“Tacos and cold beer...yum!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
boston,ma.
“Tacos and cold beer...yum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

We were looking for a place to grab a bite to eat before heading down to Boarding House Park for a concert and decided on Mr Jalapeno's. We liked the decor and the prices looked good too. We took a window seat and ordered up a peach margarita and a negra modelo. Thyey brought the ndrinks and salsa which was really good and very hot! I had never had salsa made that way and we both liked it. We then ordered a pork taco and a pork burrito. The burrito was enormous and we brought half back home with us. The taco was delicious too. It seems people have mixed feelings about this place but we enjoyed it and plan on visiting again soon when we're back in Loqwell for another concert.

• Visited July 2011
Thank ricka..

“You will waste you life waiting to be served.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

Went here prior to a concert. Yes, they got busy all at once. But give us chips & salsa & then no drinks for 30 minutes? And act totally unconcerned about it? And have the person who was supposed to be making our pitcher of margaritas wrap silverware instead? I can't tell you how frustrating it was and I would have left in a heartbeat if there had been another option. My food came out ten minutes after the other 6 at our table and the checks were wrong at the end. The one server was in the weeds and got no help from the others. A tablemate got the silverware & brought us our drinks. Really the worst restaurant experience I've had in a really long time.

Tewksbury, Massachusetts
“Don't go!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2011

I wish I could give it no stars. This cannot possibly be considered authentic Mexican. I used to live in California where I had many friends who were Mexican and would cook fresh authentic Mexican food and it was so amazingly delicious, nothing like Mr. Jalapeno's.

The salsa was completely flavorless. It was made from those grocery store tomatoes that are pale pink and hard. You can dice them up, add a pinch or two of cilantro and a bit of onion but it still tastes horrible. The tortilla chips were fat and greasy not, thin and crispy. When even my kids are willing to leave a bowl full of tortilla chips sitting untouched on the table you know they are bad.

The burritos seemed to be in some sort of fried dough (honestly it seemed just like the pie crust I made, dough not a tortilla) and had frozen peas, carrots and corn in them. I had ordered a beef burrito so I'm not sure why there were the gross, flavorless tidbits of veggies tossed in. I honestly wouldn't mind real vegetables in there. There was also a big black hair in my burrito, if I hadn't already been ready to be sick now I really was.

I left the burrito on the plate and left. The service was passable.

They only take cash, not that it matters because you should just not go here!

• Visited May 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Derry, New Hampshire
“WONDERFUL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

I hadnt read any reviews when I walked into this restaurant yesterday with 5 adults and 4 older children. One member of our party had been before (about a year ago) and had a great experience, so we popped in for a quick dinner.
The first thing I noticed was that the server oozed of friendliness and pride. We acutally complemented her on great service.
The food was, in one word, amazing. A few reviews were comparing their experience to Tex-Mex. I can honestly say there was nothing about this restaurant that implied it was tex-mex. In fact, from the decor to the staff to the salsa (amazing, fresh, spicy, addicting) and obviously home-made tortillas, the entire experience screamed of authenic MEXICO - no United States here. If that's what you're looking for, go elsewhere.

I can say, after reading the reviews (I had only hopped on here to post their site on my facebook page and maybe leave a great review) the only similarity was in having a credit card issue - but only because they ONLY took cash. Not a problem, however, since the prices (even for our amazing fresh enormous margaritas!) were so lowl! Our dishes were all under $9 dollars and our fishbowl-sized margaritas were $8.
I plan on driving 30 minutes out of my way to visit this little surprise again very soon.

• Visited April 2011
Westford, Massachusetts
“Cold food and slow service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

There will NOT be a next time for this restaurant. The service was slow and the food was cold and they no longer take credit cards. Sounds like they are in a death spiral.
The location and the festive interior fooled us.
We came to eat before going to the concert and thought a couple of burritos would be quick. WRONG - it took over 45 minutes for our food to come out. This is not a big place, a waiter & a waitress/manager were on duty.
The waiter brought out chips & salsa only after he gave some to a couple of other tables who sat after us. Then he thought to give us some. Then only when another table looked at him funny did he think to give them some too.
When our burritos finally came, the insides were cold. I tried to get the waiters attention, but finally I had to take my plate up to the manager behind the counter.
We we're never asked how our dinner was or anything. I had to go up and ask for the bill. Then when the waiter brought it he immediately disappeared.
I went back up to the counter to pay. They have Visa & MC signs on the menu, but she said they no longer take them because it is too hard.
I wish it were a better place, the interior seemed kinda cool and the menu looked interesting, however, next time it is to Mambo Grill if we are downtown and want burritos.
I see a review entered on 6/1/2010 saying the staff is in start up mode. Start up mode since 2008? or are there new owners? Either way, we will not be back.