“Quirky and quintessentially Italian/Sardinian perhaps?”

Monte Turri Luxury Retreat
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Arbatax
London
“Quirky and quintessentially Italian/Sardinian perhaps?”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We just got back 3 days ago, having spent 2 weeks at this retreat. The journey to the hotel from Olbia Airport was an adventure in itself. The road, which our Sat Nav insisted upon, was closed for no apparent reason and there were no diversion signs or hints of how we should proceed to get to Tortoli. It took us four and a half hours to get there (it should have taken just over 2 hours).- we encountered herds of sheep, goats and cows on the roads. We thanked our lucky stars that our journey was not in the dark but in the afternoon. We could not find the entrance to the Monte Turri Hotel unproblematically. There are no big signs to say that you are there. Luckily the person we asked on the hillside worked at the resort and was able to direct us to reception.

On arrival we were exhausted and just needed to unwind and relax. Life in the UK seems so crazy and so fast that we just wanted everything to slow down. Two weeks later, we left feeling so chilled out - we had been on something of a journey at Monte Turri but we felt totally relaxed and we will never forget our time there. It was amusing, entertaining and totally enjoyable.

The first shock was that the room was 79 steps down through the gardens from the reception. Had we known this, we would have insisted that someone should carry both our suitcases (and not just mine), as my husband has a weak back from a slipped disc last year. The first question to ask is obviously how many steps down to my room...? I loved the way that the room was like a little house - it was a little dark inside the room but spotlessly clean and also very cool. I loved the window over our bed, which had mosquito netting to prevent unwanted visitors but provided air at night. It was not at all damp but maybe it depends on the time of year. I was able to use the Wifi by sitting just outside the door of our room but sometimes the signal was not strong enough.
The restaurant terrace, where we had breakfast and on a few occasions dinner, had stunningly spectacular views. It was such a pleasure to sit there and enjoy the sound of the seagulls echoing from the cliffs around the sparkling waters. The coffee was Italian and delicious - we had breakfast at a leisurely pace and enjoyed every minute of it. The dinners were more than adequate but more expensive than the Borgo Restaurant, where the "others" dined further down the cliff. The buffet and free-flowing wine downstairs was a very attractive proposition - the range of starters alone was impressive. I liked the large, communal tables, where you could talk to other guests more easily and what a range of nationalities! For 20 euros you could have as much food as you wanted and also red, white wine or beer on tap. I thought that the food was even better than "upstairs" at the Monte Turri restaurant as there were so many dishes on offer every evening. I was pleased that we had not paid for half-board.
The Arbatax Park is a very strange construct indeed. The Monte Turri part at the top appears to be trying to be a 4 star resort (refined and discriminating - for example the piano playing every night in the bar) and down below, where the swimming pool is and the Borgo restaurant, it turns into something else. I found it completely fascinating - the whole concept of 42 orange-outfitted young people of different nationalities, smiling and dancing. At first it was puzzling but I found out after the first few days that they were "animators" and were there to offer services to the "others" - not the Monte Turri guests specifically but "the others", who were wearing armbands to demonstrate their "all-inclusiveness." If you go to any of the shows, put on by the "orange people" I have some important advice - the amphi theatre is not very well lit at night and the stairs down are not evenly spread, so watch your step and do not take a tumble in front of the whole assembled audience as I did! If you have children with you, make sure you ask about the suitability of the show. Out of the 3 which I saw and enjoyed, one was totally unsuitable - much too much sexual content for any age group. No one complained but I heard many people talking about how shocked they had been, having their children with them. It was similar in delivery to Rai Uno TV!
We were lucky enough to have a car for the whole time and we enjoyed exploring at the beginning, looking for a beach where we could hang out. The cove at the resort was lovely for a quick swim in the evening but too small and rocky to spend a lot of time there. Apparently there was kayaking available every morning although we were only informed of this by one of the "orange people". I did join in with their aqua-aerobic sessions when I was there. The evening singers in the pool area were dreadful and my husband objected to the music played every day, which did not facilitate relaxing by the pool.
We discovered some great beaches; Cea and Orri to the south and they became our favourite destinations. In the main season, which apparently starts middle of June, it will be a different experience. A lot of the time we had the whole bay to ourselves but more sunbeds were appearing every day. Also we did not have to pay for parking - the sunbeds are also more expensive later on in the season. The sea here is divine; different shades of blue; pristinely clear and clean, golden sand (but really amazing with flecks of gold everywhere in the sand). I had some great walks along the beach with a bit of scramble across the rocks to get into the next bay. Perfect opportunity to just "stand and stare" and recuperate.
The lack of organisation, particularly the lack of information, which other people have mentioned in their reviews, is irritating. However, I started to find it amusing and regarded it as an adventure. On arrival we were given a map, the mysteries of which we are still trying to unravel. Every time we asked a question, we were given another map! These maps did not help because of the different levels of the resort. I do not think we explored the whole of the resort although we did have some wonderful encounters in the gardens with a wild boar, goats and a little deer. I could write much more but I think I have given you my impressions of the Monte Turri resort. We loved it but I can imagine that you would either hate it or adore it. If you don't like "quirky", don't go but you will miss out on a fascinating and unique experience!

