“Great Place for Family Visits to Boston”

Residence Inn Boston Cambridge
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Place for Family Visits to Boston”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I took my family to Boston for a few days and we stayed at the Residence Inn. The cost was cheaper than getting two hotel rooms and the space was adequate. The location was good, since it is near the Kendall redline stop. It is also near the trolley tour stop as well. The staff was very friendly and helpful in answering our questions.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I really like the Residence Inn business model, probably more than Hampton Inn but less than Homewood Suites and certainly much better than Holiday Inn. This is as good as any Residence Inn that I have stayed in. The beds were comfortable, the room was large (for the Boston/Cambridge area), and the breakfast options were good. The hotel was always spotlessly clean and staffed by helpful, friendly people. If you need some business services (as I did), the wifi is good and they can scan & email documents for you.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Mutiny,

I’m glad that you like the Residence Inn business model; so do I! I have worked for Marriott for almost 23 years and spent time in many of our brands. I have especially enjoyed the spacious style of room that Residence Inn offers, including the complimentary morning breakfast.

Thank you for providing comments about your recent stay with your family. I will be sure to pass along the notes about the Hotel being cleaned spotlessly by helpful and friendly people. We promote an environment of fun, with each associate dedicated towards providing a memorable experience. I will also be certain to give thanks to the Front Desk for providing business services that you found useful.

If you and your family are traveling this way again, I hope we will see you on a return trip. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I could assist with your future reservations.

Deep South
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed in a one room suite for three nights with my son. He stayed on the pullout sofa and said it was comfortable enough. Not a fancy room, but the room was very quiet, clean, comfortable and large enough so it didn't feel like we were stepping on each other. Refrigerator, silverware, etc. make it easy to store some essentials (e.g., beer, ice cream, water). Very good breakfast buffet - lots of choices and the staff was super attentive. It does get a bit hectic in the morning, but what do you expect from a free breakfast buffet in a suite hotel. The hotel was convenient to the metro which made getting around the city very easy. Would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed in a two bedroom unit with my daughter. We were first assigned to a room that backed up to an elevator on the twelfth floor but got switched to a corner room on the eleventh floor facing the somewhat busy street down below. Very good view and and the noise level on the Saturday morning was minimal but on the Friday morning you can hear the numerous buses, so I would recommend the side of the building which faces the alley behind the hotel. The rooms were very nice and actually trendy for a Residence Inn. The workout room was great and the breakfast areas was large and well stocked. Ok, so the reason its average is that we had to reset the AC compressor in the room multiple times to get the AC to work. Also, they have programmed the controls so you can't set it below 70. I am all for the environment, but 68 or 69 would have been great!

Room Tip: Face the parking garage behind the hotel.
1 Thank David_Aggie
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear David_Aggie,

Thank you for staying with us last week. I am glad to hear that you found our newly renovated rooms to be trendy. We put a lot of thought into the design during the recent renovation. I appreciate the comments about the complimentary breakfast as well, and will be sure to pass this along to the associates.

I apologize that you experienced difficulty with the AC controls. We recently installed new thermostats in all of the guest rooms. The new thermostat is set up on the Hotel’s network to recognize when the room becomes occupied through our property management system. Once occupied, the guest has the ability to control the temperature to a wide range for their desired comfort. After researching your particular room unit, I discovered that the interface which handles communication was not working properly at the time you checked in to the Hotel. This affected your thermostat by leaving it in a “vacant” mode, and only giving it a limited range of temperature settings. This deficiency has been tested and corrected so that all thermostats stay synchronized properly.

Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. We took a key learning from your posting, as the Director of Engineering was able to make a programming change to the thermostat system. It now enables a wider range of input regardless of its occupied mode. This enables the Hotel to still be energy conscious but deliver guest comfort. Thanks again for taking the time to provide your feedback. If I can be of further assistance, please contact me directly.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Close to MIT and downtown Boston. Great rooms with kitchen. Breakfast was a full buffet which changed from day to day. Very comfortable dining area. I'd recommend staying on lower floors as elevator ride during morning rush can be somewhat long.

2 Thank BarreMP
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 adults in a 2 queen beds studio and there was a lot of space in the room! Kitchen, living room, clean, modern, good food, ... perfect! We asked for a 20$ single rolling bed (witch was comfortable for a rolling!) and combine with the sofa bed, the 4 of us had a bed. I couldn't find another hotel configured like this in Boston below 300$.

Congrats!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank latoast12
Longview, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I travel to MIT every 2-3 weeks and usually stay in the nearby Marriott Boston Cambridge but since I travelled with family this time I decided to stay in the next door Residence Inn and was quite happy with the experience. Spacious rooms, good breakfast, convenient location.
Giving it 4 stars since it's still quite expensive and if you're a price-sensitive traveler you may be better off with more reasonably priced nearby alternatives.
Also if you're a Marriott Rewards Elite don't count on any upgrades - for some reason they are very rarely available (even in February when the hotel is seemingly empty).

1 Thank Denis L
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Denis L,

Thank you for giving us a try when you brought your family on this latest trip to visit MIT. I’m so pleased to hear that the larger spacious suite and complimentary breakfast helped your family to enjoy their stay.

I’m sorry that we weren’t able to offer you an upgrade during this last stay. We often have large groups staying for several months throughout the year that occupy our larger suites. As a Marriott Rewards Elite member, I respect the amount of traveling that you experience. Next time you are planning a trip to the area please feel free to contact me directly, and I will do my best to secure an upgraded room for you.

I appreciate your taking the time to post your comments and especially for choosing our Hotel. I hope to see you back on a return trip soon.