“All good except for the Internet” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Niagara Falls, NY
“All good except for the Internet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge when visiting Microsoft on business. The price for a nights stay is far cheaper than most nice places in Cambridge. The location is easy to find, and parking was ample. Checking was friendly and fast. I was given a floor on the 8th floor, next to the elevator (I bid on the room), and the room was clean, albeit small. There was a small fridge, a microwave, coffeemaker and flat screen TV. Toilet was a bit tricky to flush, and the water pressure in the shower was adequate, but not great.

For the most part the hotel was quiet during my stay. Because of my proximity, I did hear the elevator, but did not hear my neighbors.

Breakfast was standard fare for a holiday inn express, eggs, meats, cereal, bread, yogurt, cinnamon rolls and pancakes. Breakfast tasted good and was warm.

Location was good. It was a 20 minute walk for me to get to Microsoft. There is a plaza almost next door with a pharmacy and supermarket, a McDonald's in that plaza, and a Dunkin donuts practically on each corner.

My only disappointment was the internet. Very poor speed and dropped connections pretty consistently. I had thought it was limited to my room, but the lobby computer had poor internet (and browser crashes) as well.

I would definitely stay again for leisure, but would think twice if it was for business, due to the internet.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank dak1124
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear dak1124 -

We are sorry that our internet service was not satisfactory for your stay. This is an issue that we have heard recently from our guests and as a result, we have begun an upgrade of our wireless intenet system. This process should be done shortly and when you return for your next visit, yoiu will see a marked improvement.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Turkish first
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Once inside the doors this hotel was great. Staff was friendly and helpful. Decor is modern and clean. Our room was clean and the spacious. Just a few blocks to the train and then a few minutes to downtown. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank tklasinski
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear tklasinski -

We are so pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and you were correct to point out our friendly staff and close proximity to the T subway station at Lechmere. It truly is the best and least expensive way to get into Boston. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a second time while traveling for business. This hotel has the best value in the area because of their free breakfast, internet and parking. Rooms are really modern and clean. The location is so close to the T, which brought me right into downtown Boston, that I didn't need to use my car once. There are some great restaurants up the street and the front desk was able to give me some really awesome recommendations. Staff was always really helpful and nice. It was great having a microwave and refrigerator in the room to reheat what I brought back. I also brought my AppleTV and was able to hook it up to the TV in the room. There is a supermarket next door and the Cambridgeside Galleria mall a few blocks away which was also convenient. Next time I'm in town I will try to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mattytravels
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear mattytravels -

Your comments are absolutely correct and we are so happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our staff knows our area and knows how to get our guests into the city of Boston using the T, which as you mentioned is just a short walk from our hotel. Thanks again for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Holiday Inn Express Boston/Cambridge is just what you'd expect: A nice big room, with a work desk, at a much lower rate than you'd pay for similar accommodations downtown. "Free" WiFi was adequate, although I've seen faster.The "free" buffet breakfast was a bit better than par, with hot eggs and bacon along with the ubiquitous breads, cereals, and such. When I was there, two college or high school teams were staying, too, which means a bit of noise and horsing around that you wouldn't find at the Ritz-Carlton. For drivers, there's onsite parking; for the car-less, as I was, the Lechmere stop on the T was about four blocks away -- normally not a problem, but a bit of a hassle in 4 inches of snow. I found one good restaurant within two blocks (EastSide Cafe), but for more choices you have to travel. A fairly extensive strip mall is also quite close, in case yu forgot anything, and a discount liquor store is across the street.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GeezerEd
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. As you pointed out, we are just three blocks from the T and public transportation to anywhere in Boston or Cambridge. We offer a great value to guests visiting Boston and we are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to your next visit.
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for one night in November 2013. Check-in was very easy & the woman working at the front desk was extremely friendly. The room was very clean and looked like it had recently been renovated due to the modern décor. Bed was very comfortable as well. The bathroom was also extremely clean which I appreciated. The complimentary Wi-Fi was a nice added bonus.The complimentary breakfast bar had a nice variety of hot & cold foods available. I especially enjoyed the delicious, fresh cinnamon rolls that were served. Checkout was easy & there was plenty of parking available. Overall I had a great experience at this hotel & nothing bad to say. I will definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jrae81
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Jrae81 -

It sounds like we exceeded your expectations on your recent stay with us and we appreciate you choosing our location for your visit. Our staff strives to make sure that all of our guests enjoy their experience here and that starts with our front desk agents and our housekeepers. We will share your kind words with the team and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Great time, easy access, nice area, public transport close by. Boston & area is on my list of things to see again. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, made us feel right at home. Rooms were spacious, street side is noisier but not unbearable.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Tigger671 -

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that you felt so welcome by our staff during your hockey trip. We thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Sherbrooke, QC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Pros: good value, good rooms, good breakfast, decent location, parking available

Cons: horrible housekeeping, poor Internet access, weird HVAC control, unsafe-looking overflow parking lot

Details:

On the pros first, the hotel offers good value but the price to be paid is the somehow awkward location (on the outskirts of an industrial area in a neighborhood that looks somehow seedy). This being said, the neighborhood actually looks worse than it actually is (we have never felt unsafe around the hotel), the nearest T stop is only minutes away, and a large strip mall can be had literally next door. MIT is within walking distance (about 20 minutes away by foot).

Limited parking is available on the premises and looks safe and sound. The overflow parking lot however is across the street in front of a store that has been out of business for a long time. I am not sure about how unsafe that area is for vehicles left there overnight (especially with out-of-country license plates such as ours), but it certainly looks so to me.

The rooms are nicely appointed. The furniture looks new and is largely practical (though I wish we had more than one armchair in the room). The power outlets are plentiful. The hotel is situated on a busy highway so traffic noise is to be expected, but such noise is surprisingly well controlled and it was never an issue for us. Sleep quality is very good.

The complimentary breakfast is good. The food is fresh and reasonably varied from the usual muffins and jam to at least two egg-based dishes. Coffee is bad though (a brownish liquid with a vague taste of burnt coffee beans), but is available throughout the day.

A somehow minor cons for the hotel is big honking HVAC unit which we positively hate. It is noisy and produces strong drafts throughout the room. In fairness though such a unit is the norm in North American hotels of this star rating. The main problem however is that the built-in control of the unit was replaced in this hotel by a wall thermostat. This is in principle a good idea, but in practice the particular wall thermostat installed in our room did not have separate cycles for heating and cooling and has almost no hysteresis loop in its control logic. The end result is that the unit often heats and then immediately starts a cooling cycle for a brief yet quite uncomfortable period. This brain-dead control logic was not good for us and certainly not for the AC compressor. We are sure that the stock control of the HVAC unit would have done a superior job.

A more substantial cons is the Internet access. When we arrived we could not even speed test the connection (it was that poor). The next day a speed test yielded 0.41 Mbps (yes, you read it right, that's bits not bytes). This was the highest speed we got throughout our stay. Numerous ports are blocked. Port 25 (SMTP) is intercepted and redirected to a Comcast server. This is in my book a really ugly thing to do: if you want to block emails then block port 25 outright; otherwise a less technically inclined person will send her emails blissfully unaware that a third party is intercepting them.

By far the biggest cons for this hotel is housekeeping. When we came in the bed sheets were crumpled as if somebody slept in them before. We even found something on them that looked suspiciously like hair. We asked for a change of the bed linen the next day and we marked the existing set to see what happens. We thus noticed that the sheets were changed but we still got the original pillow covers! This is just appalling. On the day of our departure we got a (very brief!) knock on the door and immediately afterward (with no delay whatsoever) I witnessed a card in the lock and an attempt to open the door (the safety latch prevented the latter). This happened at about 8:30 in the morning and was repeated a couple of hours afterward. The second time I opened the door and faced the housekeeper who responded with "it's OK" in place of an apology. Now, I do expect that the housekeeping staff will want to enter a hotel room. What I definitely do not expect is for this to happen early in the morning. I would also expect a chance to react before the staff barges in (such as a delay between knocking and opening the door).

It should be noted that the front desk staff was polite and efficient. Our problem is strictly restricted to housekeeping staff.

Overall this is a thoroughly reasonable hotel except for housekeeping. We enjoyed our stay, but we cannot dismiss the fact that we probably slept in bed linen used by somebody else. We certainly hope that our experience on the matter was the exception rather than the norm, but nonetheless we will hesitate to book into Holiday Inn in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
We are very sorry that you did you fully enjoy your stay with us. Our location is not for everyone and we wish you great success in finding a hotel that meets your needs on your next trip to Boston.