Room Tip: I heard that the rooms 1 - 8 in the main building ( ie no stairs just a lift) are good. Do not acce...
3 Thank mariannecn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Leiden
Reviewed 8 June 2012 via mobile

Looking at the hotel's website, our expectations were high. We had some difficulties finding the hotel in Tortoli since the signs for the hotel are rather erratic. Once there, we marvelled at the spectacular view over the bay of Arbatax with the sun setting.

Since it had been impossible to reach the reception of the hotel by phone, we made a reservation via internet. Since we received a confirmation, we assumed everything was in order. However, when we arrived at the hotel, our reservation was non-existent. The friendly lady at the reception (Francesca) managed to find us a room (number 8) after I had forwarded her their own mail.

The room looked beautiful with a vaulted ceiling with wooden beams, a spacious bathroom including a proper shower, a big twin bed, a modern tv (that didn't work) and a sofa. However, the room was incredibly damp. The resulting smell in the room persisted even with both windows open.

Dinner was served on the terrace. We had made reservations for a table outside so that we could enjoy the view but again there had been some miscommunication and we were seated inside. The waiter had been quite rude to my girlfriend, but his rudeness became hilarious when he refused a couple to sit inside because they thought it was too cold outside. In the end we decided to eat elsewhere and we can highly recommend the nearby restaurant of hotel Arbatasar.

Breakfast was yet again proof for a poorly organised kitchen. Serving instant coffee with whipped milk that was clearly past its expiration date is unworthy of a four star hotel, especially in a country like Italy.

Hotel Monte Turri is part of a Club Med-like resort. You can use the facilities, such as the swimmingpool and the private beach. The potential of this resort is enormous but it would need major refurbishment and probably new kitchen staff. What a shame, such a great location...

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank MartinK1972
Austria
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We decided to book a room in Monti Turri, because it looked lovely with great views... and it was even better... it was so nice to have breakfast every morning with that stunning view of the Arbatax Bay. The breakfast buffet was large and full of different pastries. Due to the overbooking of the terrace, we had dinner in other restaurant of the park resort. It was funny to have to open and close the gate to avoid the escape of the wild animals of the reserve. To get to the beach we had to went down the cliff, it was small and rocky, but lovely, specially for the characteristic red color of the Arbatax coast. And if you are not a fan of rocky beaches... that is not a problem, because the main swimming pool is great. We had an amazing afternoon there.
The receptionist was lovely and she spoke perfect Brazilian Portuguese, she gave us very nice tips for our holidays to explore the east coast of the island. Our only complaint was about the room, we booked a "Tower room" because in the photo the room looked lovely, but when we arrived to the hotel the room was not so great as it looked. Anyway not so bad to spoil our holidays: the tower room has one bedroom, one large sitting area and two bathroom. That part of the resort is one sort of lovely rural village.

Room Tip: Whatever hotel reservation you make, just be sure that it is as it looks in the brochure or website...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FabyRuth
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We just returned from a week at Monte Turri, and I have to say, despite some of the poor reviews, I thought it a good hotel for us and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. That said, an element of truth from the some of the poor reviews prevails, but I can only comment on my experience.
I booked online and got an internet rate of €132 a night B&B for a Tower room. When I called first to check the rate, I was quoted €155, so I booked it online at the cheaper rate.
We rented a car from Cagliari airport, so no experience of the transfer, an easy drive, takes about 2 hours (140km or thereabouts). You do need a car to get anywhere in Sardinia.
The hotel is near the top of a hill (on the left before you reach the lighthouse), and appears to be single level as you arrive due to being built into the hillside beneath you. Plenty of parking. A couple of steps up to reception.

The receptionist, Francesca, was very friendly and speaks very good English, despite the previous reviewers comments. In fact she speaks at least four languages. There is a lift so no need to take the stairs down to the rooms.
We got very lucky with the Tower room, with a small shaded balcony to sit on and a separate Juliet balcony with an absolutely stunning view. The room was very nice, large bathroom with jacuzzi bath, overhead shower, large room, bright, plenty of storage with a seating area, decent firm bed (room 6 for reference, with rooms 2 and 3 being similar).
When I booked online I asked for a sea view and balcony, then I also called reception the day before to reiterate, and although they would not/could not confirm either sea view nor balcony, Francesca did us proud!
Note: not all Tower rooms have a sea view, nor balcony, and the balconies I saw with any view were the Juliet type. If a balcony is important to you, then this may not be the ideal hotel.

