“Great learning fun”

Boott Cotton Mills Museum
Ranked #2 of 29 things to do in Lowell
More attraction details
Owner description: This former textile mill is a reminder of the changes the Industrial Revolution brought to Lowell, and to America.
Reviewed 1 August 2013

If you have any family members/ancestors who worked in a factory this is a must do for you and your kids. So many people today do not appreciate how hard the lives were for families who either moved to the cities to get those Industrial Revolution jobs or who immigrated here and had to start from scratch. This really gives you a clear sense of how oppressive it must have been to work in a textile factory during that time. There is a room with working looms, only a small portion of them are running and it is deafening! Do check it out, it is really a fun learning experience for adult and older kids (10 and up).

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Well worth a visit. Explains the history and process of making textiles in a step by step process. Very good place to take children to help them understand industrialization in the U.S.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

This museum is very immersive right up to the ear plugs to walk the weave room production floors. The technology and economic history is on rich display. I wouldn't have brought very young kids here, but 8+ would enjoy it. See my NHP review for more details of our day in Lowell.

1  Thank Darryl P
Reviewed 15 December 2012

A great place to go if you are in the Lowell,MA area. There is so much history here.
You will love the Mills. They show you everything about the Cotton Mills of Lowell.
Must put on you list of things to do.
Older children may like it, but it is more for adults.

1  Thank Paula H
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Very well done museum, worth a visit. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I planned a stop here while on my vacation in Cape Ann and Concord, MA. Well worth the trip as I am a Kerouac fan and I appreciated the beautiful brick buildings which were so important to Lowell in the past. Follow the directions on the NPS website for parking at the visitor center. Take your parking ticket in to the visitor center to have validated and your parking is free. The visitor center's Kerouac movie was not playing till 4 pm, but the park rangers told me that as it was not busy they would play it for me. (I was there at 9:30 am) My daughter and I took the 90 minute canal tour $8 for me, $6 for a 12-year old. Call ahead and make reservations as they fill quickly. Great tour, wish we had taken a longer one as it was so interesting. After the canal tour, we walked to the Boott Mill, stopping on Merrimack St. for some lunch. $7 for two big slices of pizza and a drink at a pizza place. Easy walk to the mill, and you pass Kerouac Park (which is tiny, had some questionable characters hanging around and not worth a separate visit, but if you are walking by anyway, why not stop for a quick look.) My 12- year old was never bored, enjoyed the museum upstairs. Although my daughter did see the BBC production of North & South recently which gave her a background on the cotton mills. There are some activities for children. Plan on 4-5 hours if taking the canal tour. The canal tour went by Kerouac's high school and the Sun Newspaper building where Kerouac once worked. Plenty of places to picnic on benches under shade trees near visitor center or ask a ranger to recommend a place to eat nearby. We learned alot and are glad we made the trip!

2  Thank mrmisrule