“Disappointing and unprofessional”
Review of Hotel Cala Luna

Hotel Cala Luna
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Cala Gonone
Reviewed 15 November 2010

My wife and I stopped here on one of our five stops on our honeymoon. Things started ok for the first few days...the staff wasn't exactly friendly but they're weren't too bad either. Then my wife and I asked about a trip to the beaches since the hotel told us they have a zodiac tour that they share with another hotel. The said they had room for us but we had to leave right then...so we said yes and went up to the room to quickly grab our stuff. We quickly decided that we didn't want to rush and that we should just do it the next day. When I went to tell the hotel 5 minutes later, the woman yelled at me in the middle of the lobby even though I had only told them we wanted to go 5 minutes before. I know we were being indecisive, but in now way would I ever expect to be treated like this. From that point on we felt that the hotel was annoyed with us for being there, and that they didn't really want tourists there at all...a bad impression to make if you're in the tourism industry (even if truthfully that's the way you feel). I'll never recommend going here to anyone I know.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank inquisitivemike

Reviewed 22 July 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a few nights during my week in Sardinia.
Got the last room, small, with a view over the back yard - a bit disappointing. (Make sure you ask for a room with a sea view!)

Though that was made up by very friendly staff!
Also very nice breakfast with stunning views!
Price was alright - I would even dare to say good value for money!

Clean very quiet room, though as mentioned a bit small, without any view except kitchen entrance...
Offer your guests such basics as free Wifi and parking, and you would have had five stars from me...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2009

It would be difficult to beat Hotel Cala Luna's location. Just a step away from the beach and at least twenty bars and restaurants it is ideally situated for the traveller who just wants to bask and indulge. However, Cala Gonome is also a great starting point for some spectacular walks and little sea excursions.

Cala Gonome is small and the hotel is easy to find. Parking is on the street or in the car park at the southern end of the beach. It is either free (white spaces) or 5 euros per day (blue spaces). The sea view room we were in was adequate in size and storage space for two people. The balcony was small, but again adequate (how big does a balcony need to be?!). The reception staff were helpful and friendly and there was enough variety at breakfast to have a different combination of food every day for a week - with a little imagination! And, no-one should complain about freshly baked croissants. The public areas in the hotel were constantly cleaned when we were there, and the room was serviced as soon as we left each morning. Reception staff were courteous, helpful and speak good English. We would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sterch
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Stayed 5 nights at Hotel Cala Luna with my wife, three kids and grandparents. The hotel is very comfortable and has a great breakfast. At first the staff seemed to be very friendly, until we had a complaint then they turned down right rude and for the next four days would turn their heads as we walked by. All we did was send back a plate of spagetti. All in all not a bad hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Harum
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We already went twice to the Cala Luna, once in '97 when it was still 2 stars but not less good, and once in 2007. We loved both our stays, even if I liked the hotel more when it was 2 stars. More value for money, less minimalist decoration, nice green and fresh looking furniture in the rooms.
Anyhow, still loved it : excellent restaurant with splendid terrace right on the sea, good breakfast, breathtaking view from our room on the Bay of Orosei, roof terrace with view, nice room, still good value.
Cala Gonone is one of the nicest places to be in Sardinia: the beach itself is not spectacular, but the Golfo di Orosei is full of deserted beaches - only by boat- and the town boasts many great restaurants and a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Thoroughly dissapointed with our stay at this hotel. Finished a three week tour of Italy with a 6 day stay at the Hotel Cala Luna. This was one of the more expensive hotels we stayed in and I can assure you much we had better service and accommodation in hotels as cheap as 30E a night. On arrival we were greeted by the frosty reception staff/managers of the hotel who didnt manage a smile throughout our stay. On entry to room 60 (check you are not in this room before your stay) we quickly realised sleep deprivation was going to play a big part in our stay. As the room was located next to the stair-well we were kept awake all night by people walking up and down the stairs as it sounded like people were thudding on the wall as the room would actually shake each time this happened. On the first morning we notified reception of this who agreed this is a very noisy room but said if we wanted to check out we would have to settle the balance for all of the days but ?kindly agreed to move us to room 61 away from the stairs in a couple of days and also give us the pleasure of paying extra for this. After 3 nights of no sleep we moved to another noisy but bearable room, but dissapointingly the staff were just as frosty and did not even apologise for the inconvenience but actually made us feel guilty for complaining by treating us with a significant lack of respect.
The bue marino on the other hand seems a lovely hotel and we dined on their roof top terrace on numerous occasions so we look forward to going back to stay there next year.
As for cala gonone this is a truly amazing place so we had a fantastic time there, but unfortunately the sub-standard hotel stay did tarnish our memories. Renting a speed boat there really is fantastic and a once in a life time experience.
Hope this review helps you, have a great time

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelbugs777Uk
Reviewed 3 August 2009

This is a long one but please read on!
I booked a week's holiday in February, largely on excellent comments on Trip Advisor. We checked our timings just before leaving home and realised we had a late flight meaning we would get to the hotel after they closed check in (11pm). I emailed on 20th July, 6 days before our flight and explained this in English asking that they tell me if it would cause a problem to arrive late. I heard nothing so I emailed again on 25th. this time in Italian and explained that we would probably get there at 1.00 in the morning. Again I heard nothing so eventually on the morning of our flight, I telephoned. The person who answered said it was "No Problem" and that they would be able to check us in late. I again said we'd get there at 1.00 in the morning. She did say to phone from the airport when we arrived. What with one thing and another, we forgot to phone when we arrived and started the longish drive from Cagliari Airport ( three hours if you don't know the way and it's night time and you're more used to driving on the other side of the road). By the time I remembered it was after 11 and I guessed they'd just have me down as an anally retentive Englishman considering I'd emailed twice and phoned that morning.
We arrived to a dark hotel at 1.00 on the dot. We tried the doors, rang the bell three times, phoned the hotel switchboard number and the out of hours number and all we got was an answer phone message, in Italian of course. After about 15 minutes we gave up and drove the car to a darkish road out of the centre of town and slept quite well in the car. Well worse things have happened and to be fair we've both slept in worse places! The next morning, as soon as they opened we checked in. The person on reception at that time of day was very shocked to hear that we'd had to sleep in the car and said it was her uncle's job to be available at that time of night and he must have gone for a walk.
We were unperturbed, had a shower, a good breakfast and headed off for the beach. We had a lovely week. The staff are very friendly, the food is good, the rooms are cleaned very thoroughly. We would recommend it highly. However, after a sublime week of sunbathing, snorkelling and siteseeing, it went like this! A perfect early morning swim, shower, breakfast and then, having packed, we went to check out. I think it was a different member of the family on reception to the one who ahd checked us in but she knew who we were. I asked how many nights we were being charged for and she confirmed 6 nights at 110 euros which was what I expected rather than the 7 that would have included the night in the car. She printed the invoice but that showed 7 nights at 110 euros. I pointed this out and she said she needed to check with her colleague. I thought she needed to see how to reprint the invoice or adjust the accountancy some how. Suddenly I heard a stream of abuse in Italian. Reception had 6 or 7 others in it and I looked round to see if anyone knew what was going on. Then I realised it was directed at me, this other woman, one of the proprietors, was shouting half in Italian, half in English that I should pay the full cost and if I'd gone to the bar next door they would have found someone to let us in. This went on for several minutes and there was no pacifying her. Please believe me, I am a very reasonable person but I then decided that if they couldn't be bothered to answer any emails, pass on a telephone message or ensure the uncle didn't go for a walk when he should have been waiting for us, they hadn't earnt the 110 euros. I refused to pay. We left having paid for 6 nights and an extra couple of breakfasts. It ruined a very pleasant stay. I warned them that this would result in a message on Trip Advisor. She offered no conciliation and I hate doing this! Be warned, if you're going to be late, telephone from the airport and rather than sleep in the car, ask at the bar next door.
Apart from this minor blip it was sublime. Have a good Summer!
Guy Hawthorn, August 09