“Perfect!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Cisterne

Le Cisterne
Ranked #24 of 64 Restaurants in Castelsardo
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The restaurant is on the ground floor of an ancient builting were you can still see the original water cisterns.Our menu consists of fresh local fish, lobster,spider crabs, beef and also vegetarian options.
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I did my research before my trip, printed off all the listings from Trip Advisor, and promptly left them at home!
So, needless to say I was relieved when we found this, tucked away up by the castle.
Set in the castle wall (by the looks of things) it was very atmospheric. The food was very good, and a reasonable price.
We ate from the set menu, my partner had sea food, and I had veggie option. The bill was EUR 47 for 3 courses, a glass of red wine each, and the local liquer. We paid extra for water and coffee.
It was the perfect place to spend my very special birthday!

Visited May 2013

Lymm, United Kingdom
“Fantastic service, traditional Sardinia.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

We drove through Castelsardo at the tail end of a long day and decided to park up and look for a place to eat. After walking through a fair bit of the town, and dodging any number of seedy looking eateries, we climbed higher until we were within the walls of the old town that butts-up to the castle itself. After a few false starts with places that were heavy on the tourist schmaltz, we stumbled (literally) up some steps and into a small courtyard that was the domain of "Le Cisterne".

The waiter/owner was more than happy to hand us a menu to look over without insisting we sit down at a table - always a plus - and on learning that my partner was vegan could not have been more helpful . . . and not in that dreadful fake manner where they are just desperate not to lose a sale. He clearly knew the menu well as he pondered some dishes that I would have considered possibly safe bets before dismissing them. Eventually he started to suggest bespoke dishes not on the menu, which was pretty much exactly what we wanted at that time. I ordered an interesting set menu of local meat dishes and got much, much more than I could eat with every course. My partner enjoyed her food as much as I enjoyed mine.

The impressive efforts of the owner/waiter continued with dessert, as I was given a plate of mixed Sardinian sweets/biscuits, which he then worked through to determine if any of them were vegan. One was, and he then remember that he had a second that also met the requirements, so disappeared and returned with the extra helping.

The food was very good, the service could not have been bettered and it was exactly what we needed for the evening, right down to the provision of a hot pot of fruit tea for the Missus. Three good courses each, wine for me, tea for the Missus and copious amounts of mineral water for under 50 Euro? Yeah, very much worth it too.

If you are up there seeing the Castle, stick at address into google and give it a visit.

• Visited May 2013
Turin, Italy
“Old Castelsardo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

Overall it was a great experience.
Sitting inside is much comfortable even though outside is more caratteristic. The food is very good and good choice over the menu. We would reccomend to let the cook suggest you for the choice of the day. Appetizer quite interesting while we would definitely go for pastas and fish. Be aware that the wine is expensive. We spent 65€/each (we were 5) with appetizers, pasta, second dish and 3 good bottles of wine. Not sure if we would come back anyway, seems like a once in a lifetime experience more than a recurrent restaurant.

london
“Original ingredients Local food delicious and tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Just by a pure hasard we have found this restaurant and it made our evening. This is the only place where we have eaten fresh tuna bottarga. The decor is in a grotto in a small passage. Ideal in a hot day in the summer. The desserts were just a wonder. The owner insisted to make ma have a try at once ... free ... to complete my discovery of the Sardinian food

• Visited September 2011