“Great hotel for family travel to Cambridge”

Residence Inn Boston Cambridge
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I travel to MIT every 2-3 weeks and usually stay in the nearby Marriott Boston Cambridge but since I travelled with family this time I decided to stay in the next door Residence Inn and was quite happy with the experience. Spacious rooms, good breakfast, convenient location.
Giving it 4 stars since it's still quite expensive and if you're a price-sensitive traveler you may be better off with more reasonably priced nearby alternatives.
Also if you're a Marriott Rewards Elite don't count on any upgrades - for some reason they are very rarely available (even in February when the hotel is seemingly empty).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Denis L
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Denis L,

Thank you for giving us a try when you brought your family on this latest trip to visit MIT. I’m so pleased to hear that the larger spacious suite and complimentary breakfast helped your family to enjoy their stay.

I’m sorry that we weren’t able to offer you an upgrade during this last stay. We often have large groups staying for several months throughout the year that occupy our larger suites. As a Marriott Rewards Elite member, I respect the amount of traveling that you experience. Next time you are planning a trip to the area please feel free to contact me directly, and I will do my best to secure an upgraded room for you.

I appreciate your taking the time to post your comments and especially for choosing our Hotel. I hope to see you back on a return trip soon.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Boston Cambridge

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've stayed at this Inn on a number of visits to Cambridge. This last visit just didn't work. I was given room 1504, which is on the garage side of the building. Evidently I hadn't stayed on this side before. There is a loud blower on that side of the building that, to me, created an unbearable racket. I called the front desk and the attendant said that on one else has ever brought that up. In other words, in his view, it's not a problem. I went to dinner across the street and I heard the blower loudly as I crossed Ames Street. Clearly, it wasn't my imagination. Of course, this is a structural issue that the staff isn't responsible to manage, and that's not expected. The blower and the exchange with the desk agent tainted my impression of the hotel. I found the one bedroom suite small and cramped. I think that I've always gotten studios before, which, to be honest, are open and more attractive than the costlier one-bedroom. I'm moving to the full service Marriott down the street tomorrow.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the garage side of the building.
4  Thank RMA626
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear RMA626,

I was very disappointed to read your comments about the disruptive noise on the back side of the building. I would like an opportunity to learn more details from you, and would appreciate if you have a chance to contact me directly at the Hotel. This will give me a better idea on how to research and address the issue.

In addition, I appreciate the feedback about your interaction with the Front Desk. I will be sure to use your feedback to help deliver coaching to the associates involved. While this may have been a comment that was new, it should have been met with empathy and an offer to make different accommodations for you.

Thank you again for the constructive information. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I would come back. Located one block from Kendall/MIT T station on the Red Line, making it easy to/from Logan Airport without changing T trains. (And good for any other place convenient by T train). Welcome living space—two double beds, bathroom, writing desk, sofa and coffee table, fully-equipped kitchen and dining table. Spotless. Very decent breakfast buffet—cooked food, cereals, pancakes, fruit, breads and pastries, etc. Coin-operated washers, dryers and detergent dispensers (plus iron and ironing board in the room) make for a much better arrangement than expensive laundry service (which is also available). Not right 'in town' but Boston in any case isn't that kind of city.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I just checked out of this hotel after a four night stay, and my overall expectations were succeeded. The staff was friendly, the breakfast was good (and the selection changed each day), my room was very clean, the location was great for attending a conference at MIT and as a surprise, the hotel had 'small dinners' two of the nights of my stay. I would highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank JK00001
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The front desk and breakfast staff and the management are the best, better than any other hotel we have ever stayed at. They really care about customer service; friendly, professional and seem to enjoy their jobs. Makes all the difference.
The rooms and breakfast areas are all freshly decorated, and the rooms are quite large. The only drawback is the ancient fridges, but if you only want to keep drinks cool that'll be fine too. Always stay here. Have tried elsewhere in Cambridge but this is the best.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear mentaltraveller,

It’s great to have you back at our Hotel again, thank you for returning. I am so happy to hear about the great service you received. Our staff truly enjoys what they do, and we all have fun, even while working.

We are very pleased with the recent rooms renovation that was just completed. The colors are bright and fresh, and it seems as though you enjoyed the finished product. While our existing refrigerators still work fine, the Hotel has just begun a phased approach to replacing kitchen appliances. This will help to make the room feel like a modern home for our guests.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope to see you back on a return trip.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

To start with, the reservation was not so easy for me who was trying to make a reservation for over 90 days! Isn't that strange? I work for a corporate which has ties with this hotel, so I had to contact the front desk manager for booking confirmation with the company negotiated prices. The front desk manager (Donovan) never replied to my e-mails at all. At last I had to get the booking confirmed with the help of one of my colleagues living at the same hotel. Had anxious moments at my home country due to unconfirmed hotel. I was wrong to expect some kind of professionalism to at least reply to e-mails

Next, the service is decent and the house keeping staff is nice but the kitchen staff serving the breakfast & snacks might be rude sometimes.
There is also differential treatment to rooms who have good relationship with the staff. They could provide extra nice kitchen vessels & stuff upon request. For example I was denied a non-stick pan, but I found a nice non-stick pan in another room who had requested for it.

The room overall is not that satisfactory because of the old fashioned kitchen equipment. I live in a 1 Bedroom suite and it is over 30 nights now. I find a few dissatisfactory moments when I see 1. The shower not effective.
2. The bathtub cannot hold water in it! (the water plug isn't effective & leaks water to the sink)
3. The laundry driers doesn't dry off the clothes completely in 1 cycle.
4. The drinking water is completely chlorinated & needs boiling before consumption.

Room Tip: Try to get friendly with the kitchen staff and you might get good service. There's AC in the be...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sriram s
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear sriram s,

First, I would like to say thank you for joining us for your extended stay to the area. We greatly appreciate your business. In regards to the booking process, I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you in person if you are still available. It is our priority to honor existing reservations, and over the last few months, we have had many sold out dates during the Boston Marathon and several area college graduations, prohibiting us from taking any additional rooms. I’m glad that we finally had availability to get you in!

I am very sorry for the service you mentioned from our kitchen staff, and will be certain to share your comments directly with them. Further, please contact me directly so I can understand what additional kitchen items you would need. Each suite is supplied with the same set of cooking supplies, and items such as non-stick pans are not regularly kept in the Hotel. You also mentioned several dissatisfactory items in your room, and it would be my pleasure to personally address those if you can contact me.

As an extended stay Hotel, we strive to provide a home like atmosphere, and remain committed to providing quality accommodations and superior service. Your comments are greatly appreciated, and you have my assurance that many of these items can be addressed quickly.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in a 2 BR suite for 5 days. Overall very nice. Only issue was a strong mold smell originating from the vanity sink in one of the bedrooms. We weren't around much and it was not a big deal. The thermostat did not work one evening but when I called, they had someone up to fix it in 10 minutes so it is more of a kudo to the place than a knock. We enjoyed a high floor corner with good city views. Good breakfast. Beds were too hard for my wife and daughter but perfect for me!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Airfotog,

I would like to thank you and your family for staying with us recently. I hope you enjoyed the newly renovated rooms, and I’m sure the Two Bedroom Suite gave you and the rest of the family plenty of room to spread out and relax.

Thank you for making a note of the issue with the vanity sink. I would appreciate if you can contact me directly at the Hotel so I can obtain your specific room information. That would allow me to investigate and resolve the issue right away. I’m glad that the thermostat was resolved quickly by our team. We recently had new energy saving thermostats installed in every room to help reduce our carbon footprint.

If you and your family find yourself returning, I hope you will consider staying with us again. I am in the final stages of planning the replacement of our beds, so hopefully we would have one that everyone in the family enjoys!

Thanks again for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

Warm regards,