy to hear that you took advantage of our location convenient to MIT and Harvard. Next time you stay with us you should utilize our complimentary shuttle, connecting guests to locations around the Cambridge area. Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back, soon! Best, Sarah.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

i was impressed with how helpful the staff was for the entire stay
we had multiple rooms and various check in request and all of them were accommodated
great work out equipment
pool was a large pool for laps

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dirk S., thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. Reviews like this are so great to see because it shows that the hard work our associates put in each and every day truly pays off. We will be sure to pass this along to our team, as they will be ecstatic to see it. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you again, soon! Best, Sarah.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed 2 nights in the Hyatt Cambridge. I had a good room with a balcony which meant I could open the sliding door and get plenty of fresh air in the room which is often difficult in hotels with no balcony! The view of the Charles river and Boston was great. I enjoyed my stay - normally I don't like the "Atrium" style hotel design (i.e. where rooms back onto a central, enclosed atrium which runs the full height of the hotel) since this design tends to be noisy with all the hotel noises being funnelled up insider the atrium space, but in this hotel it seemed very quiet which was good. The staff were friendly, and the breakfast good, if a little pricey (but then that is typical of US hotels). My only gripe is around the room price - as part of a conference group special rate I thought I had a room at a certain price, but then on the bill there was a per-night 43 USD "occupancy charge" on top of the room rate, which actually made the per night cost quite expensive, in my view. I would have done better simply to go through my corporate travel agency, who I am sure would have got me a better rate overall. I think some better transparency about total (true) room rates would not go amiss - maybe I did not read the small print on the hotel website, but one shouldn't have to, the rate shown should reflect the total rate.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel was impressive compared to many. Look up in the lobby, and you'll see 14+ floors of winding hallways with 4 glass elevators moving between them. I was hoping our room had a view of the Charles River like some other reviews mentioned. It didn't, but we still overlooked a little courtyard that was landscaped in an outdoor area. It was stuck between the lower lobby, our wing of rooms, and the parking garage. It was well done with ivy-covered brick, floral design, and a friendly bunny was wandering around and seemed domesticated/residing in the courtyard. Go up to the 16th floor and check out the view if you can...best view of Boston I've ever seen from the other side of the Charles.

Their pool was also impressive. It was a little tough to find since it was built above the parking garage (along with the fitness center), but it's glass ceiling made the search worthwhile.

The room was very nice too. Very classy, modern look. The beds were a definite highlight, and I slept like a baby.

Here's what really surprised me: why would a Hyatt Hotel need to overcharge (or spring unexpected charges) for standard, inexpensive conveniences? Maybe I'm naive, but I think the higher price for the room should allow for relatively basic conveniences to remain priced fairly.

I pulled into THEIR parking garage, because the signs said it belonged to the hotel. And, there didn't seemed to be anywhere else possible to park. Checking in, I was told it was an additional $35/night to park for the night. But, I don't live in Boston, and there didn't seem another option. When you book, tack another $35 onto the cost of the room.

Later, I used the room phone to make 3 calls, because I misplaced my cell. Big mistake. The first two calls were technically 'long distance' (a cell number with a neighboring state's area code). I never reached the intended party. One voicemail, one hangup prior to voicemail, and under 3 minutes on the phone was $26! I can't complain about ordering about ordering a flick (12 Years a Slave) for $16.99, because that was my own call (even if over-priced).

I received notice of the additional $78 and change in charges the next morning, under the door. Not sure why my account was charged an even $85, but I'm shrugging it off. It's hard to complain when it's such a beautiful hotel with great staff, and I didn't.

This hotel is gorgeous, and it's worth a stay for sure. Just be aware that $200+ a night can easily turn to $300+ a night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eric L
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I just got back from a 4 day stay at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge. This place is great! Not only is the staff attentive, the rooms are really nice and the area is really convenient to get into Cambridge center. I didn't need my car at all the whole time I was there and just left it in the garage. This is my second stay at this hotel and have only had great service. I would highly recommend this hotel if you're visiting Boston or Cambridge for any reason.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Hello Roger M., thank you for reviewing your “5-star” stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. We are so glad that we were able to welcome you for your daughter’s graduation and you were able to experience such a busy and exciting time in the city! However, are happier to hear that you experienced the authentic hospitality of each of our associates during you stay. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to welcome you back for a third visit! Best, Sarah.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Allston / Brighton
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
#17 of 19 in Cambridge
Charles Hotel
#3 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston? Share your experiences!