“We didn't even stay the night...”

Cambridge Gateway Inn
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Atlanta, Georgia
“We didn't even stay the night...”
Reviewed 14 November 2007

Upon arriving at this "hotel," located off the side of the highway, we saw a herse pull up beside our car. This was a little odd, so we started reading reviews of the hotel online, before checking in. We did not like what we read, but figured that we could survive one night. however, we overheard the people working there talking about a robbery and murder. And that's when the herse drove to the back.... and eventually left. We stayed about thirty whole minutes, sitting in our room with a couple insect guests finding a way out of the hotel. We decided to spend the night at a relatives house. Overall it was a very bad experienced and our teenaged daughter was extremely frightened. Not recomended at all, there is a good reason why their prices have dropped.

Stayed November 2007
6 Thank ih8meat32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
NJ
Reviewed 16 October 2007

The website directions coming off Mass Ave (from Harvard) are confusing! However, I wish we hadn't found the place. We checked in about 10pm, and there wasn't a ground floor room, despite having requested one when booking. (Disabled guest).
The desk clerk gave us his room (?) which I appreciated, but it was the first one in the hallway (Room 103). You could hear every noise in the lobby, especially when the door to the lobby was propped open in the morning at 6am to run the extension cords for the coffee pot and 'continental breakfast", and of course, every booming voiced guest coming for breakfast.
The bathroom floor was pitted and filled with cigarette burns. The bright blue toliet and sink were dingy. The scratchy blanket also had cigarette burn holes in it. I don't expect a lot for this price range as far as amenities go, but I did expect clean. I didn't find it here. The wi-fi access, which had made us pick this place, was spotty and kept going in and out. Ours was just a two night stay, so the fridge and microwave wasn't a big need, but they were noisy. On one side of the motel is a boarded up building, a closed factory? maybe, and the otherside boarders a bowling alley parking lot, which stays open late and has NOISY patrons.
Our student has another year and a half at school, so we'll be looking all over Cambridge for another inexpensive but CLEAN place to stay.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the motel room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank wearytrvlr

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Maine
Reviewed 1 October 2007

This hotel is a perfectly fine hotel as long as you compare it to a similar one. It reminded me of a hotel you would find while travelling cross-country on an interstate. If you are expecting the Lennox or Back Bay Hilton, you will be disappointed, however you won't have the $300+ per night bill that you would at one of those places.

The rooms and public areas were clean. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The continental breakfast was good. The Alewife T Station is .3 mile away, and access from I-95 is easy.

The Cambridge Gateway Inn is a good place to stay. I will not hesitate to stay there again.

Again, this hotel is not trying to compete with the expensive luxery hotels in-town, so don't compare it to them.

• Liked — Clean rooms, low price
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
NY
Reviewed 9 September 2007

Out of my whole life of traveling, I have never seen a place as bad as this. Upon arrival, my idea of the place was at a low. Walking through the front door around 10-ish, we were confronted with an empty reception desk and a guy leaning against the counter. The receptionist came back, looking over to the man, and asked him if a group of five people on his security camera were with him. The man answered yes, and the receptionist stated he could not have 5 other guests when he only paid for two. When we were given our keys to our room, we had to lug our baggage up a flight of stairs, since there was no elevator. Puke sat in the corner at the top of the stairs, and in the hallway was the guy's five friends. It was obvious that all but one other guy was drunk, one of them sitting on the floor of the hall, puking as we passed. The rooms did not provide any more feeling of happiness. While it is enough to live by, it was absolutely disappointing. It smelled disgusting, and the bathroom had no shampoo, and the floor was wet beside the toilet. Water cups were already opened from the wrapper as well. It was obvious there had been no effort to truly clean up the place before a new guest. One should at least expect a clean room upon arrival. I was thoroughly displeased at this. It was about four more hours before the hotel was quiet. You could hear next door, and even down the hall, the walls clearly doing nothing to keep sound out. AC was terrible, turning on and off, very loudly, all night. The TV offered basic channels, but poor reception, so bad you cannot even read the scores on the sports channel. Opening the curtains revealed a view of cars below, and then after that, a boarded-up building. Disgusting. The only upside was the price. However, even at such a low price range, I suggest that everyone should not waste their time there. You will get no sleep, no service, and no satisfaction. There are times when a hotel CAN get this low. DO NOT go here. I know I will never suggest it to anyone else. Don't be drawn in by the cheap price. It's not worth it.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank teekaboots
Sydney
Reviewed 19 June 2007

This is the second time I've stayed at the Cambridge Gateway Inn -- the first being in August 2006.

On both occasions, the staff were always warm and friendly, often going out of their way to assist you. The rooms, while a little older, are nicely appointed (see photos), without being extravagant. The continental breakfast available in the morning are also a bonus of staying here. It's only a short walk from here to the Alewife T-stop on the Red Line, where Harvard, MIT and Downtown Boston are easily accessible. And, if you don't like the walk, a courtesy bus is there ready to take you leaving every half hour or so -- just ask at reception.

There are a few reasons why this is "above average" rather than "excellent". Sometimes in the corridors do smell of cigarette smoke, which can be a bit off-putting. Also, there are few restaurants nearby (you need to go into Davis Square or Arlington for these) and the shopping centre is a 25 minute walk away.

Overall, though, these are fairly minor considerations. If you want to stay around Boston in a friendly and warm place that doesn't cost "an arm and a leg", I thoroughly recommend this establishment to you.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Occasional smell of smoke in halls
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
5 Thank bratsche80
South Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2007

The Cambridge Gateway Hotel needs some renovations. The building was quite old and neglected, and the room was pretty dirty. It was also difficult to find off the turnpike, but it is a 10 minute walk from Alewife Station, which was convenient. The front desk staff was helpful because we didn't know the area very well, but the service wasn't very good--one day they forgot to bring us our towels. Also, the cable was finicky and the channels didn't come in well. One of the previous reviewers said that you get a free fridge and microwave in the room, but the fridge was so noisy we had to unplug it during the night. But I guess you get what you pay for!

• Liked — Near a T station, and it was pretty cheap
  • Disliked — Building needs renovations
  • Stayed May 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank vividprodigy
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed 20 October 2006

Let me start off by saying the good:

1. The hotel was a 5 minute walk to the Alewife subway station. They have a shuttle to take you to the station that runs from about 8am-7pm and they have a map that shows you how to walk there if there is no shuttle running. I did the walk at 5am in the dark carrying my luggage and found it to be an easy walk and it did not seem unsafe.

2. The hotel was quiet.

Unfortunately, though, I would not recommend this hotel. The bathroom had clearly not been cleaned before our arrival. There was gross stuff on the toilet seat that was easily wiped off with a rag (by myself), the sink was clearly dirty, everything about the bathroom was dirty. The room itself seemed clean enough, but who knows. I always stay in budget motels. I don't expect stellar rooms or wonderful service, but I do expect a clean, quiet room for the night. I have never seen such an obvious lack of cleaning before and so therefore I would not stay here again.

• Liked — Cost
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
6 Thank Traveller21345
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Freepoint Hotel
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
#3 of 20 in Cambridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,543 reviews

Been to Cambridge Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!