“Perfect New Year's weekend”

Residence Inn Boston Cambridge
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed here over New Year's weekend 2011/2012 for 2 nights. The one bedroom was very large, nicely laid out with updated furnishings. Very clean room with more than we needed for 2 nights - kitchen, etc. Lots of space for us to stretch out and all of the hotel amenities we've come to expect - electrical outlets in the desk and bedside lamps, blackout shades with sheers over them, large closet with lots of hangers, nice bed linens and towels. The breakfast was very good - standard Residence Inn fare, you can be naughty or nice: pancakes, sausage, sugary cereals, muffins vs yogurt, fresh fruit, oatmeal. Very friendly breakfast staff and front desk staff, lots of smiles all around. No street noise on the 10th floor.

The pool and hot tub area served us nicely and the workout room is nicer than many hotel gyms we've used. We parked both on the street and in the garage directly behind the hotel - garage during the day on Saturday to avoid having to feed meters every 2 hours, on the street any other time.

Walked to dinner at Evoo on Friday night - fantastic food. Took the T a couple of blocks from the hotel into Boston on Saturday night. Walked to the movie theatre, too.

Great location, Kendall Square is up and coming.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have extra windows.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VacationInCR

Reviewed 3 January 2012

The Marriott brand of hotels has always been consistently good for us, and the Residence Inn Cambridge is no exception. We stayed for New Year's Eve, had a great corner unit on the top floor. Room was clean and spacious. We were very pleased! Location is close to a few good restaurants, but otherwise, pretty quiet area. Felt safe walking back on New Year's Eve in the wee hours of the morning.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank CKTtravels
Reviewed 23 December 2011

This would have been a positive review except for a very unfortunate incident at the end of my stay. Just like an earlier reviewer, Woody048, my family had jewelry "disappear" at this hotel. My mother left a pendant and a watch -- not very valuable, but quite sentimental -- behind in a dresser drawer. She realized her mistake within hours and called the hotel and had absolutely no luck in retrieving the missing items despite the fact that the head of housekeeping stated that no one other than hotel staff had been in the room since we left. I also called the hotel twice and had no luck either. I found this very upsetting and although the stay was quite nice otherwise, I would never return to this hotel because with this incident and the incident reported by Woody048 I would not be able to relax.

My mother also had an incident when she left the parking garage. Despite being told by the front desk that the rate for a three day stay would be $18 a day, the parking garage charged her $24 a day and stated that some sort of previous arrangement would have to have been made to get that rate despite the fact that no mention of this requirement was ever made by the front desk and a sign in the garage refers to the reduced rate with no mention of prior arrangements being required. While this isn't a huge issue, it's irritating and the hotel should be handing out correct parking information to guests.

These incidents are really too bad because otherwise this is a nice facility -- quite clean and well maintained and very close to the Kendall T stop. Had we not had our "disappearing" jewelry incident we would have made this hotel our new base for visits to Boston.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Dear Katie06382, Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Boston Cambridge for your visit last month. I am very disappointed to hear about the jewelry that could not be located in your room.

I would like to address this issue personally, and am hopeful that you can contact me via phone at the Hotel to provide more specific information.

I also read your notes about the discrepancy in parking garage rates. The public garage behind the Hotel does offer discounted pricing for multiple days, however a prearrangement must be made with the garage office to take advantage of this pricing. I apologize that the Front Desk associate did not make this clear, and have asked the Front Office Manager to review garage rates with the Front Desk staff. In the meantime, I have issued a credit to your account to make up for this difference.

I appreciate your taking the time to provide feedback about your stay and look forward to hearing from you soon so that I may address the missing jewelry.

Kind regards,

John Wilmoth

Reviewed 19 December 2011

My wife was on a work trip to the Cambridge, Massachusetts area and was staying at the Residence Inn. She had a two bedroom suite so her mother, my daughter, and I flew up for a long weekend with her. The hotel was nice, clean, and spacious. My daughter and mother-in-law really enjoyed the indoor pool. The best amenity by far was the free breakfast. This was a quite a bit more extensive than the average free hotel breakfast. It was also very fresh and tasty. The hotel is next to the MIT campus, about a half a block from a Legal Seafoods restaurant, and about a block and a half away from a subway station for travel into downtown Boston. I hope I have the opportunity to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to stay high up or on the backside of the hotel to avoid road noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank morrisn
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend ( November ) from Sat to Sunday. We were going to see the Boston Ballet and wanted something close for the overnight stay. First of all, the staff was very nice. For example, when I checked in, I had asked about parking. They have a garage in back that is $24 a night, OR she suggested that I park at one of the metered spots since we were coming back late on Sat since they are free on Sunday. I did that and saved $24 so I appreciated that they were trying to help out their guests. Secondly, the room was great. I like Residence Inn’s because the rooms are so spacious, and this was just that, a suite like room that was large and clean. The bed was comfortable as well. We used the pool in the morning which was nicely heated and appeared clean. The exercise room was clean and had a good selection of equipment as well. The free breakfast was also very nice and they had a good assortment of bagels / pastries /fruit, etc. The location is great as well. There is a shopping mall about a mile and a half up the street that we went to which was great. Overall, I would highly recommend this property. Great location, great rooms and a great price for Boston. Can’t really ask for much more!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank VernonCT
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This hotel was excellent! It was clean, well kept & in an awesome location! The hotel staff was also very courteous & ready to assist us with any questions we had. The "T" stations are not far from the hotel, making it easy to get in & out of the city in no time. There are a few restaurants nearby & a Public Parking Garage behind the hotel that makes it easy for those renting cars to find a spot to park it when not in use (get a pass from the hotel desk for this). It was great to have a "home away from home" in the city area - we liked having the kitchenette & living room area to unwind in after a day's worth of traversing about the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShamrockB
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The hotel is very conveniently located; the room was large and comfortable; and the bed/mattress were exceptional. Great TV and other amenities. Best part was the service beginning with the check-in, carrying bags to our room, and immediate response to a problem in the bathroom. Would certainly stay there again!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple