Cala Gonone - a relatively unheralded yet magnificent part of Sardinia, with so much to offer to a couple seeking beautiful beaches, water, relaxation and even a bit of adventure. This hotel is a perfect springboard for exploring this beautiful region - the perfect place to come home to at the end of a day at sea, exploring via scooter or just sunbathing at the beach.
1. Staff - Paula and Vincenza were wonderful, with a genuine customer-service ethos. At the core of this hotel's philosophy is to make the guest as relaxed as possible, and these two embody this perfectly.
2. Location - Perched on a hill, this hotel has a truly stunning location - magnificent mountains behind you, and 180 degree views of the beautiful Gulf of Orosei in front of you. This spot is worthy of special occasions, celebrations or proposals. Yes, you have to walk 15 minutes to get to town - and this can get sweaty in hot weather - but we began to appreciate this as a way to compensate for our gastric over-indulgences.
3. Pool & Gardens - the front gardens offer stunning views of the bay and a gorgeous pool just about large enough to do laps in, with a small waterfall adding to the serene ambience. On days we weren't exploring, this is a great place to unwind and read a book or enjoy the view.
There were no real negatives here at all.
ROOMS-The rooms are comfortable although not luxury. They are large and clean, most with balconies and decent bathrooms. We didnt have a balcony, although I would recommend getting a room with one - as the views here are too die for.
FOOD - breakfast was simple but tasty, with some local and original dishes making this better than a regular continental breakfast, e.g. local Sardinian cheese, Italian omelettes. The only disappointment was that the quality of the coffee was not great. Lunch options are limited to baguettes / paninis, but the one time we had this, it was very tasty. Dinner is very good, and most couples choose to take this outdoors as its such a beautiful setting.
I highly recommend this hotel and hope to come back some day.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CALA GONONE
1. For trips / scooter hire / kayak hire - Prima Sardegna, with an office in the town centre , were very reasonable and very helpful. Chiara gave particularly good service
2. For motorboat (Zodiac) hire - Skipper - well-priced and helpful. A boat should cost you roughly 120-140 Euros for a day's hire in peak season, with fuel as extra. If you prefer to travel in a group with a driver, this company also offers these tours. We took our boat to Cala Mariolu, Cala Biriola and Cala Sisine - all as beautiful as each other; but we later regretted not stopping at Grotto Azzurra, where you can apparently swim in the crystal-clear turquoise waters of this small cave.
3. Restaurants - many were good, but we particularly liked La Favorita Ristorante (huge variety of pizzas and all very tasty) and Bue Marino Hotel rooftop restaurant (great views and very tasty food). As a vegetarian I was surprised at how well I was catered for at the various restaurants, with veggie options clearly indicated on most menus.
4. To do - Cave trips - Grotto de Bue Marino was really beautiful, eerily quite and empty caves with crystal clear waters running through, where seals once came to give birth away from predators.
If you're contemplating where to go in Sardinia, and you've come across Cala Gonone - dont hesitate - its a remote but truly beautiful part of the island, where you can relax and unwind or explore nature at its finest.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Villa Gustui Maris reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Gustui Maris
- Gustui Maris Hotel
- Hotel Villa Gustui Maris Sardinia/Cala Gonone