All reviews steep walk sea view italian hotels beach towels and umbrellas wonderful hotel town centre nice pool fantastic views stunning location early evening late september surrounding mountains rooms are comfortable local beaches yogurt paola hill
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I stayed for a week at the Gustui Maris, and I've been struggling with how I would review the hotel.

My caution is that this is not a cheap place to stay, and if you're lucky enough to be used as we are to staying in 5 Star hotels, then there's a few things missing. So I'm going to post the negatives, but hope you will read on to the end, because I think the positives win out.

Negatives would be, slightly tired rooms, a tiny bathroom, with no bath and only a small shower cubicle, no English channel I could find on the TV (a blessing some might say), and always having to go and find someone to bring you a drink at the pool as opposed to them coming to ask if you might like something occasionally. Room service isn't really something the hotel is set up for, and the charge makes ordering just a coffee prohibitive.

So there aren't hundreds of staff running around at your permanent beck and call, but if you like a sense of peace and quiet, then this might be the hotel for you.

The owners are lovely, and if you stay more than a couple of days, you will by then recognise all the staff. Every one of them is kind, welcoming, and genuinely wanting you to enjoy your stay, right down to the waitresses, and including the night porter, whose charm is only exceeded by his moustache.

We reserved an exclusive room with sea view, and this is one area where the hotel really excels. The views are stunning, looking out across Cala Gonone, and across the bay to Cala Luna in the distance.

The pool is great, and there's plenty of loungers. The hotel when we were there was delightfully free of kids (sorry parents), and all the clientelle just seemed to want some peace, quiet, and quality time, in what is a stunning part of the world.

The walk back up from town is mildly strenuous, but if you're reasonably fit, and take it at a fair pace, then it's a cracking way to walk off some of your dinner before bed.

As food goes, the towns restaurants are fairly average in terms of offering seafood, pasta, and pizza's. The best food we ate at was actually at the hotel, and the stunning views from the terrace make it a special place.

This is a privately run hotel, and therefore has its own quirks and idiosyncracies, but for all that it's well worth a try.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a balcony, with a sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T0bySJ
Reviewed 20 September 2013

A comfortable boutique hotel with a great view and swimming pool over looking the town and coastline. The staff were extremely helpful. Our dinner and the food generally were first class. The position is high above the village which is a decent climb if you choose to walk.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We booked a standard room in the hotel for six nights during September 2013. On arrival at 23:30 the staff (Mr Seffarino) was helpful and friendly. However, The room was disappointing (211). The light on the ceiling was broken, the shower had a two inch gap between the doors, which took three days to fix, with the gap getting smaller each day! The temperature in the shower fluctuated widely from scolding hot to cold. The bin in the bathroom did not open using the pedal ad there was no basic bottle opener, which should have been in all rooms. It was clear the hotel new of all of these faults as they immediately told us that we had been upgraded to a room with a balcony. What they did not say was that the balcony would have staff passing all the time (during the day) and was basically just around the corner from where the cleaning staff kept their trolleys and also where the rubbish was stored. We were forced to keep the curtains closed the whole time. I eventually complained and was given a new room for our final two nights. The temperature issue with the shower still remained even in the new room and the soundproofing of the rooms was highlighted to us when we could clearly hear the conversations of other guests in adjoining rooms. I discussed this with one other guest a middle aged man who mentioned that he had been told to keep his voice down by another guest when he was just chatting with his wife in his own room.

The staff did everything they could to put things right. However, given the long list of issues that there were with our initial room I refuse to believe that they were not aware of most of them already. They were simply playing the upgrade game in the hope that we would not complain. In any case when I downgraded to the room that we should have got it was superior in most aspects so it was clear that the upgrade spiel was just a bluff. This made the whole stay a bit disappointing. My guess is that most guests who stay for a few nights will not be put out enough to complain and leave feeling moderately happy. I am however amazed that this hotel is ranked number one in Cala Gonone. All it proves is that there is no competition. This is not a hotel for a prolonged stay as eventually the weaknesses and lack of attention to details becomes glaringly obvious. I would not recommend this hotel and, as is probably already obvious, I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are told you have a free upgrade be very afraid!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LorenzoBK
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This is a great hotel with stunning views over the bay. The staff are very friendly and offered lots of advice about where to go whilst we were there. Delicious breakfast with just about everything you could want which we ate on the terrace. Would definitely like to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Lovely hotel with a fabulous view. Nice rooms with good sized balcony overlooking the stunning bay below. The staff were very friendly and there are nice touches such as umbrellas and beach equipment which guests can borrow for trips to the beach. Breakfast was varied with lots of fresh fruit and cakes and pastries in addition to the usual breakfast fare.
The walk to town is about 10 minutes but it is a steep hill to climb back up but there are plenty of parking places both in town and by the hotel and taxis are easy to find if you don't want to walk.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple