“Wonderful stay. Extremely convenient to MIT and the Kendall T stop.”

Residence Inn Boston Cambridge
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Stayed here for MIT Parent's weekend. Large room compared to most hotels, kitchen, and great location. We were able to keep coming back to the hotel during down times from campus which was not an option when I stayed further away. No taxis needed - could either take the T or walk everywhere. For MIT parents, this hotel is very close to East Campus.

Breakfast was better than most free breakfasts. My only complaint was there was only canned pepsi at the evening reception on Thursday. Yes, my only complaint is I didn't like what they gave us for free. Clearly this isn't a large issue.

There is construction next door, but it didn't affect us other than walking around barriers.

We asked and were granted late check out until 2 pm. This was really nice so we could freshen up before we headed out to the airport. This will be my number one hotel in Cambridge. No need to look for another, my husband called this one of the best hotels we've every stayed in. I agree.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank USTraveler0222
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear TravelerMR,

Thank you for the nice remarks that you wrote about your recent stay during MIT Parents Weekend. I greatly appreciate your taking the time to post this feedback to TripAdvisor.

I am especially pleased that you enjoyed the large suite style room with the kitchen, and it seemed as if our location to the MIT Campus afforded you some extra time to enjoy your visit. This is a thriving area and fortunately the construction you noted has been completed.

On behalf of the entire staff, I am thankful for you choosing our Hotel and hope that you have enjoyed the Holiday season. We look forward to your return again during the New Year.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 December 2013

10" Black hairs on the floor of my bathroom, trash in the trash bin, dirty pillows, living room chair looks as if it is 10-years old, (so worn you can not sit in it without the material sticking into your forearms), and last but not least I come back to my room at 9PM and it was not cleaned. Asked for towels and shampoo to be delivered and they brought me lotion, no shampoo, seriously, how is it that you forget to clean my room and then bring the wrong product. This hurts to write this review as I am a loyal Marriott customer 3000+ nights over the last 13 years........Not worth the price and I have canceled my reservations at this property for the next three weeks, heading to Marriott Courtyard further up on the Charles River.......God please let this property be better................Bill Marriott would not be happy with the lack of quality control at this property. Sorry Marriott Residence Inn in Cambridge, I've also pulled two additional employees out of this property and canceled future reservations.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Brian C
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Brian C,

First, I must apologize for the most dissatisfactory experience you have incurred during your recent visit. It is upsetting to me to learn of the numerous items you mentioned.

I am fairly confident that after you posted your feedback, you also reached out to me at the Hotel. While my attempt to connect with you was not successful, I would still like an opportunity to address the items you listed directly with you.

I agree that some of the areas of the room appear worn. Fortunately, we begin a total Hotel room renovation in 15 days which will address the furniture. In regards to the cleanliness issues that you wrote about, the Housekeeping Manager has already provided your direct comments to the associates involved, as they were coached to perform better in the future.

Please accept my sincere apologies again for these issues. I will plan to follow up directly with you in regards to your stay.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The rooms are huge, very big, both the 1 bedrooms and the double queens. It is great for an extended stay, to have adequate space to spread out and relax. The front desk staff are very good, extremely well trained, friendly, funny, welcoming, the managers too are terrific. The breakfast staff are absolutely wonderful, they keep the food hot, replenished, the space clean and beautiful, they are the best. It is because of the people that the property is so attractive and so relaxing. There is never any hassle, and problems are quickly addressed with positive attitude.
Only drawbacks: the bed in the 1 bedrooms is a double, so small; bed is average, not Marriott quality; the heat/air con is uncomfortable, blows hot or cold; and the laundry room washing machines are ancient and usually out of order. THe owner of the building is at fault for that, and it does detract from the experience.
Otherwise, great location for MIT and very close to T and Kendall Station.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mentaltraveller

Dear mentaltraveller,

Thank you for providing such great feedback about our staff, and most especially thank you for staying at the Residence Inn Boston Cambridge.

I will be certain to provide you the staff with the comments you provided, as they will be proud to hear about their efforts. I apologize that you found the bed to only be average quality. The Hotel has all queen beds throughout the building, and I am very pleased to announce that we are planning to replace the beds in 2014. In two weeks, the Hotel will begin renovation of all guest rooms

As the General Manager of the Hotel, it is my responsibility to interface with the Ownership to provide them with a list of capital improvement items. Included on this list for 2014 is a new guest room energy efficient thermostat for all rooms. In addition to an energy savings, the new thermostats should provide a stable and comfortable environment. New washing machines are also planned for the guest laundry room next year.

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to let me know about the items above. It is through feedback channels such as this that I am able to make supported recommendations to our Ownership. I hope that on a return visit to the area, you will return.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

The location is perfect, close to the T and a short ride into Boston. The stay was a little pricey but the rooms were clean and well kept. We could not find a grocery or convenience store close by so if your looking to stock your refrigerator without going through the hotels services, plan ahead. The breakfast buffet was ok but we're not big breakfast eaters so I'm probably a bad judge when it comes to that. The only complaint I could find with the hotel is that the pool was a bit cool which made our swim very short. I cannot say enough on how helpful and nice the staff was from the front desk, to the maintenance person we encountered in a hallway to the maids - everyone was great. I would definitely stay here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: We were in a corner room furtherest from the elevator and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pla40
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear pla40,

Thank you for taking the time to send in this great review of your recent stay at our Hotel. On this Thanksgiving day, there is much to appreciate. I am eternally grateful for a family of Hotel staff that is seasoned and professional, and it appears they gave their same great service to you during your visit.

I will have the Chief Engineer look at the heating equipment for the pool to make sure we are maintaining the water between 82 and 84 degrees. I apologize if it felt a little cool and will have it looked at immediately.

If you happen to return, please remember that we will do the grocery shopping for you at no additional charge, as it’s part of our daily service! Also, we can always accept your grocery list in advance of your arrival so your refrigerator is stocked when you check in. That way, you have more time to explore the terrific neighborhood.

Thank you again for staying. Best wishes to you and your family for a joyful holiday season.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband was attending a class at MIT and my kids and I decided to join him on the weekend. He was staying in a 1bedroom suite all week and we stayed in the same room on Thursday night. We requested a rollaway. It was tight but adequate space. On Friday, we reserved a larger room for the weekend. They were very accommodating! They moved our luggage to our new room while we were out and about! Very clean, staff is super nice!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear drdotbrown,

Thank you for submitting such nice remarks to TripAdvisor about your recent stay. I am glad that you appreciated the staff’s efforts to help your family move into the new room. I will be sure to pass along your comments to them as a reminder of how important these efforts are to our guests.

I trust that the rest of your stay was enjoyable, and that your family found plenty to do in the area. If you are planning a return visit at any point, please feel free to contact me personally so I may assist with your accommodations.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed here using my Reward Points because there's no way I would have paid the actual price. This hotel offered several great perks which might make it worth the price for you. First, the room was well-appointed. It had a kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator with freezer, dishwasher, microwave, cooktop, and lots of utensils. The kitchen spilled into the living room which had a couch, coffee table, desk, and television. The bedroom had a bed, two nightstands, and a dresser that served as TV stand. The bathroom was okay, but not spectacular. No cleanliness concerns. The best perk was the "social hour", or as I liked to call it: "free dinner". From 6pm-7:30pm Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, they offer a big spread in the breakfast area. I expected a few appetizers, but they served burgers, soup, desserts, soda, and more! Breakfast was plentiful, too. There are many great restaurants in the area, but if you need more variety, the Kendall "T" station is only a couple blocks away.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ann F

Dear Ann F,

I am so happy that you were able to redeem your Marriott Rewards points to stay with us back in September. Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards member!

It appears that you enjoyed the spacious suite, and I am pleased to hear that you found the room to be well-appointed. We are very excited about our upcoming Room Renovation. Scheduled to begin in less than 2 months, we are planning to renovate all of the guest rooms with a new design package.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments to TripAdvisor. I have shared your positive feedback about the complimentary evening social and complimentary morning breakfast with the staff. Our associates take great pride in providing a memorable experience for our guests.

I hope that on a return trip to the area you will stay with us again and have a chance to experience our new rooms. Thanks again for staying.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had a great 5 night stay at the Residence Inn in Cambridge. As a family of 5 that prefers suite hotels, the options in downtown Boston are limited. Loved our two bedroom, 2 bath set-up at the Residence Inn- it gave us plenty of space to spread out, the convenience of a kitchen for the insatiable appetite of our teen boys, and at a location central to everything we wanted to see. A short walk to the Kendall T made this location convenient to sightseeing both Boston and Cambridge. I also appreciated the sizable laundry room adjacent to the fitness center...this is one of the few hotels where you don't need to hover over a washing machine to find one available. The staff was very helpful and attentive to all our needs. Will definitely return to the Residence Inn on our next visit to Boston!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear austinblakely,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your family visit back in March to the Residence Inn Boston Cambridge. Thanks for posting your comments to TripAdvisor. The two bedroom suites really do provide extra space for families, and it sounds as if you took advantage of the full kitchen. Hopefully we even did some grocery shopping for you while you were out for the day!

You mentioned the staff was helpful and attentive, and I will be sure to pass along your review. If any of the staff members stood out in particular, please let me know their name so I can show my appreciation to them.

We look forward to you returning to our Residence Inn, and if I can be of personal assistance on your return trip, please let me know.