May is still offpeak for them, so most of the park and facilities were not open. Bear this in mind, and it's worth to call/e-mail them to ask what will be available. The Monte is part of the Arbatax Park, so you go through to the Park general reception first. There's no direct number for the Monte that I found.

Breakfast was excellent by Italian standards, and indeed by European standards very good. Some of the reviewers here obviously have not suffered the dire breakfasts of Venice/Amalfi/Rome/Florence.
A larger tray for the scrambled eggs would help as they seem to be forever refilling it.
The 'coffee issue' seems to be resolved, and all the staff were very extremely friendly and polite. All of them can speak at least two languages, so for ordering coffee or a boiled egg you really can not go wrong. The only point of note is they do seem to spend most of their time running coffee, and not enough time turning over the tables. A bit more organisation would improve it, but our experience was hardly poor. Getting to breakfast before the 9.30am peak really is the best option. Breakfast on the terrace was wonderful with a stunning view up the coast.

Evening meals were a fixed menu at €25 per head for four courses (off season rate?). There was also a light salad buffet making your dinner 5 courses if that's what you want. This is very good value value for money.
The menu is available at reception and on the notice board just by the front door.
Again, evening meals we had were extremely good, with veggie and fish options. Wine list was very reasonably priced for a 4**** hotel, and the red house wine also decent. Staff again excellent, with nothing negative experienced. The only comment I'd say is you come away a bit too full, so it would be nice to see a 2 or 3 course option with the cost varied. The tables were well spaced and the dining/breakfast area was pleasant.

The hotel bar is also nice, bright, piano player every night, cocktails ranging from €5 to €8 or so, which are extremely well made and presented. There is a second terrace behind reception, and this has great views. The Borgo also has live music every night, until approx 11pm, and this floats up to the Monte, though it's hardly intrusive.

Hotel pool was heated with about 18 loungers off it (towels supplied) under a kind of conservatory which has huge opening windows. Ideal for when it's cool or the wind gets up. The pool is not huge, but fine for a dip or loiter. It's one depth of about 1.5m
There are further pools on the park. The one by the Borgo is mostly for kids and has music playing.
There is another behind the ampitheatre which was closed when we were there. The Monte has a private beach (closed for work when we were there), and there is a further, larger, private cove with safe, easy swimming off the rocks, a life guard and a shower. On the way down to the cove (maybe an 8 minute walk from Monte) are two terraces of loungers with shady/sunny options from the shubbery and excellent views. The rest of the park facilities were closed, but there are pools and beaches at the other end of the park.

The park has animals both fenced in but also roaming (goats, donkeys and boar (with piglets!) out and about). Looks like there are tons of options for activities when it is in season. A key with the room key opens any locked gates you come across (not explained at check in as previous reviewers noted).

Free wi-fi in reception and bar area but no guest computer available.

What was missing was more information. There was no info pack in the rooms, nor at reception, you really have to ask or head along to the Arbatax Park reception area. This is something the Monte should address as a 4**** hotel. There is an information board at the Borgo, but that's not the Monte. At Monte reception is a folder of activities in the area, though I recommend a trip to Sardinian Tourist Services in Tortoli who are the most helpful tourist advisors I've ever come across.

I can see why this hotel has had some poor reviews, and there is plenty of room for improvement, but certainly, for the type of guests we are (out and about every day) we were very happy with the Tower room we had, and the service/staff and food we experienced there.

Room Tip: I can only recommend a Tower room over a garden room.
2 Thank 17clarence
London
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We had an awful experience at this hotel. Firstly when we arrived it was on a high hilltop and unless you have a car very very steep hill to get to. As we thought this was a 4* we had booked a spa and activity break however when we got there the spa was closed indefinitely and there were no activities. When we expressed our concern the receptionist Francesca was rude and told us that's just the way it is and couldn't explain where else to go as her English was poor.

Then we walked down four sets of stairs - carrying our own luggage, went to our garden view room and someone had already occupied it, so we were shown another room where the beds were broken and shown other rooms were the beds were also broken and which smelt of dampness and was not very clean. Then eventually we got shown a half decent room, the beds were ok and seemed newer then the others. Once led into the room by housekeeping, she forgot to leave the key, so when we called Francesca at reception she told us to climb back up the four sets of stairs and collect the key. We told her we were very tired from travelling so if someone could bring us the key it would be appreciated. At this point she became extremely rude and told her that it isn't anyone's job to do this and we had to pick up the key ourselves. At this my husband was not happy, he explained firstly we weren't given the room we were supposed to then when we eventually found one they didn't give us the key! At this she said to my husband that he was not educated as he didn't understand what she was saying, when in fact she couldn't understand English very well at all. We were absolutely livid at her insulting us. We then collected the key and asked to speak to a manager at which she said there were no managers, and so we went to sleep.

