“Awesome location.”

Harvard Square Hotel
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed here while my husband had conference at Harvard. Because of the kids, he wanted to be close enough to come back and forth from the campus. If that wasn't so, probably would not have chosen this hotel. First, the parking lot is tiny. $35 per day to park there, and they have said that we can go in and out as we please (I have heard that some hotels you can't since it's valet parking); however, we didn't use our car because we feared that we might not find another parking lot when we came back. Not that we really needed car for the trip we had planned. There is a small lobby. Staff seems very nice. The room is small, but clean. Free wi-fi is nice. There is no coffee machine. For a hotel ~300 per night, you think there would be complementary coffees.. There is a small snack bar at the lobby where you can get coffee for fee. There is no bath tub which would be fine but my daughter hates shower. We stayed in the two double bed room. The beds are very comfortable. Our room faced the street/parking lot, but still had a nice view of the town being on the third floor. The fridge in the room was nice so we can keep our kids milk. Another thing that was little inconvenient is that in order to get to the elevator from the street, you have to get in to one of those handicap lift which did not work for me; I had a stroller with me for my one year old.
With all the little 'issues' I had with the hotel, the truth is that we will probably stay here again. the location is AWESOME. This place does not need any restaurant in the building, since there are tons of places just few steps away from the area. For any conferences/business that you might have at Harvard, really you can go in and out as you pleases since it's close proximity.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I would be remiss if I did not provide feedback regarding this terrific hotel and its wonderful staff. It has THE BEST location in Cambridge, virtually across the street from Harvard and about two blocks from Harvard Square. All around the hotel, lots of people out having a nice time, lots of restaurants (entire price range), two terrific book stores and a block from the subway/trolley station from which you can go just about anywhere. Central Boston is about two stops away. While there is not much to do and see in central Boston in the evening, the area around the hotel is very much alive. The room we stayed in was very nice, decently sized, clean and quiet Hotel staff were phenomenal. They took considerable time to give us the lay of the land and provided excellent recommendations on restaurants and things to see. They were always willing to assist and were genuinely friendly and approachable. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night while attending an event at Harvard University, which is short walk away. Lots of restaurant choices and shops nearby. A couple minute walk to Kennedy Park and the Charles River.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 3 July 2013

--Stayed for a conference.
--1st room had an abundance of hair under the sheets and duvet. EXTREMELY friendly desk clerk began to change the sheets, but decided to move me upstairs. I would've stayed in the hairy room. Oh, well.
--room 2 had no air. Several clerks came to check and all assured me it would cool down. I left for about 4 hours to sight-see--no cool down. Another clerk came and assured it would cool down. I was too tired from a full day of traveling and fell asleep to awaken to 3 bug bites and sweaty as ever.
Room 3 was fine, other than the toilet wouldn't stop running, but I was afraid to bother staff anymore, so I just kept the bathroom door shut.
Rooms are VERY small--consider this if bringing children. Even if you order a single room and it's just you and a significant other, this place is too tiny and you will not leave liking each other.
No real amenities--breakfast, coffee, gym; you must ask for iron/board.
Free Wi-Fi was excellent. Desk staff was unbelievably amazing.
Close to a lot in the Square.
I was beside the elevator when I was in room 2, but it did not awaken me from my sweaty slumber.

Room Tip: Ask for a double even if you're a single traveler.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank A L
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Sleek and stylish, this was a gem of a hotel right in the middle of all that's happening in Cambridge. The room was small, but so attractive, with a truly stunning canvas wrapped photo on the wall above the bed. Lacking in some amenities, such as coffee in the room (you can get it in the lobby, but for a price), the hotel nevertheless provided a European type of hotel experience. We loved it!

One problem with our visit and this has absolutely nothing to do with the hotel management, is that Cambridge has a serious problem with homeless people panhandling. Some were downright aggressive and offensive - made for some very uncomfortable encounters.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

Paid $400 per night at this hotel which has tiny rooms, lacks basic facilities and needs noise insulation for both inside & out. Understand rates are based on supply & demand but this is outrageous for a motel style property with little customer service. Don't bother staying here, find yourself a better option there are plenty around.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Shen77
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Location, location, location is a key advantage of this hotel, especially if you are visiting Harvard and want to be close to the T and Harvard Square. My room was on the small side, but not uncomfortably so compared to many city hotels. The room was painted bright white and was sparkling clean, with large a large photograph of what looked to be a walkway at the Alhambra. The room was perfectly fine for my 2-night stay. The iron I used while I was there had seen better days, but that is often the case at hotels, I find. The front desk staff was very attentive and professional. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business