“Wonderful Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lowell
Merrick, NY
“Wonderful Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

My husband and I were to stay for two nights, August 26-28. We checked in on Friday and went to see a show in the nearby park, but with Hurricane Irene approaching we were becoming increasingly anxious about getting home to Long Island. We returned to the hotel after the show, but decided to leave that night to beat the bad weather and possible bridge closings. The staff was incredibly understanding and even credited us the full cost.

There weren't alot of extra amenities at the hotel (workout room is small, no pool) but the room was nice and perfect for our needs, the concert in the park was great,and the neighborhood looked interesting. Unfortunately we didn't have alot of time to explore, but I hope we have the chance to return in the near future. We will definitely return to UMass.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IGAK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We came to see a concert at Boarding House Park and could walk there.
Very accomodating staff & great value. would recommend it highly & would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Chattanooga, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

This is the second time in two years that I have attended a course at UMASS Lowell. The previous time I stayed at another hotel with better ratings but decided to give this place a chance as it is conveniently located downtown and near the seminar. The hotel staff I encountered were all very nice and helpful. The rooms were "clean" but very outdated and had scuff marks on the walls and stains on the carpet. Old CRT TV and no artwork on the walls. In addition, my soap and shampoo was not replaced or refilled the entire week of my stay and some days the towels would be replaced and others not. I also found a missing toiletry item I had brought with me. Not a terrible expensive item but the idea that room service would take it is discomforting.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Lowell hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

Located within the Lowell Historical Park, an Industrial heritage park.
It's a large Conference Hotel. Rooms a bit dated but clean. Staff friendly and helpful.
Convenient to walk to Boarding House Park for the opening Show of their annual season of
"Festival in the Park".
Chris Isaak was the Star attraction.
If you haven't seen him perform before, you don't know what you are missing.
One of the greatest live performers you are likely to see.
Rock & Roll, Ballads, Love songs and he can really sing.
Lots of humour. Really gets the audience involved.
A sunny evening sitting on a blanket or sand chair with your own picnic.
What more could you ask for ?
Mustn't forget to spend a day wandering the old mills and a canal boat ride.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LordAntony
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

My daughter and I were in Lowell to visit the University and this was the perfect place to stay. Yes, it is half dorms and half hotel, but it wasn't a problem at all. I never heard the students at all unless I was in the lobby and even then they are in their own seperate area (with seperate entrance/exit) and it's glassed off so you can see them but the sounds are muffled. I had a great room with a private porch looking at the lock, which is currently running high and fast with lots of runoff from the mountains. For some reason I didn't find the matress too comfortable though my daughter had no issues the one night she spent there. It probably is hard to find, as other reviewers mentioned, but since the coach took us everywhere we didn't have to look for the hotel... lucky us! This is where I will stay when I visit my daughter in the future!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

We periodically travel to Lowell on business and were very disappointed when the DoubleTree Inn closed down (same building). It was set in an ideal location (just blocks from lively Palmer Street and all the historical sights) and it overlooked the old canal system for which Lowell is famous. Fortunately, UMass Lowell renovated the building and did an amazing job! In fact, the rooms/beds are far more comfortable and luxurious than before. First floor rooms include canal-side private porches. The common breakfast area also overlooks the canal, and is bright and spacious. A bar has been added with excellent food. The service is top notch, and the rooms and public areas spotless. This is without question THE place to stay when visiting this area.

Room Tip: Last-minute get-away package
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Pema2
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

I had to travel for business to Woburn and Chelmsford for a couple meetings, live in Vermont so Lowell seemed a good spot. Turned out its a great spot, especially at this hotel, walking distance to some very good restaurants and pubs, etc, which of course I took advantage of. The hotel itself is so unique, because it houses local UMASS students and I assume classes as well, in fact the hotel for the public only takes up one or two floors. I had complimentary breakfast in a small room, with an extremely nice gal from some exotic country who greeted and we chatted about yogurt from Europe, the news, etc, always nice.

As I was leaving my car would not start, big problem, as a colleague was on his way from Marlboro to Chelmsford and we had a 9 am meeting. My car always starts, and it was not the battery, bigger problem, like AAA kind of problem. Anyway, gave up on the car and called my friend and asked him to pick me up (he was North on 495). Only problem (gremlins I am sure), he lost his GPS the previous night at his hotel and had no idea how to get into downtown Lowell (who would ?). So I went to the very nice person at the front desk, and, honest truth, she spent 10 minutes on the phone with my bud directing him right to the hotel, no easy feat, but she knew where he was at every point, even while he missed a couple turns, it was comical really, BUT service above and beyond for sure!

I think the staff is excellent, as is the location, room was very nice, walkable to good food and pub, of course I will come back. End of story, after our meetings I tried the car again, it started, and I drove right back to VT, no stops !, working fine ever since, go figure.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowell
Courtyard Boston Lowell/Chelmsford
BEST WESTERN PLUS Chelmsford Inn
Radisson Hotel and Suites Chelmsford / Lowell
Fairfield Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Residence Inn Boston Tewksbury/Andover
Stonehedge Inn
Stonehedge Inn
#1 of 1 in Tyngsboro

Been to UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!