The next morning we walked to reception and saw 2 people suited and Francesca was sitting there, and i asked the lady if she was a manager and she was! The was also a gentleman who was a manager and they both were very accommodating, after they saw how upset we were and the treatment we were given, and we told them how unhappy we were they offered to move us to a hotel up the coast an hour away. We jumped at this chance and so glad we did. We stayed at Hotel Branca Maria in Cala Gonone. It was a world apart from Monte Turri.

One more point I would like to make was that the restaurant staff at Monte Turri were extremely helpful and kind. They could see we were unhappy and offered to cook us new things, Franco the restaurant manager was really nice and delivered excellent customer service.

Please be aware if going to this resort the english is very poor of all the staff, the managers can understand and speak well but the staff really dont understand you. They couldn't understand when we asked for an Iron or water etc. So basic English is even poor. Also be aware how awful the beds are in the garden view rooms, and how far you have to climb up and down stairs to the garden view. Also the swimming pool is tiny you could barely fit 5 people in there to swim freely. There is nothing around this resort except a small fishing village where there are hardly any places to eat. I should have read the reviews in more depth and then I would not have come here.

I hope this review is useful, as I definitely would not recommend this place to anyone. Especially after the way we were treated by staff members. But i thank the management who accommodated us appropriately.

Apologies for long review had to get everything in!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ju55y71
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed for 4 days in a garden room.
We read the reviews and wondered if we made a good choice. Well, we did not regret it.
The room itself was very simple but perfectly clean.
We chose this hotel for its park and it is really wonderful with all the animals and the views...
The restaurant was just average, the food is not the best you could get in Sardinia but not the worst either.
The staff was extremely nice and helpful.
My only complain would be that our room was near an iron gate so noisy it would wake me up every morning.

I definitely recommend this hotel.

2 Thank FloMLondon
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed for a week from 17th Sept. I read the reviews after I booked and was prepared for the worst. After looking at the views outside the main reception I knew we would have a good time. Please note that Sardinia is a mountainous island so if your not prepared to walk around in your flipflops then this is not the place for you. There is a free bus which takes you around the island called adamo & eve. In the resort theres lots to do, archery, tennis, various swimming pools, beaches, bars and a spa which is free to use (we found out it was free after paying 45 euros :s). The hotel itself is a little badly run as it doesnt explain to you what is on offer, but all staff spoke quite good english and when in doubt we ASKED it seems alot of the bad views came from comunication problems and if they just asked things would of been solved a little better. We only ate once at the main hotel opting to eat at the borgo restaurant 5 mins down the road where it was an all u can eat & drink buffet for 18euros each (included wine & beer) which turned out to be value for money. The disco was fun... maybe better for the under 18's and the resort staff were friendly and told you about the free beach parties, movies and shows which were on every night. I loved the fact that many of the animals roamed free and was near enough to stroke deers and various other animals. The excursions to the other beaches were breathtaking... white sandy beaches, clearblue water, and a relaxed atmosphere. Prices for drinks in the main hotel were VERY pricey! The best thing to do is to get a chipcard from the hotel 5 mins down the road and drink at there bar its much cheaper and with the chipcard you can buy meals from other resort restaurants. All in all a good holiday for the price we paid, and if your willing to karate kick the wasps & flies, use your feet and walk, keep an open mind about the service and ask questions you'll have a really amazing time!

Room Tip: Garden rooms were closer to the bus stop & animals
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Theresmoretolife
M0nteTurri, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Monte Turri Luxury Retreat, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Dear Guest,

The staff of the Hotel Relais Monte Turri and I want to thank you for your appreciation in response to your last stay in our hotel. The Hotel philosophy is to provide quality customer service.
We are very glad to hear that you could appreciate the added benefit to the guests of the Hotel Relais Monte Turri to move about freely in the Arbatax Park Resort and to enjoy the activities offered by the complex.
We apologize that you have been not informed that all the information required for the Arbatax Park Resort are given in two different Info Points situated in the Reception of the Borgo Hotel and in the Piazza of the Villaggio.

The romantic atmosphere of the Hotel Relais Monte Turri it is the expression of a retreating hotel which recommend tranquility and comfort. The possibility to enjoy the Arbatax Park Resort activities and services it is an added value.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon at the Hotel Relais Monte Turri.

The hotel management joins me to show you our best wishes.
Donatella
Quality and Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arbatax
Arbatax Park Resort - Borgo Cala Moresca
#3 of 12 in Arbatax
Hotel Costa dei Fiori
Hotel Costa dei Fiori
#2 of 14 in Santa Margherita di Pula

Been to Monte Turri Luxury Retreat? Share your experiences!